Switch around nLite's temporary (working) folder

Volatus

Kind of a "feature" I'd been wanting for quite a while, but never saw it come up. Right now, nLite stores its temporary files (for extraction, recompression, etc) in the source folder, not exactly performance-oriented behavior. I was thinking that, if a computer has enough memory and appropriate software, a RAM drive could greatly speed up the extraction and recompression. The problem is, in order to do that, one would have to make about a 1.5gb RAM drive to store the full Windows disc _and_ the temporary files in the same folder, since nLite won't let someone pick a different folder to use for its temporary files.

Perhaps this can be added in a future version... if a future version is even planned? :unsure:

edit: Along the same lines, it would also be really sweet to be able to "build to folder" using this temporary files idea... it might take a lot of work, but would be nice to be able to build straight off the CD instead of having to copy to the HDD first. It would just copy the needed files to the destination folder as it processes! But eh, seems more like a dream at this point. =\

Edited by Volatus

• 2 weeks later...
try an EWF or RAM drive. and put the xp source there... then u have what u want

I was thinking that, if a computer has enough memory and appropriate software, a RAM drive could greatly speed up the extraction and recompression. The problem is, in order to do that, one would have to make about a 1.5gb RAM drive to store the full Windows disc _and_ the temporary files in the same folder, since nLite won't let someone pick a different folder to use for its temporary files.

Also, EWF is a huge trainwreck... unstable, unsupported (even by the tweaking community), and ill-suited for the job with all its incessant reboots.

excuse me? what makes u say EWF is unstable? give me thee link with the facts

and unsupoorted? i tihnk not! maybe u search more on EWF.

you dont even need to boot EVER after installing EWF!

Wtf? Why are you defending EWF? I don't need to link to explain my experiences with EWF, but whatever.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/winnt-base...m-whats-up.html

Hey there, I had exactly the same problem as you. EWF is very inefficient, and eats up RAM faster then fire to petrol. Try FBWF, does a smiler thing,but much much much more efficient (for various reasons). I have a guide up on installing this if your interested.

tl;dr: EWF locks up (and corrupts all your data, sometimes even Windows!) if it goes over 512mb of uncommitted data for no apparent reason. EWF takes forever to sort the data and commit it to disk if you're near the max. EWF wasn't designed for any applications where writes would intentionally be performed but caught and discarded (only inadvertant bootup and running writes on a thin client). EWF wants to reboot every time you change the most trivial of settings (you can't even commit the data in RAM, then let it continue to filter writes to RAM, you have to reboot between commit and continuing filtering).

Not very tl;dr since there are so many holes. But long story short, EWF isn't even suitable for use on an Eee PC, because it locks up if you happen to go over 512mb memory usage with uncommitted data. What do you think that'll do when trying to run nLite with it running?!