Windows Desktop Search (WDS)

Duchess

Without knowing exactly what it was for or what it would do, I installed KB940157 and received Windows Search, which removed my faithful Search companion (Rover). :realmad:

I've searched the Knowledge Base, visited numerous forums, been into the registry trying to find a solution. I finally gave up and uninstalled the above KB article.

My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition with SP2. I have two Browsers: Internet Explorer 7 and IE 7 Pro and Mozilla Firefox 3.

Further information will be supplied upon request.

You are my last hope. :thumbup

You know, most everyone hates that dog. As a matter of fact I put him to sleep with the following command:

regsvr32 /s /u %windir%\system32\srchui.dll

So I suppose you can get him back with:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\srchui.dll

what is this windows search i never could understand it and how it different from regular search. other then not beeing able to search a whole hard drive with it like you can with regular windows search.

You can search inside documents, pdf, xps, doc, inf, txt, etc

• 2 weeks later...
what is this windows search i never could understand it and how it different from regular search. other then not beeing able to search a whole hard drive with it like you can with regular windows search.

dose it search hidden files and folder and your hard drive like the old search did i'm thinking of installing it but from the looks of it on there page. It looks like it only searches document and folders like that?

dose it search hidden files and folder and your hard drive like the old search did i'm thinking of installing it but from the looks of it on there page. It looks like it only searches document and folders like that?

"bump"

I don't need WDS for searching IN files. Even Windows XP SP1 was able to do this.

Install / Activate the Indexing Service and change to Advanced Search Options, then in the first line you enter filenames or wildcards (*.ini,*.inf,*.reg), in the second you enter the word you're searching for.

This way you can search in any file which is not compressed (except Zip files), encrypted (except Windows internal encryption) or in any other way not readable with e.g. notepad.

EDIT: I like the dog too and since 1680x1050 he's always waiting for me :) He's still there with advanced search options enabled!

post-196837-1228770497_thumb.png

post-196837-1228770508_thumb.png

Edited by an3k

yeah i new about this all ready but my friend tells me WDS is better so how would i do this with WDS as from what i read it only searches documents and e-mail by defualt. and someone told me if you make it index other parts besides that it slow down the process. is there another whey to search with WDS other then having it index them??.