Registry error on startup - can't repair it

fgaine

Since yesterday, when My Windows Vista has started up, I get the 2 following pop up windows:

Could not load or run "C:\Users\GAINE specified in the registry.

Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry.

Could not load or run 'FAMILY\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Manager.exe" specified in the registry.

Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry.

I do not have any Adobe software installed on my PC, so where does that come from?

I have tried the following 3 solutions:

-system restore. But it failed - how helpful is that?

-restoring a previously backed up registry state from when that did not occur.

-fixing the registry with the Registry Fix software

I also tried to go in the registry to find the faulty entries, but that was a bit of a long shot and obviously did not find them

Nothing worked.

What else can you suggest?..

Could not load or run 'FAMILY\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Manager.exe" specified in the registry.

I do not have any Adobe software installed on my PC, so where does that come from?

Run a malware and/or virus scan on your computer...

I also tried to go in the registry to find the faulty entries, but that was a bit of a long shot and obviously did not find them

Run msconfig.exe and click the Startup tab... It should display a list of startup programs. Browse thru the list, uncheck suspicious items or items you don't want loaded with Vista.

Run a malware and/or virus scan on your computer...

Run msconfig.exe and click the Startup tab... It should display a list of startup programs. Browse thru the list, uncheck suspicious items or items you don't want loaded with Vista.

It simply was a virus. How could I not think of this?! Thanks mongo66 for help and accurate suggestion - much appreciated :thumbup . Thread can be closed.