Windows Updates

tommyp

thanks for the list mimo ... i am trying to get back to slipstreaming after quite sometime ... just some items that i need clarification on:

(1) WindowsXP-KB971276-v3-x86-ENU.exe links to german update

(2) UPHClean-Setup.msi already has a beta (but is tagged as ver 2)

(3) WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x86-ENU & WindowsXP-KB914440-v12-x86-ENU show in kb articles as for XP SP2 only

(4) do i need both RDCs: KB958469 & KB956744?

(5) is WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-ENU not needed anymore?

(6) would the last column in table 7 suggest downloading some that superseded those in the 1st column? (my apologies but i have not cross-checked possible duplicate among the listed files yet)

any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

hello to everyone! :D

Edited by Kiki Burgh

@Kiki Burgh

Thank you reporting errors and things which are not clear enough!!! :)

> (1) WindowsXP-KB971276-v3-x86-ENU.exe links to german update

THX, i will correct it!

> (2) UPHClean-Setup.msi already has a beta (but is tagged as ver 2)

Don't understand... I took that info but I don't use it by myself. I thought it was 1.6d.

> (3) WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x86-ENU & WindowsXP-KB914440-v12-x86-ENU show in kb articles as for XP SP2 only

For KB939683 you found that info on the download-page not in the KB article. The download-page is from 2007. So don't be confused that there was SP2. But mainly WMP11 is important! :)

For KB914440 it's th same. This tool is from 2006. :)

> (4) do i need both RDCs: KB958469 & KB956744?

No! If you don't update RDC you take 5.2, otherwise the other one!

> (5) is WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-ENU not needed anymore?

It is needed. It's listed in table 2 (sec upd) 2009-08/MS09-037

> (6) would the last column in table 7 suggest downloading some that superseded those in the 1st column? (my apologies but i have not cross-checked possible duplicate among the listed files yet)

table 7 is only information. All what is necessary do download is listed above!

I will correct the list this evening... :)

CU, Mimo

---- EDIT ----

(1) is corrected

(4) theres now an extra hint between tables 1 and 2 for RDC. Also where to take care (in table 2), the hints are now bold.

Edited by Mim0

great! thanks for the clarification Mim0 ... this list will truly help me get back on track. :D

btw, is mdac 2.8 not needed (& if so where does it reside)?

MDAC 2.8 is not needed as separate setup because MDAC 2.8 SP1 is included in SP2 and SP3 for XP (I think MDAC 2.8 SP2 is not available for XP). You can use this Component Checker to verífy what MDAC is installed (of course it should be 2.8 SP1).

Regards, Mimo

RE: Mimo's Windows XP Service Pack 3 update-list

Last Check: 2009, November, 11; Last Update: 2009, November, 11; HFSLIP 1.7.9 (final)

Table 2.

QUESTION: I downloaded file WindowsXP-KB968389-x86-ENU.exe to include in HFSLIP. I checked and found that it is currently installed on my computer; this was done by Windows Updates.

But, should I: 1) use WindowsXP_KB968389_x86.reg, or 2) should I modify it to match my current reg entries, or 3) don't include a .reg file at all? I am a home user.

WindowsXP_KB968389_x86.reg (linked to by MiMo)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]

"LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000003

"SuppressExtendedProtection"=dword:00000000

My current registry entries:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]

"LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000000

<the Suppress... entry is not listed>

Table 6. There is no download link for CDIMAGE.exe. I read that CDIMAGE is an internal Microsoft Tool. In any event, I was able to download CDIMAGE v2.52 from http://elitezoom.com/8-step-to-make-bootab...-vista-dvd.html

Table 11. MuCatalogWebControl.cab is listed twice. Once with description Microsoft Update Engine, and again with description Office Update Engine. Is this as intended?

Thank you very much for all of your hard work! I think you did an amazing job of organizing and linking all of these updates. I really appreciate it. I'm pretty technical, but figuring out these updates and what replaces what is beyond me. I've been using HFSLIP for several years now to use on family/friend installs. I love HFSLIP.

Lilla

Edited by Lilla

Table 2.

QUESTION: I downloaded file WindowsXP-KB968389-x86-ENU.exe to include in HFSLIP. I checked and found that it is currently installed on my computer; this was done by Windows Updates.

But, should I: 1) use WindowsXP_KB968389_x86.reg, or 2) should I modify it to match my current reg entries, or 3) don't include a .reg file at all? I am a home user.

