disable autorun for virtual drives

mikesw

Various programs mount a file/image as a virtual drive and can unmount it. However,

during the mount autorun/autoplay is run. How does one prevent this, but only for

virtual drives. I can't do this after it has already been mounted and I may not know

the drive letter at the time before it gets mounted. So its hard to predict which

drive letter will be used and will it retain the drive letter being blocked from autorun/play

upon the next virtual drive being mounted.

Edited by mikesw

post-115825-1227239570_thumb.png

=====================================================

I Prefer using Tweak UI. It's a 300 KB Package and canbe download from Microsoft Site. Install it.

Go to My Computer => Drives => Autoplay

Disable the drive(s) by unchecking them. Then Apply and ok. Close.

It Can be done by directly editing Registry but the above process is the safest one.

[PowerToys for Windows XP] => Tweak UI.

Thanks. Hope problem solved.

Edited by badfloppy

I Prefer using Tweak UI. It's a 300 KB Package and canbe download from Microsoft Site. Install it.

It Can be done by directly editing Registry but the above process is the safest one.

OK, the problem he told us is that he uses Virtual Drivers. Not Real drivers...

OK, the problem he told us is that he uses Virtual Drivers. Not Real drivers...

I'm using Acronis Echo software. It has the capability to mount/unmount their 'tib' images.

During the mounting process, a window that is doing autorun is displayed and then pops a window

to ask what to do i.e. take no action, or open it in IE explorer. Note: mounting/unmounting of images

under daemon tools doesn't generate the ftdisk system event warning message. So what

is daemon tools doing that Acronis isn't?

I can disable autorun/play on removable drives such as zip/cd/floppy (not HDDs though).

But I can't disable it doing this while the virtual drive is being mounted. After the drive letter

is assigned, I can then do a properties on it and see the autorun radio box to disable it in the

future. However, at this point it is a mute point since it has already done the autorun/play

during the process of assigning the drive letter and mounting the drive. There is nothing I

can do at this point. I then unmount the virtual drive. The next day I mount it again and

it autoruns/plays the virtual disk being mounted again.

Of course, I can go into msconfig->services and display the service "Shell hardware Detection"

and then this annoying popup wont occur when virtual drives/disks are being mounted. However,

this disables autorun/play for all drives besides just virtual drives/disks.

Hmmm, I wonder if the person who wrote the software has the ability during the mounting

of the virtual disk/drives to tell the OS not to do autorun vs. the user trying to do it.

Stuck at the moment on how to do it :wacko:

Moreover, has anyone experienced during the unmounting of virtual drives/disks that an

'ftdisk' code 57 is written to the system event log saying the system failed to flush data to

the transaction log. Some people say it is due to improper unmounting of a USB drive

or some other removable drive. Thus I presume that Acronis is not unmounting the

virtual drive properly which is generating this warning in the system event log.

Here are some scenarios others did to get this error message. I'm wondering what's the

real cause of this and what can be done to get rid of the event message.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...isk&phase=1

Edited by mikesw

Let us know the program you use, because mine is very simple :D, Just a left clic to the task bar, > Disable Autorun. PS use a true software as... MagicDisc. Very free

left click on my task bar doesn't do anything.

Has anybody run MSofts free tool called "Verify Driver" on an installed software driver

to capture lets say incomplete or proper interfacing for virtual drives. They give

an example for ftdisk.sys, but will this tell me that my system event warning message is

due to the driver?

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Edited by mikesw

Let us know the program you use, because mine is very simple :D, Just a left clic to the task bar, > Disable Autorun. PS use a true software as... MagicDisc. Very free

Really ?

post-218936-1227299212_thumb.png

Edited by Shan_blender

Really ?

From the picture you posted, it will do something with a left click when the magicdisc software is installed

but nothing pertaining to MSoft windows though.