Compatibility mode in WinPE 2

Eagle710

Has anyone determined if the WinPE supports the Application Compatibility Toolkit?

the good news is the kit will allow you to create a database for all of the application and then just deploy the 1 database to all of your machines. I do not know of a way to batch upload all of the executables into the AppCompatKit. Thus you only need to set this up for 100 applications once then you can deploy to your 300 machines.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...a/aa905078.aspx

I copied these instructions from KB article 820252 and modified them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820252

To create a custom Application Compatibility database:

1. Install and run the Compatibility Administrator tool (add the /x switch to the command line for advanced features).

2. Right-click Custom Database, and then click New.

3. Right-click the new database, and then click Rename.

4. Type 100Apps (or whatever you want) as the name of the database.

5. Right-click New Database, click Create New, and then click Application Fix. Type "App1" or the name of the program to be fixed .

6. Type the name of the program manufacturer.

7. Locate and then click the appropriate program (.exe) file.

8. Click Next.

9. In the Compatibility Modes window, click Windows XP Service Pack 2 and then click Next.

10. Continue to add fixes to the same database.

11. Click either Test Run or Finish. Clicking Test Run starts the program with the Application Compatibility setting. Clicking Finish adds the compatibility fix to your database.

12. On the File menu, click Save to save the database. Or, copy the database to the C:\Windows\AppPatch folder.

13. Right-click the database, and then click Install. Or, run the sdbinst c:\windows\apppatch\100apps.sdb -q command to install the database.

14. run the sdbinst c:\windows\apppatch\100apps.sdb -u -q command to un-install the database in your uninstall procedure

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...0&SiteID=17

Edited by Tripredacus

I followed these steps .... I created an AppPatch folder in the mounted Windows directory and ran the install command. The application still didn't run. Not sure what I am missing. Do i have to install the pack into my mounted image?

Edited by Eagle710

I followed these steps .... I created an AppPatch folder in the mounted Windows directory and ran the install command. The application still didn't run. Not sure what I am missing. Do i have to install the pack into my mounted image?

Copy the SDB and SDBINST into your PE WIM.

You might want to run Depends on SDBINST to see if it requires any files that aren't in the PE. If so copy those in there too. If any are OCX or DLL you might have to run regsvr32 before running the command down there.

Boot into the PE.

So run this command from your PE

sdbinst c:\windows\apppatch\100apps.sdb -q

I am not saying that this will work, but it would be how I would test to see if it works.

• 4 weeks later...

hi

My .exe application doesnt hav any database...It runs fine in winPE 32 bit... But in WinPE 64 bit, it doesnot launch atall. It simply doesnot do anything. I copied all required dlls along with the exe.(by finding through depends).

any inputs pls???

Thanks

kararu.

WinPE 64 does not contain the 32Bit windows subsystem. In other words it will only run 64 bit native apps.

Vista/2008 and XP/2003 64 bit editions has a subsytem for runing 32 bit apps. Therefore some apps may run under a full os but fail under PE

WinPE 64 does not contain the 32Bit windows subsystem. In other words it will only run 64 bit native apps.

Vista/2008 and XP/2003 64 bit editions has a subsytem for runing 32 bit apps. Therefore some apps may run under a full os but fail under PE

Ah this is true. But not all functions of a 32bit app will work properly in 64bit, even if running under the wow64. Is there a way (in those OSes) to force an app to run with just the 64bit system and not use the 32bit system?

Yes there is. Compile it 64 bit :)

If it's 64 bit code it will be run native. If it's 32 bit it will be handled by WoW64 since it isn't 64 bit wich is that the OS requires so the "simple" way to target the right enviroment is to compile it for that enviroment

Edited by mats

• 4 months later...