How to determine PID without install CD

staknhalo

I have this pal online who I wanted to make a customized XP Pro x86 install for (half of u geek out over the same s*** so sue me). Unfortunately he wasn't given a product key or a cd to reinstall (it was custom built by a friend of his). Now I immediately thought "uh oh illegal key", but I had him use Magic Jelly Bean and then search for his key online (I figured if it was an illegal key, it would prob be all over the place). No results. So I am assumed to believe it is legit for the time being. I am on Vista now (haven't been on XP for a while) so i figured Settup.ini might be in the /system32 folder. No luck. So without him thinking I'm trying to dick him over (which if you know about PIDs, you know I'm not), how can I/we determin just his PID? I only know of the 3 PID numbers and my disk is retail, so if it isnt right; it wont work if his key isn't retail. HALP!

You could try getting them to run this batch file:

XPChID.cmd

@Echo off&Setlocal
Call :G_
If %_:~-3% Equ 000 Echo: Other ^(includes some retail, upgrade and evaluation ^
versions^)
If %_:~-3% Equ 007 Echo: Retail
If %_:~-3% Equ 009 Echo: Not for resale - bundle
If %_:~-3% Equ 011 Echo: Upgrade ^(XP Home?^)
If %_:~-3% Equ 083 Echo: Windows Genuine Advantage
If %_:~-3% Equ OEM Echo: OEM
If %_:~-3% Equ 270 Echo: Volume License
If %_:~-3% Equ 296 Echo: MSDN
If %_:~-3% Equ 308 Echo: Microsoft Action Pack subscription
If %_:~-3% Equ 347 Echo: Microsoft Action Pack subscription
If %_:~-3% Equ 335 Echo: Retail
If %_:~-3% Geq 640 (If %_:~-3% Leq 652 Echo: Volume License)
If %_:~-3% Equ 699 Echo: Volume Windows XP Tablet Edition
If %_:~-3% Equ 071 Echo: Unknown
Ping -n 6 127.0.0.1>Nul&Goto :Eof
:G_
For /f "tokens=3" %%# In (
'Reg query HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Pid /v Pid^|Find "_SZ"') Do Set "_=:%%#"

It's not perfect, but it's the best I can do with the information I've managed to find.

I have this pal online who I wanted to make a customized XP Pro x86 install for (half of u geek out over the same s*** so sue me). Unfortunately he wasn't given a product key or a cd to reinstall (it was custom built by a friend of his). Now I immediately thought "uh oh illegal key", but I had him use Magic Jelly Bean and then search for his key online (I figured if it was an illegal key, it would prob be all over the place). No results. So I am assumed to believe it is legit for the time being.
Well, technically, just because the key wasn't leaked to the internet doesn't mean it's not illegal. Also, it's illegal to give someone a copy of a Windows CD period, let alone a copy without a COA and PID. So, whether or not the key is "legal" is irrelevant, the CD used to install XP is highly suspect (even OEM kits and keys come with hologram packed media to give out with new PCs, although the master media belongs to the OEM).

Get a new CD/key and use a legal copy of XP, or get the one he purchased from his "friend" (if he did purchase it, he is due one, legally).

You could try getting them to run this batch file:

XPChID.cmd

@Echo off&Setlocal
Call :G_
If %_:~-3% Equ 000 Echo: Other ^(includes some retail, upgrade and evaluation ^
versions^)
If %_:~-3% Equ 007 Echo: Retail
If %_:~-3% Equ 009 Echo: Not for resale - bundle
If %_:~-3% Equ 011 Echo: Upgrade ^(XP Home?^)
If %_:~-3% Equ 083 Echo: Windows Genuine Advantage
If %_:~-3% Equ OEM Echo: OEM
If %_:~-3% Equ 270 Echo: Volume License
If %_:~-3% Equ 296 Echo: MSDN
If %_:~-3% Equ 308 Echo: Microsoft Action Pack subscription
If %_:~-3% Equ 347 Echo: Microsoft Action Pack subscription
If %_:~-3% Equ 335 Echo: Retail
If %_:~-3% Geq 640 (If %_:~-3% Leq 652 Echo: Volume License)
If %_:~-3% Equ 699 Echo: Volume Windows XP Tablet Edition
If %_:~-3% Equ 071 Echo: Unknown
Ping -n 6 127.0.0.1>Nul&Goto :Eof
:G_
For /f "tokens=3" %%# In (
'Reg query HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Pid /v Pid^|Find "_SZ"') Do Set "_=:%%#"

It's not perfect, but it's the best I can do with the information I've managed to find.

I thank you so much, i tested on a couple of vms of mine and it works like a charm (theyre a mix of msdn, oem a retail).

Unfortunately, this guy who built the computer for my friend, removed that key from the registry. We suspect it's so that if he ever wanted/needed to reinstall, he'd have no choice but to go back to him and give him more money. So it didn't work but your effort was much appreciated.

I have this pal online who I wanted to make a customized XP Pro x86 install for (half of u geek out over the same s*** so sue me). Unfortunately he wasn't given a product key or a cd to reinstall (it was custom built by a friend of his). Now I immediately thought "uh oh illegal key", but I had him use Magic Jelly Bean and then search for his key online (I figured if it was an illegal key, it would prob be all over the place). No results. So I am assumed to believe it is legit for the time being.
Well, technically, just because the key wasn't leaked to the internet doesn't mean it's not illegal. Also, it's illegal to give someone a copy of a Windows CD period, let alone a copy without a COA and PID. So, whether or not the key is "legal" is irrelevant, the CD used to install XP is highly suspect (even OEM kits and keys come with hologram packed media to give out with new PCs, although the master media belongs to the OEM).

