Help on easy way to repair shortcuts

JedMeister

Hi all,

I have just done a major tidy up of my HDDs. (freed up nearly 400GB!)

I had a number of program files folders (on different drives) but I have condensed them all (to the default folder). Originally when I planned to tidy up, I had been thinking I'd just reinstall XP because I had multiple issues (unrelated - prior to moving stuff), but I've been tinkering around and have actually got it pretty sweet.

I have fixed all the reg entries, so the last thing I have to do is fix all the shortcuts. All the time I have spent looking for an easy way, I'm sure I could've done it manually! I've spent so much time on google with no joy, that now that I have to know. I did come across a post somewhere that gave an illusive suggestion that some tool capable of doing this or similar was included in the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

Ideally I want something that can search for, read and change (if required) to a new destination. I know XP has tools to create shortcuts built-in but I can't find any info about reading and editing shortcuts from a batch or script.

If thats not possible, another thought I had is that windows has the broken link tracking thing (you know the window that pops up when you double-click a broken shortcut). Is there some way of invoking that? Is there some way to guide it where to start looking?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

[edit]A brief afterthought: Perhaps I should devise a batch to read common configuration file types just in case there are any other hard coded paths floating about? Thoughts?

Edited by JedMeister