Windows Updates

tommyp

@Martin - The header name of the column was deleted on purpose. It's easier for me to maintain lists this way. To make life easier, the files at the bottom are the most recently deleted. Actually I do not want to maintain lists anymore... so things may not be pretty anymore. :)

@TommyP:

Thanks for your reply, mate!

Btw, the dx7 update on the Win2k list(KB961698) has on patch-tuesday been replaced by: MS09-028 - KB971633

How about you yourself just start maintaining an update-list of what you yourself uses(so you don't have to run VMs and use time on stuff you don't use). I mean an update-list of only Win2k-SP4 with DX9, IE6 and wmp6(and just have it as a thread here on the forum)...

Then the XP and 2k3 users could themselves make their own lists...

Also, if i where you, then i would only maintain the Win2k part of HFSLIP(as thats's what you yourself uses), and then let the other OS users make their own changes, but that's just me :)

Anyway, if you can handle to support all three OS's with HFSLIP and update-lists, then more power to you, but i just think that it sounds all to much to handle personally...

CU, Martin :)

Martin - Thanks for pointing out the dx7 error. The page was just sent to FDV a few moments ago.

I do not run the updates with virtual machines, I just update the lists and wait for complaints. If complaints roll in, then a script update has to be implemented (i.e. a new beta). Maintaining the lists is key because it shows the basic file/folder structure for hfslip to work right. Most noobs can't seem to get that. For now, maintaining hfslip and lists takes a few irreplaceable hours of my life each month to do a thankless and non-paying job. One thing particularly aggrivating is when I see the occasional posts by people who continually click refresh on their browswer on patch tuesdays. Once they see that the msft website lists updates, they put the hotfix hyperlinks on this thread. Maybe they are trying to be a hero or something. Anyone can visit msft and pick up the updates. One thing that is good about this thread is when there is some sort of IE8 compatibility hotfix that arises. The msft hotfix page typically does not list them.

Actually anyone with disposable time on their hands can maintain update lists. I'm kind of running out of disposable time these days. Lots of people said they'd help, nobody said they'd do.

@TommyP:

Thanks for your reply, mate :)

I'm pretty sure that this will not help you at all, but just to make sure, then i'll state it nonetheless...

I can maintain the Win2k update-list with all OS-component flavors, if it is instead made a stickied thread here on the forum, and if it is only listing security updates and high-priority non-security updates i.e. non-optional ones...

The reasons for me not wanting to make update-lists, is that i refuse to spend time on anything not Win2k related, and since you want to have the Win2k list(and the others) as html(made with that excel spreadsheet of yours), and as i don't want to spend time learning html, or excel for that matter(i have no use for such things, so i've never bothered learning..).

Lastly, then i apologise for me posting links, but i only did it because it was an out-of-band update and not a regular patch-tuesday type...

Have a nice weekend, mate :hello:

Martin - No need to apologize. The out of band update was appreciated. :) Most of the time, I miss the oddball ones like that. Actually I don't mind doing the 2k lists because I use it. The XP and the various flavors of IE and WMP and other non-essentials are a pita.

July 31, 2009

In case you all had the vorck.com bookmarked, I changed the domain due to code injection.

I think it's probably the hosting company's weakness.

See the first post in the thread for the new links.

It's temporary until I can get this sorted out.

Windows XP Update List:

Please!!! Please Update the list regarding the new SWFLASH.CAB:

http://rapidshare.com/files/262185455/SWFLASH.CAB

Version 10.0.32.18 from July 2009.

I've seen that there are always still downloads of the old version. I will remove the old one. Using the old player is a risk... :(

Thx in advance for maintaining the list... :)

Regards, Mimo

Edited by Mim0

Huh! Of course you can still get trojans and other malware even though IE isn't installed! You're protected against IE exploits(and OE/JScript exploits etc.), but not against all possible windows exploits, or of course your own stupidity either i.e. downloading and running unknown and suspecious files...

Windows isn't bullet-proof with fdv's fileset, but is just more secure than by default!

