2003 Server R2 Enterprise Software, please read post

Hi all!

I'm setting up a windows 2003 Enterprise R2 Server at home (for learning purposes) and I'm looking for some recommendations for software to install. I also access to the ISA 2006 Server, Forefront, Security Center (all products) from the MSDNAA (hey, I'm a student at the university :-) ). I believe that the ISA server works as a firewall, so I believe that it has to be installed. Currently I am going to install ISA server 2006, and wonder about the "rest", as following:

Forefront (client security & server security management console, what does theese cover (in short), any conflicts caused by it?)

Security center suite (needed? what areas do it cover?)

Antivirus for server, any recommendations (if the above does not cover this area good)? Currently looking for free AV

SSL (open ssl?, other alternatives)?

Others? (except for sql-server and php, which is going to be installed later today or something)

Also, don't worry about me biting over too much at the same time, it's a habit of mine:-P

Any replies is very welcome, but please keep it civilized as some parts of this, I believe often start flaming wars. Also, no "i'm wondering about the same", bumping etc...

I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes, but I'm usually just rambling when I type :-)

Thanks!!

-Nerevar

Edit: Forgot to note free antivirus....

Edited by Nerevar

• 2 weeks later...

ISA server is massive, but hugely configurable. The only way you would get the benefit of it is having a client machine you can use to test access to the net with.

You didnt mention is this a virtualized box? or a physical one?

A free AV would be Avira or Clamwin.

Iv never used Forefront to be honest, what about looking into SCOM 2K7 with an SQL backend, that has Nap along with a LOT more (im guessing similar to what forefront provides? although i could be very wrong)

Cheers

:)