Need to reformat: Vista won't allow

paullyboy

I have Vista installed on an Acer Extensa 5620Z laptop, but want to get rid of it and install XP. I tried every Fkey at startup, but can't find a reformat option or even a way to make the XP program disk appear. Is it possible, or has Vista made itself impossible to be removed/replaced? Sure seems like it.

Best, Paul

A couple of brief observations:

First, make sure that your computer's BIOS is set to boot from CD first.

Second, you'll probably need to use nLite to integrate the drivers for your optical drive and, if your computer's hard drive is SATA, the SATA driver into your XP source disk.

I haven't met a Vista system yet that can't have XP installed on it...as long as the computer has an optical drive and you have the correct drivers, XP can be installed.

I would never say that Vista is impossible to get rid of ...

1st of all have you checked the BIOS settings to ensure that the cd rom is the 1st bootable device.

If so try booting the machine with the XP CD in the drive and you should get a prompt asking if you would press any key to start from the disk

Thanks guys.

...you'll probably need to use nLite to integrate the drivers for your optical drive and, if your computer's hard drive is SATA, the SATA driver into your XP source disk...

What is nLite? Never heard of it.

...1st of all have you checked the BIOS settings to ensure that the cd rom is the 1st bootable device...

That's the rub. No matter what Fkey I try, I keep getting a page that either wants me to system restore, or search/fix Vista.

...If so try booting the machine with the XP CD in the drive and you should get a prompt asking if you would press any key to start from the disk...

On the same machine, I've already installed XP on a virgin internal SATA drive. Went without a hitch. Drivers were a pain to find, but findable. I want to be able to swap out drives for totally different applications: music and daily bookkeeping. I'll mess with it some more and see if I can access the BIOS page. Hopefully the CD drive can be set up as numero uno at logon.

Thanks again.

Best, Paul

Edited by paullyboy

What is nLite? Never heard of it.

Find yourself a computer. Go to Google.com and search for "nlite".

Heard of a computer? You sure you can find one?

...1st of all have you checked the BIOS settings to ensure that the cd rom is the 1st bootable device...

That's the rub. No matter what Fkey I try, I keep getting a page that either wants me to system restore, or search/fix Vista.

You need to get into the BIOS. Try pressing repeatedly F2, F5, F12, or DEL immediately when you boot up your PC. This should be done during the POST, way before you see the XP loading screen.

Is it possible, or has Vista made itself impossible to be removed/replaced? Sure seems like it.

Quit making up crap. You don't know how to use your computer. Its not Vista at fault.

Edited by brucevangeorge

Problem solved. BTW, Brucie, been using these things for 25+ years. That includes software coding. So enjoy Vista, and while you're at it, either grow up and quit insulting people, or drop dead. Nuff said. Again, thanks to the other responders for useful info.

Paul