"A disk read error has occurred" after textmode install

Keefa

I'd like to get your hdd configuration: please, list all of your storage devices (include cd/dvd-media and usb-card-readers (if you have it)) with a full description of connection. I need to know to wich controller your every drive belongs to

In the first two SATA ports are my two 500 gig drives in RAID 0. In the third port is my DVD burner. The fourth port is empty. The fifth port has my 250 gig SATA drive and the sixth is empty. The fifth and sixth ports are in IDE emulation mode set from the BIOS because it won't install in any other mode. My only options are either IDE emulation or "As SATA mode" meaning it'd be the same as ports 1-4. RAID, that is. No card-readers, no USB drives, no floppy, no removable of any kind. As you probably know by now, AMD SB750 is the chipset this motherboard uses.

Edit: Oh, and if it's any help... I've got a small partition of that non-RAID as C, the 2x500 RAID as D and the rest of the non-RAID as E.

Edited by Keefa

Bump-able.

After lots of re-installs and some BIOS tweaking back and forth, I got a "NTLDR is missing" error instead of the "Disk read error". I tried switching the booting device back and forth, didn't do much good. I guess I'm getting closer here...

did you try to use only one hdd drive plugged in?

i mean that could show us if this error because of your xp installation disc or it's because of your storage media configuration

try to use dvd-drive and hdd-drive at the same interface to check it

P.S. sorry bout my silence, haven't much time to read forums at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Major progress here! I tried installing with only the DVD drive and the RAID array plugged in. No go. Then I tried only the single HDD in SATA and the DVD drive. It works! I'm happy as a man who just invented self-removing trousers. Thank you all so much for your help, now I'm finally happy with this new computer of mine.