First Comments

D_block

so after playing with the beta 6801 ppl . What are your comments on it ? from what ive seen after running it for like 2 hrs i think since ive installed it , its like a more detailed vista to me , a bit quicker especially in the defrag category !! after adjusting the taskbar it wasnt that bad to peer at .. startup still too slow for me personally although my pc psecs arent that good

the most problems im having with this so far is IE8 since my basic test with browsers is yahoo pool an youtube ( basic test ) to see if ill get any probs but its not doing the pool thinig for me , so google chrome comes in for that .

all the other software i had on vista and xp also works with no problems so far

so whats you guys First Comment on 6801 ?

I like it although for me Google chrome is buggy. For some reason i can't click the scroll bar. I fail. i was using the older version that wouldn't update. Works fine now. :whistle: . also i was unable to install AVG internet security and Daemon Tools. The Wallpaper Sideshow basically sucks if you have hundreds of wallpapers to choose from since you cant just simply say use all pictures in this folder. you have to choose all the photos. The superbar seems fine as does aero shake. the window snaping thing is cool but eh i could of lived without it.

Edited by blackhartct

• 1 month later...

I love it! I'm using it as a primary OS and I'd never go back to XP SP2 (even though it's not bad!). Vista on the other hand, I can't stand it all. Finally, Microsoft does something good for the home user (I love Win2k3 and Win2008 but I can't install my **** HP 4355 AIO on either one!). I can't wait for the BETA and the RTM. As an pre-BETA OS, it's awesome: no BSOD, no sluggishness, no slow boot-up nor shutdown.And the GUI is great.

Edited by Win2k3EE

As with Vista, my Marvel Yukon ethernet does not work, is not detected and no driver for any OS works with it, which prohibits me from using both ethernet ports to allow for internet connection sharing.

Also in Windows 7, I am unable to control my video card fan speeds with nVidia System Tools. It is required to be adjustable as the fan speed is default stuck at 37% duty cycle (985 RPM) which makes gaming not an option at all. Not going to brick my 8800gts 512 just to run Win7.

No normal quick launch.

No classic start menu.

Uses just as much RAM as Vista SP1 x86 (around 700 to 900 MB used with 4GB installed, system showing as 3.25gb).

Disabling hibernation through gui power management did not remove hibernation, and the hibernation page file on HD. Had to go to command prompt and use command line to remove them.

Slightly better performance in 3D Mark Vantage and in Everest Ultimate Edition benchmarks.

Constant CPU usage. 3-5% per core/core average even after two hours of the PC being idle.

All this pertains to windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000. Does not matter if it is Ultimate, HomeBasic, HomePremium or Business

Edited by Mt.Dew

I installed Windows 7 build 7000 here and it's amazing! Extremely stable and nice and quick. I am very impressed. I did notice one snag when copying a folder with 15gb of files. The status never changed from "Time left: Calculating..." and the file copy details never changed.

Edited by flyingfiddler

As with Vista, my Marvel Yukon ethernet does not work, is not detected and no driver for any OS works with it, which prohibits me from using both ethernet ports to allow for internet connection sharing.

Also in Windows 7, I am unable to control my video card fan speeds with nVidia System Tools. It is required to be adjustable as the fan speed is default stuck at 37% duty cycle (985 RPM) which makes gaming not an option at all. Not going to brick my 8800gts 512 just to run Win7.

No normal quick launch.

No classic start menu.

Uses just as much RAM as Vista SP1 x86 (around 700 to 900 MB used with 4GB installed, system showing as 3.25gb).

Disabling hibernation through gui power management did not remove hibernation, and the hibernation page file on HD. Had to go to command prompt and use command line to remove them.

Slightly better performance in 3D Mark Vantage and in Everest Ultimate Edition benchmarks.

Constant CPU usage. 3-5% per core/core average even after two hours of the PC being idle.

Did you try runing nvidia system tools in vista compatibility mode? This is not Win7's fault but nvidia's for making s***ty apps. nvmixer doesn't work either 'cause nVidia doesn't ghive a sh!t about end-users just as HP. Vista is more than a year old, but nvidia didn't think about making their apps working in Vista.

Edited by Win2k3EE

Did you try runing nvidia system tools in vista compatibility mode? This is not Win7's fault but nvidia's for making s***ty apps. nvmixer doesn't work either 'cause nVidia doesn't ghive a sh!t about end-users just as HP. Vista is more than a year old, but nvidia didn't think about making their apps working in Vista.

Actually, the day after I sent feedback about the video card, a Pre-Release Driver for the 8800gts 512 was available through windows updates. Fan control works. So, they are reading the feedback and working on things.

Also, for you Win2k3EE, install your nvmixer software/audio drivers from the Windows XP drivers and not the vista drivers.

New one is always better than old one. Not a full recreated OS but still worth to upgrade from vista. Movie maker and some other stuff removed. I like to wait for Windows 8 that may have noticable difference to vista. Thumbs up as compared to early longhorn builds as it is not sluggish during installation. Installed in only 14 minutes as compared to vista SP2 ultimate 17 minutes

Let me explain: I managed to install nvmixer using the WinXP SP2 compatibility, but other than showing me the master volume it does nothing. I don't get the full app like in XP to be able to customize the way my music sounds: full bass and treble and so on...

Well,I must say that is a small changes compare Windows7 and Vista.It's still Vista.True that is a little faster and windows movie maker and mail is removed,some small visual stuff is added but the DVD is still 2.4 GB big.The media center crap is still in this OS. :realmad:

Why Microsoft can't made a really clean OS without any other Microsoft stuff in it like IE,Bit Defender and so on,so the users have a choice what to install and use,I just like to see a clean OS and a smaller size in my disk.

Let me explain: I managed to install nvmixer using the WinXP SP2 compatibility, but other than showing me the master volume it does nothing. I don't get the full app like in XP to be able to customize the way my music sounds: full bass and treble and so on...

But what drivers did you use? Vista drivers, or XP drivers?

I installed XP drivers straight out. None of that "compatibility" mode garbage. Works perfectly. Sound environment, surround sound settings, speaker config, EQ....

-edit: rebooted into windows 7 today. Guess what ISN'T working now? Yep, nvmixer. Have sound volume levels, but trying to actually launch the application I get a runtime error.

Edited by Mt.Dew

Why Microsoft can't made a really clean OS without any other Microsoft stuff in it like IE,Bit Defender and so on,so the users have a choice what to install and use,I just like to see a clean OS and a smaller size in my disk.

Why should they do this? Vista is a OS for millions of users who know how to start a PC, write some mails and surf the www. They need the included tools and don't care about other tools

Why should they do this? Vista is a OS for millions of users who know how to start a PC, write some mails and surf the www. They need the included tools and don't care about other tools

At least they could make all those extra's optional again, like was the case up to Windows 2000.