Desk cable management - Your solution

HoudiniMan

At work I contend with 4 ethernet cables, power, USB extensions to boxes on the floor, and of course the phone.

At home I deal with mini USB, proprietary cell/dap/etc cables.

How do you guys manage the cables ON your desk that you use?

I'm looking in to something that mounts on the desk that holds the useful end of the cord and lets the slack hang off the back of the desk like these:

cable_caddy.gif

Or maybe an array of these:

PT-CC750-10_lg.gif

Or this deal:

PT-CC3000_lg.gif

What are your guys' award winning solutions when you need to be able to pull cables a few feet out and have them retract?

I don't attach anything to the desk. I just use some form of a cable wrap to get them all into one or two bundles (depending upon what is on my desk) Usually works out to one for data one for power. But all of my desks have a hole in the top to drop the cables through so this just keep the mess neat on top of the desk, once through the hole after that it looks like spaghetti.

I try to keep it neat, but put a few workstations, a set of 5.1 speakers (a few fiber optic & coax cables), a 4 port KVM switch, a printer, scanner, cradles for various devices, keyboard/mouse/trackball/intuos, chargers, monitor, power to everything, LAN wiring, ATA (for VOIP), some more coax for capturing A/V stuff, a few network devices (routers, switches, etc)... Add to that home theater stuff, phones, gaming consoles and such nearby... It quickly turns into something that looks like spaghetti no matter how hard I try.

i have actually started to separate stuff a bit so that i dont have all of my cables running through the same area, i have half my stuff in one corner and half in the other with my computer in the middle of it, if that made any sense.. it helps to split up the mess and makes cable management much easier. i also no longer have 10 cables running under my desk so that my feet always get tangled in them, now i only have 2 cables.

Edited by ripken204