Last few integration issues

cmmcnamara

Hi, I have been attempting to make a Windows XP SP3 32-bit disc that is fully up to date. So far I've been able to get everything working including some of the hard stuff like all of the .NET frameworks but I'm snagged on a few of them.

These are the following updates I have been unable to integrate:

1. KB892130 Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool
  2. KB890830 Mal Remove Tool
  3. KB956391 Security Update for ActiveX Killbits
  4. KB905474 Windows Genuine Advantage Notification
  5. KB940157 Windows Search 4.0
  6. KB957938 Microsoft Silverlight

I know that most of these can be taken care of using RunOnceEx but I am trying to make this completely unattended. I appreciate any help in advance.

cmmcnamara,

There is a known problem with KB956391, but I think the others should be OK. What do you mean by?

These are the following updates I have been unable to integrate:
If you are getting error messages, please post them. Also please attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini and make sure you are not nLiteing the same source more than once. Running out of GUI RunOnce can be silent (automatic) - use /Passive /NoRestart switches.

Enjoy, John.

Ahh ok let me give it one more try and see how it goes and I'll post the resulting session build afterwards. By integrate I mean to have them slipstreamed so that the windows install resulting from this CD is fully up to date. In respect to GUI RunOnce switches, could you please explain those to me in a little more detail, I have read articles on how to but I become incredibly confused. Thank you for you help.

Edited by cmmcnamara

This would install two seperate sets of hotfixes in a window named "hotfixing" during the runonce.

SET REGKEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %REGKEY% /V TITLE /D "Hotfixing" /f -pretty title for the window

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /VE /D "Installing These 2 hotfixes" /f -pretty bold name with an arrow by it showing its being processed

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%path%\KB######.exe /passive /norestart" /f -silent install of KB#1

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 2 /D "%path%\KB######.exe /passive /norestart" /f -silent install of KB#2

REG ADD %REGKEY%\002 /VE /D "Installing This hotfix" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%path%\KB######.exe /passive /norestart" /f -silent install of KB#3 in its own grouping

my bad, i thought the only issue was syntax.

create runonce.cmd in your $oem$ and point your cmdlines.txt at it.

I have

$oem$ Folder root I have cmdlines.txt with two lines

[Commands]

".\Install\RunOnce.cmd"

I then have an $oem$\install folder that contains the runonce.cmd.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been a while but I finally got to trying RunOnce after finals but what I did isn't working so I was wondering if you could review my RunOnceEx.cmd to see if its ok:

cmdow @ /HID

@echo off

SetLocal enableextensions

SET CDROM=%~d0

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Windows Setup" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /VE /D "Updating" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\UPDATES\WGAN.EXE /passive /norestart" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\UPDATES\MALTOOL.EXE /passive /norestart" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 3 /D "%CDROM%\UPDATES\SEARCH4 /passive /norestart" /f

EndLocal

EXIT

Can you see anything wrong with it?

maybe this?

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.TXT SET CDROM=%%i:

just use it instead of the set command.

If you throw that if statement into the search bar you will see other threads very similar.

Ok so I tried that as well but I cannot get it to work still. This is what I have in my OEM directory:

cmdlines.txt

RunOnceEx.cmd

My cmdlines.txt reads

[Commands]

"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"

"RunOnceEx.cmd"

My RunOnceEx.cmd reads:

SetLocal enableextensions

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.TXT SET CDROM=%%i:

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /VE /D "Updating" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\UPDATES\kb892130wgav.exe /Q" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\UPDATES\kb905474wgan.exe /passive /norestart" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 3 /D "%CDROM%\UPDATES\kb940157search.exe /passive /norestart" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 4 /D "%CDROM%\UPDATES\KB957938silverlight.exe /passive /norestart" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 5 /D "%CDROM%\UPDATES\kb890830maltool.exe /passive /norestart" /f

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /V 6 /D "%CDROM%\UPDATES\kb956391killbitsactivex.exe /passive /norestart" /f

EndLocal

EXIT

The FOR command should have set the CD-ROM drive and then installed hotfixes from the Updates folder on the CD's root and all should have been displayed in a window with one entry labeled "Updating". What am I doing wrong??? Is it because the source is nLited? Have I messed up something with the CD variable? I do not understand while it isn't working properly.

Try

SET REGKEY=

REG ADD %REGKEY%

because from what I can tell you set a %KEY% path, then use %REGKEY% in the entries.