MartinH is quite right, you're more immune to MSHTML exploits, but you're not 100%, and you cannot be careless or stupid.

And I was stupid -- here's the story.

Part 1: I had recently re-installed my system and had no malware software on it. I had a USB key from a friend that I plugged in (not that it matters but he'd said it was "acting weird" so I told him I'd take a look and just reformat it). Bam! Conficker. Don't let anyone tell you that just having autorun off solves your problems. I didn't know I had it right away, of course.

But wait, it gets better.

I was also looking around for some software that allows Win2k to boot from CD. It exists but the parent company was sold. I don't mind saying that I was scouting for the demo version of the software on some seedy websites since the legit site was loooong gone. I used links from forums, from the wayback machine (internet archive) etc and didn't really use Google, so I would not have seen any malware warnings.

I was using Firefox 2.0.x and visited a poisoned site; I got hit with a Javascript iframe exploit. That's when the computer really started to go to hell.

I know Conficker did more damage as it is an FTP password capturerer and the next thing you know, vorck.com has a bunch of new code in it -- iframe crap. I don't know if the second iframe trick got into Firefox 2, but I do know that Conficker REALLY screwed me up -- I should have made a malware install right away.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

Yeah... I upgraded a hard drive to back up everything to one place and scan it with about 10 different malware and antivirus scanners on a PE disk (Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows). Well, it picks up 590 files (literally -- not joking). So I go about rebuilding what I had from other backups (ultimately, nothing is lost, but you know how much it sucks to have to rebuild what was on a volume by having to get data from 50 other places, from CDs, 20 odd hard drives all mixed from SATA to IDE to SCSI, USB drives, etc).

So I get it all built and restored, in ONE place. All my data back, virus free.

And today that Seagate drive failed. :angry:

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyway, like I said, nothing at all is lost, but I'm not out of the woods yet because I have to collate everything all over again from a LOT of the same old sources. Old unlabelled CDs, a stack of aforementioned hard drives, etc etc.

Edited by fdv

MartinH is quite right, you're more immune to MSHTML exploits, but you're not 100%, and you cannot be careless or stupid.

And I was stupid -- here's the story.

Part 1: I had recently re-installed my system and had no malware software on it. I had a USB key from a friend that I plugged in (not that it matters but he'd said it was "acting weird" so I told him I'd take a look and just reformat it). Bam! Conficker. Don't let anyone tell you that just having autorun off solves your problems. I didn't know I had it right away, of course.

But wait, it gets better.

I was also looking around for some software that allows Win2k to boot from CD. It exists but the parent company was sold. I don't mind saying that I was scouting for the demo version of the software on some seedy websites since the legit site was loooong gone. I used links from forums, from the wayback machine (internet archive) etc and didn't really use Google, so I would not have seen any malware warnings.

I was using Firefox 2.0.x and visited a poisoned site; I got hit with a Javascript iframe exploit. That's when the computer really started to go to hell.

I know Conficker did more damage as it is an FTP password capturerer and the next thing you know, vorck.com has a bunch of new code in it -- iframe crap. I don't know if the second iframe trick got into Firefox 2, but I do know that Conficker REALLY screwed me up -- I should have made a malware install right away.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

Yeah... I upgraded a hard drive to back up everything to one place and scan it with about 10 different malware and antivirus scanners on a PE disk (Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows). Well, it picks up 590 files (literally -- not joking). So I go about rebuilding what I had from other backups (ultimately, nothing is lost, but you know how much it sucks to have to rebuild what was on a volume by having to get data from 50 other places, from CDs, 20 odd hard drives all mixed from SATA to IDE to SCSI, USB drives, etc).

So I get it all built and restored, in ONE place. All my data back, virus free.

And today that Seagate drive failed. :angry:

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyway, like I said, nothing at all is lost, but I'm not out of the woods yet because I have to collate everything all over again from a LOT of the same old sources. Old unlabelled CDs, a stack of aforementioned hard drives, etc etc.

Noob.