Could vLited OS have caused my BIOS update problems?

MPalmz

I'm a newb to all things technical when it comes to software and hardware, but I used the guide here in these forums to vLite my x64 edition of Vista Home Premium and have had it working flawlessly with no errors or weird behavior for a few days now. Couldn't be happier with the results, quicker loads, less resources etc. etc. I have used the OS extensively to try to root out any weirdness and have found nothing. Boots fine, runs everything fine. Awesome.

Today I tried to update my P5E3 Deluxe motherboard BIOS to the latest official release (1303) using it's ASUS update BIOS updating program which updates the BIOS right in windows. I immediately got an erro saying that it couldn't find CPU information and had to quit. I THEN tried to reboot my PC to see if that would help and I would try to flash the board again. But now it just starts to boot up for like 3 or 4 seconds and then turns off, then 3 or 4 seconds later, it spontaneously turns on again and does that over and over until I just switch off the PSU.

Could this be because of my OS? Or does that sound like a firmware issue with the mobo?

not a vlite issue.

try resetting the CMOS, and to be safer, don't flash from within windows.. it can work fine sometimes, but with all sorts of apps running (av / system protection apps) you can run into problems.

always best to flash from the bios (some have the option), or from a bootable cd/usb/floppy

Today I tried to update my P5E3 Deluxe motherboard BIOS to the latest official release (1303) using it's ASUS update BIOS updating program which updates the BIOS right in windows. I immediately got an erro saying that it couldn't find CPU information and had to quit. I THEN tried to reboot my PC to see if that would help and I would try to flash the board again. But now it just starts to boot up for like 3 or 4 seconds and then turns off, then 3 or 4 seconds later, it spontaneously turns on again and does that over and over until I just switch off the PSU.

Could this be because of my OS? Or does that sound like a firmware issue with the mobo?

"My car had a flat tire so put the spare on. I drove for a few miles then the wheel fell off. The problem must be the engine so I'm getting it replaced."

Does that make any sense to you?

"My car had a flat tire so put the spare on. I drove for a few miles then the wheel fell off. The problem must be the engine so I'm getting it replaced."

Does that make any sense to you?

If you had profound engine vibration, maybe some solid fabricated engine mounts instead of standard rubber ones, combined with a poor install of the spare, then yes actually.

I'm new to this, and had never seen that kind of behavior before. I thought that there could have been a small possibility that I had perhaps altered something with start-up in my vLite and my PC couldn't find something it needed. After some research I realize that that is preposterous, but again, I'm a noob. With all the issues I had with nLite nothing would have surprised me.

not a vlite issue.

try resetting the CMOS, and to be safer, don't flash from within windows.. it can work fine sometimes, but with all sorts of apps running (av / system protection apps) you can run into problems.

always best to flash from the bios (some have the option), or from a bootable cd/usb/floppy

Thank you for this reply. You got me looking into how to reset my CMOS jumper and I learned a ton about BIOS stuff. I guess Asus Update (an official BIOS update utility from Asus) has been notorious for causing these problems. At the official Asus forums everyone warns new guys to NEVER update from Windows using this utility. Must be causing Asus a lot of grief too. So after the CMOS reset was unsuccessful, I took the board to my point of purchase. They tested it and the chip was completely gone. It was fairly new so I exchanged it for an nForce 780i board. Apparently this chip-set is problematic too but EVGA has 10 times the customer service that Asus does.

Anyway, bottom line is vLite had absolutely nothing to do with it, and I thank you for your help.

So after the CMOS reset was unsuccessful, I took the board to my point of purchase. They tested it and the chip was completely gone. It was fairly new so I exchanged it for an nForce 780i board.

Hence me taking so long to reply. :-)

I'm new to this, and had never seen that kind of behavior before. I thought that there could have been a small possibility that I had perhaps altered something with start-up in my vLite and my PC couldn't find something it needed. After some research I realize that that is preposterous, but again, I'm a noob. With all the issues I had with nLite nothing would have surprised me.

You do A, you get result B. Therefore B is caused by A.

You'll save alot of time looking for the obvious first.

I guess Asus Update (an official BIOS update utility from Asus) has been notorious for causing these problems. At the official Asus forums everyone warns new guys to NEVER update from Windows using this utility. Must be causing Asus a lot of grief too. So after the CMOS reset was unsuccessful, I took the board to my point of purchase. They tested it and the chip was completely gone. It was fairly new so I exchanged it for an nForce 780i board. Apparently this chip-set is problematic too but EVGA has 10 times the customer service that Asus does.

Anyway, bottom line is vLite had absolutely nothing to do with it, and I thank you for your help.

Now you know never to mess with the BIOS. If you do, make sure you triple check that:

1. You have the proper BIOS files. Check it again.

2. You do it in DOS mode, or with a built in utility. My BIOS has a utility built in to update itself off a CD/USB.

3. Make sure the flash is done correctly, and its complete. If it goes bad, you can immediately re-flash it again as long as you do not restart the PC.

I've also fried a motherboard with a bad BIOS update. :unsure:

Now you know never to mess with the BIOS. If you do, make sure you triple check that:

1. You have the proper BIOS files. Check it again.

2. You do it in DOS mode, or with a built in utility. My BIOS has a utility built in to update itself off a CD/USB.

3. Make sure the flash is done correctly, and its complete. If it goes bad, you can immediately re-flash it again as long as you do not restart the PC.

I've also fried a motherboard with a bad BIOS update. :unsure:

Indeed. The whole experience has enlightened me. I had a lengthy discussion with a tech about BIOS and some of the do's and don't's. I was lucky they were a really good vendor and took back the fried board no questions asked. Otherwise it was 2 weeks wait for Asus RMA. The board was a refurb. Reason for refurb: "wouldn't post." Which is why the exchange went so well I think. But yes I've learned that BIOS flashing needs to be a carefully executed affair. And...that vLite rules and had nothing to do with it.

Sad part is I had to exchange my 4870x2 for a GTX280.