Yamaha RX V-361 AV Receiver, IDT HD Audio Codec MYSTERY

lexonex

Alright you PC brains out there; got a mystery for you to solve. In my Den, I have a PC, Dish Network Receiver and a Yamaha AV Receiver (two separate digital optical line inputs). When running a digital optical line from the Dish Network Receiver to the Yamaha AV Receiver AND running a digital optical line from the PC to the Yamaha AV Receiver it will work for a while but, will cause the Yamaha AV Receiver to turn off. I will try turning it on again, and boom. It will just shut off or go into the standby mode whatever. Blank lifeless screen on the Yamaha Receiver; WHAT GIVES! This happens when having both (Dish and the PC) on at the same time AND will happen with just using the Dish. I have to unplug one of the digital optical lines running into the Yamaha it get it reset and working again. Never lasts for long because the same phenomenon will happen again and again.

So, I tried using analog lines from the Dish and PC to the Yamaha. Ran Red and White RCA jacks from the Dish to the Yamaha and went out of the PC using the headphone output jack with an analog 3.5mm plug going to a Red and White RCA jack to the Yamaha. As I was putting this together: BOOM. Yamaha went dead again.

I said to hell with it and went back to the digital optical line running from the PC to the Yamaha and left the analog RCA connection intact from the Dish to the Yamaha. IT HAS BEEN PLAYING NON STOP EVER SINCE. NO SHUT DOWNS.

To recap, I am unable to use digital optical lines from the Dish and PC to the Yamaha. I am unable to use analog lines from the Dish and PC to the Yamaha. BUT, CAN run a digital optical line from the PC to the Yamaha and a analog Red and White RCA plugs from the Dish to the Yamaha with no shutting down of the Yamaha AV Receiver….Why is that?

Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Service Pack 1

Gateway FX510S

Intel® Pentium® D 950 CPU 3.40GHz

800 MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache non-HT EM64T

Intel (Watsonville 2) 975x Motherboard

BIOS WT97510J.15A.2039.2006.0825.0358

600-Watt power supply

4.0 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS Graphics Card

Dish Network ViP211 Satellite Receiver

Yamaha RX-V361 AV Receiver

JBL Cinema Sound Speakers CS480

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC for 64bit Windows

Driver Version 6.10.5713.7 Driver Date 5/6/2008

Edited by lexonex

That has nothing to do with your PC. The receiver should be able to handle any 2 streams, whatever might send them, without doing this kind of stuff. If it's under warranty I'd contact Yamaha to RMA it.

Chances are the SPDIF decoder chip (or DSP or whatever it's inside of) overheats or such when you try to make it decode/process 2 streams. If it's not under warranty and that you're handy with electronics, you could open it and check the temps on the chips (see if something could use a heat sink). Could be plenty of other things, but that's one of the most plausible causes.

I'll be replacing my Yahama receiver with an Onkyo sometime soon :)

Thanks for the info and the possibilities....I only paid $175 for it...I did call them and they said ship it to them....I'm not interested in doing that.....Again, it is working now as described above....Makes me a little sour on Yamaha though........

Speaking of temperature. I do have the Yamaha hidden on the lower deck of a coffee table that is covered with a plastic table covering to hide my Yamaha, wireless router and all the cables and wires. I wonder if the overall temperature is building under there? Could that be the reason for the shut downs?

Edited by lexonex

Most of the time you get what you pay for unfortunately. My Yahama receiver was more expensive than that, and although it actually works with 2 spdif sources (coax & optical), it still has a LOT of shortcomings... Missing adjustments, very few digital inputs, few video inputs, no video upscaling, no DCDi or anything similar, etc. Hence why I'll be getting an Onkyo TX-SR606. I've seen them on special before, near half price (so not much more than you paid).

Could that be the reason for the shut downs?

Definitely. Electronics don't like heat/need proper ventilation/airflow. Try uncovering it, see what happens then.

Funny you should mention the Onkyo TX-SR606 (Dolby True HD DTS-HD). I'm figuring it is the best bang for the buck...It is on my wish list along with the Yamaha RX-V663 (hence removed). If you see a great price on the 606 I would like to know about it.

I have a Onkyo (Quartz Synthesized Tuner Amplifier) I bought back in '86 still going strong. I use it downstairs.

The Yamaha 361 was just for my den. Price was right and had two digital optical inputs. As described, I can't use them at the same time.....I have had no shut downs since using one optical line for the PC and Red and White RCA jacks for the Dish Network receiver.....

s***. The 361 just shut down................

Edited by lexonex

Alright so I got a thick head...I just took the 361 out from under the coffee table (temp gauge showing 94 F.) and now it is on top (temp gauge showing 83 F.)...I'll give a try....Let the 361' temperature dissipate to the entire room......

Houston, we are back up and running....... :whistle:

Edited by lexonex

Funny you should mention the Onkyo TX-SR606 (Dolby True HD DTS-HD). I'm figuring it is the best bang for the buck...

A truly great set of switched video inputs (4 HDMI 1.3a, 3 Component, 6 S-Video, 6 Composite) with upscaling & Faroudja, 8 digital sound inputs (counting the HDMI ports too), 7.1, 192/24, every AC3/DTS codec you could ask for pretty much (including everything HD formats like Blu-Ray might use), plenty of power, great specs overall... It's not perfect, but for the price (especially when on special), it's pretty darn hard to beat. Sure, it's no match for a Denon AVP-A1HDCI, but it ain't 8G's either. As for specials, wait around boxing day. That's where they put the old 605 on special for like $300 IIRC (clearing out old stock at year end seemingly).

And again, the problem might be something else than heat, or in part a heat-related issue... For all I know, it could even be an issue with their design (I've seen my fair share of such cases).

Glad to know someone (novice here) who knows what he is talking about recommending the 606....I'll be on the hunt for it during the holidays...Right now I have my Yamaha 361 out in the open fresh air....CRANKED UP....Louder..Louder....Louder.....Bass is bowing the den walls....

No shut downs......HOUSTON WE ARE LIT UP!

Alright so I got a thick head...I just took the 361 out from under the coffee table (temp gauge showing 94 F.) and now it is on top (temp gauge showing 83 F.)...I'll give a try....Let the 361' temperature dissipate to the entire room......

Houston, we are back up and running....... :whistle:

UPDATE: No problems. The receiver is out in the open and NOT under the coffee table. I guess all the shutdowns were due to temperature increases. I thought it would look better having the receiver out of sight. BUT, it looks pretty good out in the open and is now fully functional...........