Windows Updates

tommyp

But I didn't understood what you found in table 7 :(

No real problem. It's just that if I had followed the File Checker's advice and removed WindowsXP-KB969898-x86-ENU.exe and replaced it with KB973346 as suggested, when I ran File Checker again it would have then told me that, no, KB973346 is obsolete and it has been replaced by KB973525, as shown in Table 7 by this line -

MS09-032: ActiveX Kill Bits (cumulative) (973346) --- Critical --- Replaced by MS09-055: ActiveX Kill Bits (KB973525)
OK, understood! :D "replaced" is just an information. Not a necessary information but for me sometimes I'm interested for this information. "missing" is the only hint that an updated was expected in the HF-Sub-Folders.
Here's a monkey wrench for XP. If you use wm9, you can upgrade to the v9.5 codecs using wmfdist95.exe in HF. These codecs don't have as many DRM as WMP11 does. HFSLIP already takes care of necessary hotfix updates if you use wmfdist95.exe. ;)
In which category belongs wmfdist95.exe?
  • Optional Update for Windows XP SP3 in general (independend from the installed WMP which means it makes also sense when someone installs WMP11)?
  • Or is this just an optional update for WMP9? (than I would add a new table for WMP9 to my list).

Regards, Mimo

Hello Mim0,

Regarding your update list:

• KB958911 (optional GDI+ update) needs to be removed from table 3 (and your update checker), as it is outdated and has been superseded by KB958869 (MS09-062).
  • KB976098 (cumulative timezone update) is listed as to be put into HFSVCPACK_SW1. Any special reason for this? I have found that it works flawlessly in HF.

Kind regards,

Tomalak

mim0/Muppet Hunter -

Just a heads up. HFSLIP can slipstream WM11 codecs and not the player for XP. This could wreak havok if one were not using hfcleanup (I got my hfcleanup'd install down to 160 meg with all my codecs and drivers!!!). I'll come up with a list of what's needed codecwise for this.

Edited by tommyp

• KB958911 (optional GDI+ update) needs to be removed from table 3 (and your update checker), as it is outdated and has been superseded by KB958869 (MS09-062).
Oh, thx for that Info! :)

• KB976098 (cumulative timezone update) is listed as to be put into HFSVCPACK_SW1. Any special reason for this? I have found that it works flawlessly in HF.
Hmm... I found this info on the list which is now maintained by MH. And I think I have something in mind that tommyp has written something about that (but I'm not sure).

Regards, Mimo

Edited by Mim0

@Tommy

I've just changed back to Win2k again, and this of course means using hfslip! (the xp hfcleanup fileset wasen't stable at the time i changed to XP...)

Anyway, i just wanted to ask what the "Don't do it!" note of KB958470 relates to; is it the same as "Junk" or do you reffer to not using remote desktop in general (which i don't) ?

Sorry for being dence :)

Also, sorry for being off-topic, but while i'm posting to you anyway, then i noticed that i have an entry in 'add/remove programs' which states "Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4", and i didn't remember having that, last i used hfslip/win2k ? Hmm, maybe it's fdv adding that, since i'm using his latest fileset ? (i haven't looked at his INFs yet)...

CU, Martin.

Edit: Please ignore my second question:

FDV:

- free-av says "rollup must be installed" but it -is- so I'll have a look into what it thinks it wants at some point

Edited by Martin H

Hi Martin. Hope all is well. Unfortunatly I had to convert to XP and finally say goodbye to 2k. Because I loathed XP so much, I had to rip it a new orifice and generated/fixed the files for hfcleanup. It's mature enough for my box and the zip package posted at hfslip.org is the same files I use in my current real machine. This box seems faster than my 2k boxes and installs slightly faster. The only issue I have is WMP classic, but I think I have a way for that. The only time I can really test it out is the next real install. My iso is 160 meg which includes all drivers and codecs and ie core. Without codecs, the install is about 110-120 meg. The goal was to fit on a mini-cd. The goal was achieved.

Remote desktop = remote access to your computer. Personally I prefer to not have someone peek into my machine. I'd recommend to remove remote desktop. I'm sure there is a way to do it with a winnt.sif. I just hfcleanup and don't let it install at all. ;)

Thanks for answering your own Q on the AV program. I always wondered why it would never install for me.

Thanks for your reply, mate!

Cool to hear that you've "stabilized/fixed" the xp fileset!

Myself, i had just spend a good month on making a nLite'd and BartPE'd(for formatting my C: drive unattendedly and loading the XP unattended setup) XP source just the way i wanted it, with tweaks and app-installs etc., but typically, then i've now begun to miss good ol' Win2k, and thought to myself to what purposse i was actually changing over to XP for, so i've wen't back to a nice FDV'd and hfslip'ed win2k yesterday...

Anyway, i'm glad to see that you're still going strong on the hfslip development! :)

CU, Martin.

hello! just a little clarification needed with: Update for Windows XP (KB973687) - WindowsXP-KB973687-x86-ENU.exe has MSXML6.dll

6.20.1103.0 while Update for MSXML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) - msxml6-KB973686-enu-x86.exe has MSXML6.dll 6.20.2003.0 ... doesn't KB973687 revert what is in KB973686?

also, i think it is worth adding something about KB973686 being included in SP3 to this:

2009-11-26

New but not to integrate:

· MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686)

in Mimo's Windows XP Service Pack 3 update-list ... your thoughts Mim0? thanks! Edited by Kiki Burgh

hello! just a little clarification needed with: Update for Windows XP (KB973687) - WindowsXP-KB973687-x86-ENU.exe has MSXML6.dll

6.20.1103.0 while Update for MSXML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973686) - msxml6-KB973686-enu-x86.exe has MSXML6.dll 6.20.2003.0 ... doesn't KB973687 revert what is in KB973686?

also, i think it is worth adding something about KB973686 being included in SP3 to this:

2009-11-26

in Mimo's Windows XP Service Pack 3 update-list ... your thoughts Mim0? thanks!

Hi Kiki,

I didn't remember why I thought KB973686 was not to integrate. But I think, you're right, KB973686 is worth to be listed.

Thx, Mimo

2009-11-26

in Mimo's Windows XP Service Pack 3 update-list ... your thoughts Mim0? thanks!
Hi Kiki,

I didn't remember why I thought KB973686 was not to integrate. But I think, you're right, KB973686 is worth to be listed.

Thx, Mimo

hi Mim0! my apologies if i confused you. there was nothing wrong with what you noted in the table as indeed there's no need to include it. i'm only suggesting to add maybe a little note about it being shipped with xp sp3 ... sp3 includes MSXML 6.0 SP2. ;) a little more info from here could help such as:
Version 6, 4, and 3 may all be installed and running concurrently.
if i may direct you to this, info could be vital too. :)

cheers!

btw, what can be done to prevent KB973687 from overwriting the newer msmxl6.dll in KB973686?

Edited by Kiki Burgh

btw, what can be done to prevent KB973687 from overwriting the newer msmxl6.dll in KB973686?

I have these two updates in HF directory and KB973687 doesn't overwrite the newer msxml6.dll - KB973686 is slipstreamed after KB973687 because of the name of the first one (msxml6-KB973686-enu-x86.exe). I have msxml6.dll 6.20.2003.0.

Edited by Parseus

hi Mim0! my apologies if i confused you. there was nothing wrong with what you noted in the table as indeed there's no need to include it.
I think when KB973686 contains a newer MSXML6 than KB973687, than it's worth to be listed!!! :-) THX again!