hdd size limits? for ME defragger in MDGx' 98SE2ME

Molecule

Well in that case, welcome, welcome!

So you are using 98SE... I would assume that SystemWorks 2006 is running on a dual boot Windows 2000 or XP?

SystemWorks 2005 was the last to install in Windows 98SE.

I use all versions of Windows, even the beta of Windows 7... But I prefer 98SE!

This forum and it's contributing members is a life saver for 9x :)

Not dual-booting; this machine is 98SE only. I have other machines for XP.

Some (if not all, I didn't really test) of the SystemWorks 2006 Norton Utilities run on 9x. I didn't install it, I extracted files manually from the CD.

Queue

Edited by Queue

I did a little digging and NU files with a version number of 19.0.1.8 are the last that seem to work on Win9x. Version 19.0.1.8 of NDD32 still chokes on very large hard drives.

Thanks for your good work, Queue! :thumbup

We now know for sure that, up to now, no existing version of NDD32 is able to handle Big Partitions (with more than about 250 GB).

But there is a very thin chance that a better version may yet come out because, AFAIK, 19.0.1.8 is the version reported by some of the files in the latest 2008 update to NSW. It is offered for owners of NSW 2006/7/8 and effectively updates their NSW to the latest version available. We don't really know whether v. 20.x.x.x and later work with 9x or not simply because they're not out yet, or am I much misinformed?

We don't really know whether v. 20.x.x.x and later work with 9x or not simply because they're not out yet, or am I much misinformed?

I have a set of NU files with version number 22.0.0.52 (all Digitally Signed) that I can NOT get to work on Win98SE. They are (apparently) files from SystemWorks 2009. Bad news, I know. =/

Edit: 21.0.0.67 also doesn't work on 9x (and when you try to run them they specifically say they're not compatible with the current OS).

Queue

Edited by Queue

So, I was misinformed. Bad news indeed. So much for my last hopes... :no:

Well, your info settles it, Queue. There's no chance of us getting a better NDD32 for 9x/ME.

And on the basis of what I reported some posts above, for partitions above about 250 GB,

SCANDSKW can be used to check the file system, but to do a surface test the DOS utilities

SCANDISK or NDD are the only way to go. Thanks a lot, Queue! You rock. :thumbup

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I got an 500GB IDE drive WD5000AAKB, made in XP one extended partition including one logical drive. I formatted it using fat32format -c32, i.e. with 16kB clusters instead of 32KB, so it has 30,508,600 clusters. Then I moved it into my Win98 system. With DriveImage2002 I made an image of another drive, which consists of about 42 files of 2GB size. I copied that repetitively to the 500GB drive until 95% was full. Up to this WinME ScanDskW and Defragment worked fine. Of course there was nothing to do for Defrag. I let DriveImage check some of the copied files.

Then I started some work on the big drive, generating some smaller files and moving a few GB around. After that ScanDskW showed the out-of-memory message. Defragment still worked. When it finished, ScanDskW still showed out-of-memory, but after a reboot it worked (no surface test). At this point there were 1,253,082 clusters free. Then I unpacked an about 2GB RAR archive, after that ScanDskW showed again the out-of-memory message, after reboot it worked.

As far as I remember in the FAT there are 4 bytes per cluster. When ScanDskW has to held 2 FATs in memory it needs about 240MB. This could be the origin of the limitation.

I use a standard Win98SE modified with Maximus decims BHDD3.0, but instead of the English I use the localized German (ME) versions. I have 512MB memory.

bye

Wolfgang

EDIT: I did some further testing: upgraded memory to 786,432 kiB and added MaxFileCache=356352 to system.ini according to the recommendation of Igor Leyko, but this didn't change anything. I can run ScanDskW only after a fresh reboot, otherwise the out-of-memory message shows up.

Edited by Wolfgang16

• 2 months later...

DOS SCANDISK can handle a 1.5TB Partition without problems and did not complain when given a 2TB experimental Partition.

Windows ME SCANDISK and DEFRAG can handle more than 1TB, but the Partition must be Formatted with 64KB Clusters, which is non-standard.