remasters - good or bad?

kamrananvaar

I AM NOT GOOD WITH WORDS AND A FELLOW BLOGGER DOES A GOOD JOB OF SAYING WHAT I,D LIKE TO SAY HIS THREAD

http://www.johnlpreston.co.uk/why-more-peo...ubuntu-to-mepis

SO I COPIED AND PASTE

Hi

I think its a good idea to do remasters , as i was out on the look out for a distro that JUST WORKS, I havent got the bandwidth , net connection and all to download all the rpms etc I was trying to show off Kubuntu to some friends last Tuesday, and because Kubuntu doesn’t contain any proprietary software, I couldn’t play MP3s or video. Needless to say, they instantly thought it was rubbish, because they, along with 99% of the population of Earth, didn’t understand the whole concept of “built with free, open-source software”.This is why more people don’t use Linux, it’s a pain to get set up correctly. The thing that really annoys me is vendor lock-in, which is one reason why many Linux distributions use only free, open software. But it’s gone so far, that now Linux is on the brink of exerting vendor lock-out. It’s this kind of behaviour from many distributions that is causing the slow down, and in some cases reversal, of Linux; people want to be able to do everything they can on Windows on Linux, with minimal fuss. It’s exactly this reason why I switched to ultimate1.7 and pclinuxos2008 he.

According to the poster of pclinuxos2008 he

Quote:

As i've mentioned, this is a distro i've made specifically for an Israeli/Hebrew user. Which is why everything is pre-included in the system, in the US it may be illegal but not in Israel. Even all our DVD Players here are region-free.

Also i'd like to note, that this has nothing to do with official PCLinuxOS, this is a PRIVATE remaster done from it, and it is not endorsed by PCLinuxOS community.

You could basically d/l PCLinuxOS 2007 and do a full update and then add the MP3/DVD and what would be the difference ?

I definately would urge newbies like myself to give it a spin also do try out ultimate 2.0 that also rocks .Most of my friends use xp black edition ie the remastered xp with all the software preinstalled , funny thing is i can get a copy of that in the local market and linux -- no , i dont think so!!