UE_1.5 works on w98se

Molecule

UE 1.5 works great on w98se -- usually.

however, the setup exe for Object Fix Zip (http://www.objectfix.com/products/objectfixzip/) crashes 1.5 -- UE15 reports "testing inno setup installer" then "test [OK]" then "extracting files from: Inno Setup Installer" then (X)

AutoIt Error (X) Line 0 (File "C:\Program Files\Universal Extractor\UniExtract.exe"):

runwait($cmd & $inno & '-x -m'" & $file & $file & '"'& $oiutput, $ outdir)

Error: Unable to execute the external program.

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I don't know autoit, but that's an odd arrangement of quotation marks in the command string. There's an even number ok, but I can't pair them up sensibly.

Would love to see the w98 switches turned on during compiles of v1.6 if possible. 98se ain't dead yet.

Edited by Molecule

however, the setup exe for Object Fix Zip (http://www.objectfix.com/products/objectfixzip/) crashes 1.5 -- UE15 reports "testing inno setup installer" then "test [OK]" then "extracting files from: Inno Setup Installer" then (X)

AutoIt Error (X) Line 0 (File "C:\Program Files\Universal Extractor\UniExtract.exe"):

I don't know autoit, but that's an odd arrangement of quotation marks in the command string. There's an even number ok, but I can't pair them up sensibly.

Actually, this is the exact line of code:

runwait($cmd & $inno & ' -x -m "' & $file & '"' & $output, $outdir)

And those quotes do indeed match up. The full thing translates to the following (making assumptions for the paths):

c:\windows\command.com /c innounp.exe -x -m "c:\path\to\file.exe" | tee.exe c:\uniextract.exe

The problem you're seeing is not from invalid syntax in that line of code, but rather from various path and environmental variable issues that I could never work out quite right under Windows 9x. You can search through the really long main Universal Extractor thread for some more details if you'd like.

Would love to see the w98 switches turned on during compiles of v1.6 if possible. 98se ain't dead yet.

Actually, it is. Software vendors can't support a given OS perpetually, and I think when the OS vendor itself end-of-life's the OS it's time to move on. Think about it - a line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise the same argument could be made for why Windows 2.0 isn't supported.

With that said, though, I didn't intentionally remove support for Windows 9x in UniExtract. It just never really worked right to begin with. :-) The big difference with 1.6, however, is that the current versions of AutoIt has moved to native Unicode binaries. Windows 9x doesn't support this, and as such new AutoIt applications will not run under Windows 9x. They still offer an option to compile ASCII binaries instead for use with Windows 9x, but I'm just not interested in maintaining separate versions, particular when one of them is for an OS that's been end-of-life'd and will be receiving no new security patches and updates. Plus, as I already mentioned, support for Windows 9x was always buggy to begin with (which is why it was never officially supported).

I don't mean to come across as an a** here, and I apologize if I do. This topic has come up a lot, and while I'd love to be able to fully support Windows 9x, it's just not feasible for a number of reasons.

Edited by nitro322

• 6 months later...

Actually, this is the exact line of code:

runwait($cmd & $inno & ' -x -m "' & $file & '"' & $output, $outdir)

And those quotes do indeed match up. The full thing translates to the following (making assumptions for the paths):

c:\windows\command.com /c innounp.exe -x -m "c:\path\to\file.exe" | tee.exe c:\uniextract.exe

The problem you're seeing is not from invalid syntax in that line of code, but rather from various path and environmental variable issues that I could never work out quite right under Windows 9x. You can search through the really long main Universal Extractor thread for some more details if you'd like.

Actually, it is. Software vendors can't support a given OS perpetually, and I think when the OS vendor itself end-of-life's the OS it's time to move on. Think about it - a line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise the same argument could be made for why Windows 2.0 isn't supported.

With that said, though, I didn't intentionally remove support for Windows 9x in Windows 9x. It just never really worked right to begin with. :-) The big difference with 1.6, however, is that the current versions of AutoIt has moved to native Unicode binaries. Windows 9x doesn't support this, and as such new AutoIt applications will not run under Windows 9x. They still offer an option to compile ASCII binaries instead for use with Windows 9x, but I'm just not interested in maintaining separate versions, particular when one of them is for an OS that's been end-of-life'd and will be receiving no new security patches and updates. Plus, as I already mentioned, support for Windows 9x was always buggy to begin with (which is why it was never officially supported).

I don't mean to come across as an a** here, and I apologize if I do. This topic has come up a lot, and while I'd love to be able to fully support Windows 9x, it's just not feasible for a number of reasons.

