Windows 7 M3 Bugs

blackhartct

Just like everyone else i acquired a copy of the 6801 build after the PDC. Installed it at school and had no problems what so ever. Went home and tried to do a clean install and BSOD FTL!! :realmad: Its funny though because it runs and install perfectly fine in VMware. But any way, has anyone else encountered this problem or have a way to fix it? I would love to be able to mess around with this build at home.

Setup runs perfectly fine until the part that says "starting windows". I think its the third restart. I get to the point that says "setting up devices & settings" or something like that and bam BSOD.. with out fail.

Uh here is a list of things i tried:

Integrate the drivers with vlite (didn't work cuz i think they changed the way the drivers are integrated but vlite didn't show any errors so idk)

upgrade from vista (didn't work cuz it didn't copy the vista drivers... but i did this as a shot in the dark)

disabled audio. not the problem

disabled my network card (wasn't the problem)

I know its not my raid controller cuz thats the drive i was installing to and my raid controller is in ide mode anyway

I can't get a good look at the blue screen since windows auto restarts by default....(really annoying they should change this dammot)

I'm thinking of trying to remove some drivers with vlite... although im not sure that'll work or if drivers are really the problem.

and im gonna grab the 64bit version and see if i got the same problem.

Oh yea here are my system specs

Motherboard - MSI K9NGM4, Nvidia MCP68 Chipset

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHZ

Ram - 2GB

Edited by blackhartct

Try it on another machine, using the vanilla un-tampered with iso.

And its not exactly a shock it having some bugs now is it!!! :P

I did install it on anther machine. i said i installed it at school didn't i lol. and i know but im p***ed cuz well i wanna use it.

99% of BSOD on installs a mass storage drivers.... if you catch a glimpse of 07B in the error, then you know it is something with the mass storage driver for you machine

I'm not sure if this is the case since it detected my drives fine and copied the setup files and finished expanding them. I get the BSOD right when windows is setting up. Ill do another run thru now though and see if i can catch a glimpse of the error.

W7 installs fine on my laptop but when i try to install it on another 2... it gets a error message saying the installation source may be missing/corrupt and to try install it again.

Edited by Legolash2o

I've got a desktop where M3 and later builds bugcheck during install, but others (with different/newer Intel chipsets) that don't exhibit the problem. I'd suggest reporting the driver bugs to Microsoft, because that's likely the ultimate culprit.

So i tried another install and i caught a glimpse of the error. it had 3B in it and it said something about dxgkrnl.sys. So i think it has something to do with the nvida drivers they threw on the disk. So i'm hoping the next release has an updated driver base. Until then ill just fool around with it in a VM.

I tried to install it in VMware v6.50 build118166 and.... it started to load, but couldn't seem to find any disk! It kept asking me to load the appropriate driver. :^( Seems odd, no? ANybody know the trick to getting it to install in a VM?

I tried to install it in VMware v6.50 build118166 and.... it started to load, but couldn't seem to find any disk! It kept asking me to load the appropriate driver. :^( Seems odd, no? ANybody know the trick to getting it to install in a VM?

I installed it no problem... what options did u choose for the vm? i just told it that i was installing vista and it worked fine.

Hmmm. I used the standard install, but set the hard disk size to 25GB and bridged the network. I set the CD/DVD drive to access the iso file directly. The Windows 7 build is 6801. In the newer versions of VMware the hard disk is tagged as SCSI whether it's an IDE, SATA, SAS or whatever. I had no problems with several different versions of Vista in a VM.

UPDATE: I finally decided to delete the VM and create a new one. This time it seemed to take and install very smoothly. It saw the disk properly and went right through the steps without a hitch! Go figure. I can't really see a reason to use a 32-bit version of this, however. I found that needed to use about 20% more mouse clicks in Vista than in XP even without the UAC. that's really unacceptable and definitely not an improvement. I'll be interested to where this one is going!

MORE UPDATE: The last phase seemed to take forever, so I went to bed and it was done in the am. I used a published beta key. VMware tools went in and I didn't have to add an audio driver like with Server 2008!

My first impression is....... it looks like Vista! Ummmm, itt installs like Vista. ......It's as big as Vista. It's ..... really Vista 2!

Truth - they've streamlined things like the UAC and ironed out a lot of the file transfer nonsense that plagued the original. It's pretty to look at and may end up being very much more usable than Vista. However, I'm willing to bet I'll still have to use more keystrokes to get many of the same jobs done, and that is no improvement. I'm bound to move all my server functions over to an Ubuntu box running Intrepid Ibex v8.10 which is proving very very stable.

Also, I'd be looking at Windows 7 to install only in a 64-bit version. Drivers for 64-bit are maturing and honestly many things move faster. With no memory bottleneck 8GB or 16GB is a real possibility and makes the prospect of using multiple VMs more palatable and functional as you can then really devote enough memory to a given VM.

Edited by DonDamm

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem:( my pc:

CPU: AMD Athlon64 x2 4200+

MB: Asus M2N-VM DVI(Nvidia MCP68 Chipset)

RAM: 2x 1GB Kingston value ram 666MHz

HDD: Western Digital WDC WD1600JB-00REA0 160 GBytes

DVD LG Electronics:HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22N ATA ATAPI

Network: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

video integrated GF7050

I have tried 6956 and 7000 both have same result->pc hangs at the part that says "starting windows". and restarts w/o bsod,or maybe I can't see it.

post the STOP code so that we can see which Bugcheck you got

And by STOP code you mean?.sorry but I'm kind of new here, but I learn fast :)

do you mean: ntbtlog.txt?

googeled a bit:P you meant BSoD code? well I don't see any.

on my screen I only see the part that says "starting windows",after that my screen goes black and pc restarts.

Edited by easy90rider