What e-mail service do you guys recommend?

adrian2055

Another vote for Gmail!

Some other nice features which have not been mentioned:

• Integrated chat client - you can talk to anyone else with a gmail account or even with a non-gmail XMPP account. They also introduced video chat recently
  • Lots and lots of fancy labs features -
    • custom keyboad shortcuts
    • mouse gestures
    • google calendar integration
    • automatic responses (more customizable than traditional vacation responses)
    • forgotten attachment detector
    • vacation response date customization - only enable vacation response for a certain date period, rather than starting/ending it manually

[*]Login tracking - view the last 5 IP's your account was logged in from, and log out all sessions other than the one you are in. This is so that if someone has obtained your password, you can see if a different IP is using your account, and log them off with the click of a button. Also handy for when you leave yourself logged on to, say, a school computer and don't remember until you get home - you can just click the log off other sessions button and it'll log off remotely.

So yeah! Gmail is awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

No problem, glad to provide some helpful information. :D

Another feature they recently added: themes. I'm not really sure if I like the themes or not, but there's some interesting ones. It would be nice if they had a way for users to make their own themes. Also, they have video chat now.

Yahoo mail, I've been using it since -98.

+

Clean interface (if you're using the premium service).

Drag and drop.

Virtually unlimited space.

Good spam protection and antivirus.

Has built-in chat client for YM and MSN.

You can create additional addresses for your account.

-

Only a limited number of filters allowed: 15 for the free version, 50 for premium.

Displaying the mail folders may be a bit slow at times.

Spam protection could be even better.

I haven't tried Gmail, but maybe I will some day.

Edited by DL.

Spam protection could be even better.

No kidding. I've had a yahoo mail account since like '95, and I ditched them recently for gmail. Yahoo's spam filters are worthless. You need those 15 filters to keep your sanity.

Let's put it that way: I get about the same amount of spam everyday on yahoo (and that's after filtering it) as I got in a whole year with gmail (w/o any custom filtering).

Plus, yahoo is quickly dying. Their shares hit below $9 yesterday... So much for refusing MS' offer at $33/share :lol:

No kidding. I've had a yahoo mail account since like '95, and I ditched them recently for gmail. Yahoo's spam filters are worthless. You need those 15 filters to keep your sanity.

Let's put it that way: I get about the same amount of spam everyday on yahoo (and that's after filtering it) as I got in a whole year with gmail (w/o any custom filtering).

Plus, yahoo is quickly dying. Their shares hit below $9 yesterday... So much for refusing MS' offer at $33/share :lol:

The spam filters have improved considerably in the last few years. I wouldn't consider the small amount of spam I get a problem. Since I bought the premium service the amount of spam has decreased even more.

I use all of my 50 filters (premium user) for other mail, but I could use a few more to make the spam totally non-existent.

So as far as spam is concerned I see no reason to switch to Gmail. Any other reason for it?

The spam filters have improved considerably in the last few years.

And I'd have to say exactly the inverse. I didn't use to get too much spam there, but the last couple years has been just brutal. I even got spam addressed from myself @ yahoo (forged sender). There are days when I get more spam on my yahoo account than I get in the entire year on gmail.

Sure, the premium may help, but why pay for that when gmail does better for free? Also, gmail is just all-around better. Better interface, no annoying ads in your sent emails (like for their personals or garbage toolbar), more space, tagging, etc. And Google will still be around next year :P

I'd sooner pay for gmail than use yahoo for free.

Edited by crahak

This is why I wouldn't recommend Yahoo.

Even if all of the above is not true, this is what I know:

That 'feature' was on for only couple of minutes after I first signed up - just until I navigate to the page to disable it. I never gave this address to anyone. I was never infected with spyware/virus (and it doesn't matter, because it's webmail).

Yet to this day, several years later, I receive spam on that address.

I leave the conclusion to the reader.

GL