Windows Updates

tommyp

@Saladin

Corrections look good to me, except

KB963027 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (supersedes KB963027 KB961620)
applies to IE 7 only. For IE 6 users (and on Windows 2000) supersedes KB958215 & KB960714.

@Brimborium

MSXML 4.0 SP2 + 6.0 SP2
MSXML 4.0 SP2 has been superseded by SP3.

.... This thread is not intended as a game to who posts first on what replaces what on patch Tuesdays. If one needs to get information as early as possible on patch availability visit this site.

Sorry real life got in the way and was not able to touch my PC until today. Does someone else want to maintain the lists?

Thanks for the new beta version to fix the DX9 issue, tommyp. KB961373 integrates without problems now, and the same goes for MSXML 4.0 SP3 (thanks James_A for the hint) if you replace msxml4-KB954430 with msxml.msi in the HF folder.

However, there is a small cosmetic glitch: HFSLIP.log and control panel still show 1.7.9_beta_h instead of i.

Edited by Brimborium

.... This thread is not intended as a game to who posts first on what replaces what on patch Tuesdays. If one needs to get information as early as possible on patch availability visit this site.

Sorry real life got in the way and was not able to touch my PC until today. Does someone else want to maintain the lists?

I could help maintaining the xp list.

On the Win2k page, then this link dosen't work: (page dosen't exist anymore)

IE6.0sp1-KB963027-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...c12f9d69b03b%5C

The correct link is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

(I'm not using IE6 myself, but discovered the issue while updating the HFSLIP folder structure for my fathers PC, and he insists on keeping IE around for bad webpages)

Edited by Martin H

About last patch week and MS09-12.

Why does this bulletin contain two updates for each affected operating system?

This bulletin contains two updates, identified by KB number, for all affected operating systems. Customers of Microsoft Windows 2000 only need to apply update package KB952004. Customers running other affected operating systems need to apply security update packages KB952004 and KB956572 for each operating system as applies in their environment.

The two updates are necessary for most affected operating systems because the modifications that are required to address the vulnerabilities are located in separate components. KB952004 addresses the publicly known issue in the MSDTC transaction facility. KB956572 provides the architectural changes needed to ensure proper service isolation across other services on Windows platforms.

So, XP hotfixes list needs to be updated:

+ KB956572

- KB956841 - MS08-064 (replaced by KB956572)

And, download link for WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe has gone. Probably, file moved somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom :)

Two small things about your Win2k list:

Listed twice: Windows-KB909520-v1.000-x86-ENU.exe

Wrong description: Windows2000-KB967715-x86-ENU.EXE; it's marked as junk and described as "Autorun disable...", but by reading the KB article through, then it states that the update dosen't disable autorun, and i'm not sure that it's really "Junk":

"The updates that this article describes fix a problem with the disable Autorun feature. Without these updates, Autorun for a network drive cannot be disabled"

And:

Does this update change my current Autorun settings?

No. The update does not change the current Autorun settings on your system. Instead, the update lets users correctly enforce Autorun settings.

I've just read Martin's post about KB967715 and I think that the same argument applies to the XP version of the hotfix. However, an additional reason for not describing the XP update as junk is as follows :-

KB967715 updates shell32.dll to version 6.0.2900.5622 and since hfslip uses the QFE version of this update it would effectively include the fix from KB949860 (shell32.dll version 6.0.2900.5555). KB949860 cures the longstanding windows explorer update bug which is most often seen if you use 'run as' to run Windows Exporer as admin for the purposes of carrying out maintenance. Without this hotfix automatic refresh would normally be impaired so that files/folders don't appear or disappear when moving/copying/deleting etc. Dialog boxes relying on the explorer shell which are called from within programs run under different user credentials are also affected.

I'm not sure if 2k was affected by this bug because KB949860 only applied to XP.

Edited by Muppet Hunter

• 2 weeks later...

in the xp updates list, IE8 KB968220 (compatibility update) should be replaced with KB969497

I also think windows media 11 kb929399 should be removed, I ahve never installed it and WU has never asked for it. I think it's optional/not needed/non-critical.

Edited by jvidal

Can someone else verify KB929399? This is one of those fixes that go on and off the list. Besides, it's a bugfix that will typically not get reported as a critical update.

Can someone else verify KB929399? This is one of those fixes that go on and off the list. Besides, it's a bugfix that will typically not get reported as a critical update.

If I remove windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x86-intl.exe from HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder, Windows Update will prompt for download after boot to desktop. (tested in VM only).

now, that's weird, I have NEVER included it and WU has NEVER asked for it.

BTW, it should go in HF, not HFSVCPACK_SW1.

Edited by jvidal

now, that's weird, I have NEVER included it and WU has NEVER asked for it.

BTW, it should go in HF, not HFSVCPACK_SW1.

If WU never ask for update, then check file version for msscp.dll (located in system32).

For my case,

If I did not include windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x86-intl.exe, the file version is 11.0.5721.5145

If I include windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x86-intl.exe, the file version is 11.0.5721.5201

BTW, all my WMP11 hotfix is located in HFSVCPACK_SW1. (As long as it takes /quiet /norestart switch, I put it there)

I'm using hfslip-1.7.9_beta_k.cmd, with WMP11 slipstream method as per HFslip webpage. On XP Pro. WU has no complain about missing WMP11 hotfix so far.

Edit==>: I did another test, with windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x86-intl.exe in HF folder. Also works. (file version is 11.0.5721.5201 ). Hence either HF or HFSVCPACK_SW1 also works.

Edited by Geej