RAM problem

nilanko

I have 256 MB of RAM and through vLite I can set the min RAM requirement of vista to 256 MB.Although my BIOS shows that the RAM installed is 256 MB, whenever any OS is run, the Ram available to system is just 248 MB(since 8 MB gets used by Graphics card).

So, my query is that , when I would try to run the 'customized' vista(that requires 256 MB RAM), won't it say that I have just 248 MB RAM and it requires 256 MB and installation won't proceed?

I want to know before I take some action... :blushing:

Even 1024mb is asking for trouble.

Exactly. I wouldn't run it on anything less than 2GB myself. I'm sure it works on less, but if you want decent performance with some apps open and all...

You're trying to drive a ferrari so to speak with the engine of lada automobile.

Yeah. You can get 2x2GB of fast DDR2 for like $50 these days. I had more RAM than that in my PC like 8 years ago. I somehow doubt that box has a fast CPU either. It's probably barely enough to run XP (unless you like waiting a lot).

I remember this video i saw long time ago. This is what i mean.

http://www.winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini_eng.htm

Running xp with 20 mb ram and like 8mhz cpu. It is an exaggerated, but not by that much all things considered.

It would be a good job getting vista to run at like 256mb, but i remember i constantly ran out of memory many years ago with that low memory on even a stripped down win2000, in photoshop and or games.

Sure, it works and all. I wouldnt trust it at all though.

Edited by TranceEnergy

Even 1024mb is asking for trouble.

Exactly. I wouldn't run it on anything less than 2GB myself. I'm sure it works on less, but if you want decent performance with some apps open and all...

I'll agree to a certain extent...

Vista runs fine on 1GB ram, I'm running Vista Business SP1 (non-vlited) on an nforce2 system without a hitch. Got Aero, sidebar gadgets, rocketdock, everest system monitor running at all times. I have yet to experience any slowdowns... I also have very fast boot times as well. While Vista doesn't match XP performance wise, I'd say it runs pretty good -- good enough for me to use on a daily basis.

I'd like nothing more than to add another gig of ram, just hadn't gotten around to it yet... As far as ram usage goes, I average 350mb-700mb (with a low of 260mb while idle) depending on the apps running at the time.

I'm not saying 1GB RAM is plentiful, but based on my own experience, it's good enough for normal usage. 1GB certainly isn't enough for games or heavy duty apps, of course -- I'll have to switch back to XP for that.

Bottomline, if you're going to use Vista, 2GB ram is the way to go. However, Vista will run smoothly with 1GB ram, a fairly decent processor say Athlon XP 2600+, 128-bit agp graphics w/ 256mb ddr, and some tweaking.