"A disk read error has occurred" after textmode install

Keefa

I'm in dire need of your help.

I removed some components and integrated my RAID drivers. Everything worked fine. The drives were visible on the textmode install, I could format the RAID drives and a non-RAID SATA drive. Then, just after rebooting after the textmode part, it refuses to go to the graphical mode. "A disk read error has occurred" on the screen and it tells me to push ctrl+alt+del to continue. I tried both the RAIDed drives and the non-RAID SATA drive. Neither worked. Then I put the non-RAID SATA drive to IDE mode, reformatted and it works. It's a darn shame, though, I really wanted it to work without downgrading to IDE mode.

Windows XP 64 SP2

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4h

Edited by Keefa

That's going to be hard since I usually nLite in several parts. First the update pack, then I remove most stuff, lastly the drivers. I'll try to find the right session.ini and post it when I do.

EDIT: This is it. It doesn't include the update pack I use (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6400) or the drivers I use (Chipset driver from Gigabyte's site. Worked perfectly during the textmode). I didn't use any addons. Everything works good now that I use IDE emulation so the only problem's (the first) boot from the SATA drive in SATA mode. Even the RAID drives are detected just fine after install.

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by Keefa

Keefa,

In general you are asking for trouble Nliteing the same source more than once. You should always start with a clean copy of your original CD files/folders and do everything in one nLite session.

I see no drivers at all in your LastSession.ini and am not familiar with driver packs so it is not possible for me to comment knowledgeably.

When your Sata/RAID drivers are integrated by nLite, does it report them to be text mode? Once (long before nLite) when I first brought my machine up, I did not get the Sata/RAID drivers installed properly (F6) and the first part of the install seemed to go fine, but it failed later (I'm running XP x64 also). I don't remember what kind of error it got. I suspect your text mode Sata/RAID drivers are not being integrated properly my nLite. Did it ask you about which text mode driver to use?

Good luck, John.

Not much to tell from the LAST session.ini

[Tasks]

Integrate Drivers

[Drivers]

D:\Temp\XP\SBDrv\RAID7xx\x64\ahcix64.inf,Napa_amd64_ahci

Johnhc, what I use isn't really a driver _pack_. Just a single textmode driver. There was only one choise, 64 and 32 bit versions. I did, of course, choose the 64 bit version.

Keefa,

I appear to have these same set of drivers (SBDrv), but they are in my Catalyst 8.4 Video driver folder. I have an nVidia chipset and got my text mode drivers from the floppy files (F6). I have not done an nLited install with these but I used the floppy to get my system going several years ago. Are you sure you are using the correct RAID drivers? In my text mode folder (copied from floppy) I have these two drivers: nvrdx64.inf and nvatax64.inf. I think the first is the RAID driver and the other is the Sata driver. You may have the correct Sata driver but not the right Raid driver.

Enjoy, John.

But I tried installing it on my non-RAID SATA drive and that also gave me the same error. I might have the right RAID driver but lack the SATA driver. That just might be it. Good idea, Johnhc. Thanks.

I found something that might be useful. On the readme.txt of the Gigabyte SATA floppy it says the following:

====================

Contents on the disk

====================

README TXT This readme file

AHCIx86 Microsoft Windows miniport disk label file

AHCIx64 Microsoft Windows miniport disk label file

TXTSETUP OEM Microsoft Windows miniport text mode setup file

x86\AHCIx86 INF Microsoft Windows miniport setup file

x86\AHCIx86 SYS Microsoft Windows miniport driver for x86 compatible platforms

x86\AHCIx86 CAT Microsoft Windows WHQL Certified catalog file

x64\AHCIx64 INF Microsoft Windows miniport setup file

x64\AHCIx64 SYS Microsoft Windows miniport driver for x64 platforms

x64\AHCIx64 CAT Microsoft Windows WHQL Certified catalog file

I pointed nLite at the parent folder. It still only shows one driver to integrate, the one I integrated before. Looks like no separate SATA and RAID driver. Any other suggestions?