I don't no :) I read the KB-article and think it cannot be wrong to have it activated. But I'm not sure if it's really necessary... And how to set the registry-entries? You find the info in the KB-article. I have a batch which I start manually after installation to set many registry-values for my personal needs. Sorry, that I can't give you a better hint.
Table 6. There is no download link for CDIMAGE.exe. I read that CDIMAGE is an internal Microsoft Tool. In any event, I was able to download CDIMAGE v2.52 from http://elitezoom.com/8-step-to-make-bootab...-vista-dvd.html
Cool! THX for the link!!! :)
Table 11. MuCatalogWebControl.cab is listed twice. Once with description Microsoft Update Engine, and again with description Office Update Engine. Is this as intended?
I took these lists from the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Hotfixes. I don't use these updates, I haven't verified them. Hopefully someone other can answer you.

Regards, Mimo

(page-upload will follow this evening.)

Edited by Mim0

But, should I: 1) use WindowsXP_KB968389_x86.reg, or 2) should I modify it to match my current reg entries, or 3) don't include a .reg file at all?

Since you don't have an entry for SuppressExtendedProtection then you need to apply the regfile if you want to enable Extended Protection for Authentication; your LmCompatibilityLevel should be 3 anyway from a security perspective, regardless of whether you enable Extended Protection.

This update looks like it was backported from Windows 7 and to me looks like it's worth installing as it's strongly recommended.

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/pages/monthl...ugust-2009.aspx

Q: KB968389 was listed as a critical update from within Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). However, the article states that it is a "security update". Just wondering if there are any vulnerabilities if this update is NOT applied?

A: This is a non-security update which does not directly address any vulnerabilities. Not installing this update does not leave your system unprotected against a specific vulnerability. However, this update will allow applications to make use of Extended Protection for Authentication, which is a new functionality that offers more robust protection of authentication credentials. While there is no immediate difference after installing the update, we strongly recommend installing this update so third party applications and Windows components will be able to make use of this strengthened authentication technology. To learn more about Extended Protection for Authentication, we recommend reviewing Security Advisory 973811 for more information on this technology.

But, should I: 1) use WindowsXP_KB968389_x86.reg, or 2) should I modify it to match my current reg entries, or 3) don't include a .reg file at all?

Since you don't have an entry for SuppressExtendedProtection then you need to apply the regfile if you want to enable Extended Protection for Authentication; your LmCompatibilityLevel should be 3 anyway from a security perspective, regardless of whether you enable Extended Protection.

This update looks like it was backported from Windows 7 and to me looks like it's worth installing as it's strongly recommended.

It sounds then like the .reg file is good for home users like me. So I will install the .reg along with the .exe

Thanks BUNCHES for the clarification.

Lilla

P.S.

MiMo. Consider, add a link to Muppet Hunter's post #280 (at link below) if you think it might help others.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=894020

Edited by Lilla

Tommyp.

Great job on your list for Win2000.

1. I believe your link for "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" is wrong as it points to v7.2.6001.788. You can find v7.4.7600.226 here. I was prompted to "Update Windows" on my first visit to Microsoft Updates.

2. You have "Windows2000-KB937894-x86-ENU.EXE" in the deleted section but it shows as needed in Microsoft Updates.

3. You have "Windows2000-WindowsMedia-KB952069-x86-ENU.exe" in /HF but shouldn't it be put in HFSVCPACK_SW1.

4. You have "Windows2000-KB958470-x86-ENU.EXE" in /HF but shouldn't it be put in HFSVCPACK_SW1. I know you say not to use it but Microsoft Updates says it's needed.

Just my two cents for what it's worth. Thanks for all your hard work. It is appreciated.

M2GD

A minor typo for the Windows 2000 Hotfix list:

"Windows2000-KB917537-x86-ENU.EXE" is listed correctly and its link works, but the corresponding value in the KB Article column has a typo. It reads "917357" where it should read "917537." The link in the KB Article column is a broken link since it has the same typo in it.

New updates from MS:

- Cumulative time zone update KB976098

Hey Mimo. You have Windows Genuine "Annoyance" Notifications listed under "Required to access Windows Update". It isn't needed (and concerning the controversal nature of this update, the less people accidentally install the update, the better).
And I don't need and use anything of them (tables 10&11!) :) I just took these info from formerly update lists. WGA notifications are listet as 'optional'. Should I remove WGA Notifications ? Should I write a warning???
MiMo. Consider, add a link to Muppet Hunter's post #280 (at link below) if you think it might help others.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=894020

Good idea. I think it will help other to decide to install it or not. THX to MH.
Here's an easy way to get boot.bin ...

1. Download boot.img from the link below...

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/15

2. Then rename boot.img to boot.bin

FYI, CDIMAGE.exe at the link above is v2.47; the link I provided in my earlier post is for CDIMAGE 2.52

Thx for the links. Are you having experience with cdimage 2.47? I use 2.52 since years w/o problems.

Regards, Mimo

PS: I will update the list this evening!

Edited by Mim0