Windows Updates

tommyp

bfc - There's 3 or 4 messages in this thread that address this. My initial hotfix list included this. There was messages that said that it wasn't needed (or at least WU and the MSBLA didn't say it was needed). So, I removed it. I have no problem adding it to the list again.

Can someone please verify that KB951748 is needed? (sorry I don't and won't use XP so I can't check).

bfc - There's 3 or 4 messages in this thread that address this. My initial hotfix list included this. There was messages that said that it wasn't needed (or at least WU and the MSBLA didn't say it was needed). So, I removed it. I have no problem adding it to the list again.

Can someone please verify that KB951748 is needed? (sorry I don't and won't use XP so I can't check).

I just did a fresh install about 4 days ago; KB951748 shows up in Windows Updates, so yes, I think it's needed.

... There was messages that said that it wasn't needed (or at least WU and the MSBLA didn't say it was needed). So, I removed it. I have no problem adding it to the list again.

The reason why WU and MBSA did not list KB951748 on XP SP3 systems was due to a mistake in detection by Microsoft -- they revised the security bulletin on January 13, 2009 and now state that this WU/MBSA detection error has been corrected.

Yea, that's what I was trying to say in this post http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=819917

951748 ... should probably be included in a slipstream process regardless of what WUA and MBSA 2.1 indicate (or don't indicate as the case may be).

I left it in my updates because http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS08-037.mspx didn't have any prior bulletins issued for XPsp3.

tf

Was checking the XP list and noticed couple items for the Optional section for accessing Windows Update.

I saw you did not have wuweb_site.cab listed at all (Windows Update ActiveX control) (http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/.../wuweb_site.cab). Figured you might want to add it since you have the equivalent listed for Microsoft Update.

Also they apparently finally updated LegitCheckControl.cab to something closer to what is in WGA Notification. The current version of the cab is now 1.9.0009.0 version modified on January 7, 2009.

Edited by Shardis

• 2 weeks later...

jimmsta - The update hotfix list is for critical updates, not miscellaneous ones. I won't add exfat support to the list.

wela - Please visit the update list to get the Jan 7, 2009 version. If there is a later one, please advise with a hyperlink. :)

• 2 weeks later...

There is another ActiveX killbits update KB960715 that is not listed on the Feb. security bulletin. It shows up in WU for 2K and XP. It is cumulative and replaces KB956391.

Edit: Works with the last HFSLIP beta 01/07/09

Edited by krose

I'm using a slightly modified HFSLIP 1.7.9 revision D version and I'm amazed it's doing its job without any issues on even the newest hotfixes. I expected at least problems with KB952013, KB955704 or KB961118 but after testing in VMWARE I see every hotfix got installed properly.

I use OnePiece's hotfix list as a reference for creating a Dutch XP SP3 CD. I now have a total number of 145 non-superseded hotfixes in the HF folder, and only one in HFSVCPACK_SW1 (KB955839 timezone update).

:thumbup

The only things I don't integrate currently are Windows Installer 4.5 and Windows Desktop Search 4.0. I don't care about Windows Desktop Search 4.0 but what's the status of Windows Installer 4.5 integrating support?