Slow or no dvd ripping on Vista

fgaine

I've had to install Vista on my main PC as for some unsolved reason I now get a BSOD error every time I try to install XP. Anyway, since I've had Vista, ripping a DVD is a challenging nightmare. I get an error message most of the time on most of the discs Program freezes and I have to abandon the ripping. At best, when it does rip the DVD, it does it at 1.9X when XP could do it at up to 9X, so it takes ages. Any tip on what I can tweak to improve this?

I've tried smartripper, DVDShrink and CloneDVD with the same results...

I've had to install Vista on my main PC as for some unsolved reason I now get a BSOD error every time I try to install XP. Anyway, since I've had Vista, ripping a DVD is a challenging nightmare. I get an error message most of the time on most of the discs Program freezes and I have to abandon the ripping. At best, when it does rip the DVD, it does it at 1.9X when XP could do it at up to 9X, so it takes ages. Any tip on what I can tweak to improve this?

Do you have the latest drivers both firmware and software for your Optical drives? Are you running AnyDVD in the tray and the latest version of that? Is there any other Burning software (Nero? Lightscribe?) taking partial control of the optical drive. In particular Nero early versions (<7.0) were not Vista compatible

Frenchy

Do you have the latest drivers both firmware and software for your Optical drives? Are you running AnyDVD in the tray and the latest version of that? Is there any other Burning software (Nero? Lightscribe?) taking partial control of the optical drive. In particular Nero early versions (<7.0) were not Vista compatible

Frenchy

it is an Advent laptop i bought new in March this year, and there are no software or firmware updates for it around. AnyDVD is not the problem, and it is a recent version. I do have Nero7 installed on it, but I only use Nero Backitup to back up my partitions - and I need a Nero file in the system for the DVD players and other disc applications to work properly. Should I try and upgrade to Nero 8? (hich I hate)

Well certainly some of the early Nero v7.x versions were NOT Vista compatible. But I am not sure upgrading to v8 will solve your ripping problem, unless you pin it down to definitely Nero at fault. Take out anything to do with Nero in the msconfig start page or better use Windows Defender to stop anything Nero loading. If it works, the Nero 7 is at fault. Can you rip the DVD to the HD quickly using Clone DVD2?