Get a new CD/key and use a legal copy of XP, or get the one he purchased from his "friend" (if he did purchase it, he is due one, legally).

I don't mean to come off like an a** and this isn't directed at you, more of MSFN in particular; but when you have topics about add-ons or instructions on how to integrate part of media center and/or tablet pc into other non-media center/tablet XP installs and other such topics; it comes of a bit hypocritical saying something is illegal or warez. And whether you were a part of letting said topic go on so long as it did or just never said anything about it at all is just as guilty in the end. Just as guilty as are people who try to flag illegal activities such as posting an OEM only patch here; while turning around and making an add-on to allow you to add parts of a whole different XP version be integrated into another XP version at another site (ricktendo, sorry to call you out but you know it is true). If you search enough you'll see the hypocritical parties involved; and they already should know who they are.

And while I expect this thread to die down quickly (if not deleted and removed by the people in control who see it true) I can only wish it would stay atop/ people would bump it only to point out the things which are more illegal on this board that are allowed to flourish. For example (and I feel guilty about this; but it is necessary), I am all about vLite. But you have users in the vLite forum suggesting other users to download older versions of vLite to avoid using WAIK; which Microsoft said was necessary to allow nuhi to keep distributing vLite. Since when did bypassing Microsoft guidelines or being told how to integrate parts of an XP version you don't even have to own become legal?

But don't get me wrong I'm all for customizing your XP/Vista install as much as possible (providing you legally own the media required). But this forums denies some things; but allows others which are just, if not more; illegal. Either hold true to it all, or none of it. You can't half a** it.

If you agree you should bump, not just to keep it at the top; but to show agreement with the basic idea that mods/admins should take this into consideration whether it means they have to take a more lenient or stricter stance towards stuff posted on this board. Though tbh I doubt users will out of fear or fear of retaliation of some sort. Even though I find that unlikely.

And admins/mods..... if you want to delete this I only ask that you carry it on with me in private through pm or email. Because as I said, I believe that most of the stuff on this board is useful. But you only apply the warez label to the stuff you don't like or unpopular while allowing it for stuff just as; if not more, illegal.

This might seem a bit extreme a response for the original comment, but I feel it needed to be addressed. I only hope that those who can truly make a difference regarding this matter either respond to, or at least are made aware of this posting (whether they be in agreement or not).

Edited by staknhalo

I don't mean to come off like an a** and this isn't directed at you, more of MSFN in particular; but when you have topics about add-ons or instructions on how to integrate part of media center and/or tablet pc into other non-media center/tablet XP installs and other such topics; it comes of a bit hypocritical saying something is illegal or warez. And whether you were a part of letting said topic go on so long as it did or just never said anything about it at all is just as guilty in the end. Just as guilty as are people who try to flag illegal activities such as posting an OEM only patch here; while turning around and making an add-on to allow you to add parts of a whole different XP version be integrated into another XP version at another site (ricktendo, sorry to call you out but you know it is true). If you search enough you'll see the hypocritical parties involved; and they already should know who they are.

And while I expect this thread to die down quickly (if not deleted and removed by the people in control who see it true) I can only wish it would stay atop/ people would bump it only to point out the things which are more illegal on this board that are allowed to flourish. For example (and I feel guilty about this; but it is necessary), I am all about vLite. But you have users in the vLite forum suggesting other users to download older versions of vLite to avoid using WAIK; which Microsoft said was necessary to allow nuhi to keep distributing vLite. Since when did bypassing Microsoft guidelines or being told how to integrate parts of an XP version you don't even have to own become legal?

Too late, you did. If you want to police almost 1 million posts for questionable activity, and also wade through the legal waters (in multiple countries) on whether something does, or does not, violate a EULA held by some entity in all countries involved, then be my guest.

MSFN does not promote illegal activity or warez, but we have to be cognizant that a lot of activity can be illegal or legal, depending on the country, the product, the vendor, and even the desired intent. We only delete things that are obviously not legal and would be specifically prohibited, while taking a case-by-case view of everything else.

To that end, getting a computer from an OEM (any OEM) that does not contain either a hologram disc with a COA, or at least a recovery partition and a COA and PID stating such, is indeed illegal in ALL countries where Microsoft software is distributed. Which is why I responded as such.

Also, you are the same person who posted the OEM-only Fiji version of Media Center, then complained about being reported. Consider yourself banned as per forum rules.

1.b Respect the requests of companies who do not permit redistribution of their products without express permission - including unmodified hotfix/feature pack packages. Download sources for official software should be from the vendor directly where possible. Posts made containing this type of content may be removed immediately without warning, and offenders may be banned on first violation.

While your opinion is your opinion, I can speak for all the mods when I say we do not appreciate being told how to run these forums in this manner. This isn't retaliation, and this goes for everyone - we're the mods, but we can't police everything. If you think something on these forums should be reported, please report it. This isn't our full-time job, please respect that.

Thread closed.