Only note: Any version (old) with support win98? Test 1.5 - error unpacking.....

• 1 month later...

Is there any way to hack a 1.5 & 1.6 hybrid together that can work with W98?

Alternatively, using UE with KernelEx?

I tried to use KernelEx to install 1.6, which seemed to work (install), but all it does is produce an empty file called "&1" and give an error like "I should be able to extract this, but something went wrong, so you want to view the log file?". There isn't a log file anyway.

Interestingly BTW, the AutoIt v3 home page says "Compatible with Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT4 / 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista / 2008".

Joe.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't help but shake my head when people say they are using windows 98se. I can understand if you have it running on a old computer for computer games or things like that, but if you are using UE on it it makes me wonder if it isn't the primary computer... I mean comeon people, its been out of support for 3 years and is over 10 years old.... :) I'd rather see the program develop on current OSes instead of spending time making it work on 98se, which is a waste of time IMHO.

• 1 year later...

I can't help but shake my head when people ... adopt the herd mentality and accept cumbersome, boated, unsafe (thanks for all those "enhanced" features and back doors, eh) and incompatible OS ... ;)

Anyway, just a quick (and long overdue) update - KernelEx has come a long way since this thread was started, and UE 1.6 no longer presents a problem on W98.

However, now we too can enjoy this old UE bug :

What I found was that UE initially worked OK, but some time (months?) later, I noticed a problem opening ZIP or CAB files (however, UE is not first choice, so perhaps I'd never tried this before; BTW, I can't remember the error) but it worked OK for EXE files.

Now some further time later (months?), it no longer works at all, due to the above bug. Is there a realistic solution, other than the suggestion to reformat the hard drive?

Oh, and AutoIt by itself runs just fine, so it doesn't seem to be the culprit.

Joe.

Edited by jds

• 2 months later...

we too can enjoy this old UE bug :

What I found was that UE initially worked OK, but some time (months?) later, I noticed a problem opening ZIP or CAB files (however, UE is not first choice, so perhaps I'd never tried this before; BTW, I can't remember the error) but it worked OK for EXE files.

Now some further time later (months?), it no longer works at all, due to the above bug. Is there a realistic solution, other than the suggestion to reformat the hard drive?

Yeah! Fixed it (well, at least for opening EXE files)!

Edited '\Program Files\Universal Extractor\UniExtract.ini' and changed "globalprefs=0" to "globalprefs=1".

Joe.

• 5 months later...

we too can enjoy this old UE bug :

Yeah! Fixed it (well, at least for opening EXE files)!

Edited '\Program Files\Universal Extractor\UniExtract.ini' and changed "globalprefs=0" to "globalprefs=1".

Joe.

I'm an AutoIt Scripter myself, and have noticed that a lot of AntiVirus programs can also interfere with the script ( fals positives )...If it's from a reliable source ( like MSFN), i would recommend a "disable" of your AntiVirus-program as a "test" as well...

• 3 years later...

I have updated 1.5 for Win98, but I don't know how to compile/package it. I know the variables bugs need to be fixed but I can't test until I compile it. This version should reflect 1.6.1. Can someone help me? TIA

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

@PROBLEMCHYLD -

Not sure (haven't done that yet) but it might best help if you post an assist request over here -

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/66-programming-c-delphi-vbvbs-cmdbatch-etc/

So it will be noticed by the right people. Please closs-link that one and your post above to "keep it together".

Side note: I haven't the time right now to figure it out/help. Sorry :(

I have updated 1.5 for Win98, but I don't know how to compile/package it. I know the variables bugs need to be fixed but I can't test until I compile it. This version should reflect 1.6.1. Can someone help me? TIA

AutoIt should come with its own compiler. Install the whole package and look in the program folder. However I don't know if the newer versions would work under 9x. I've never used AutoIt but only AutoHotkey which is derived from an older version of AutoIt but is different enough, especially now.

AutoIt is being flagged by antivirus apps because many viruses have been built with it at some point in time. I myself found such beasts on friends' systems. And well, this is a free language and needs to be heavily bashed to favor garbage like .NET and others. No need to elaborate on this one. ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure the AutoIt commands themselves are buggy; since AFAIK the tool only launches what it thinks would be the appropriate unpacker for the current type of archive, it is possible that the bundled unpackers may be incompatible with 9x or they each need specific KernelEx compatibility set to operate properly. That's just an assumption though, as I quit trying to get Universal Extractor to work under 98SE quite a long time ago.