What do you delete after removing components with nLite?

drfakeacc

Simple Question. After doing every for your PC useable Tweak and Removement, what else do you remove from your XP ISO before you burn it?

Are there some things "everybody can do", do you have some special suggestions what to delete?

I can't believe that XP can't be slimmed down further after nLite-ing it. So I ask you, what else to do?

Uhh....If you have 125000 files to delete after installing with nlite, then you sure as hell didn't disable enough in nlite.

I've almost got XP SP3 down below 200mb, and I only have about 400-500 in my list. I could have it even lower, but I have a need for network printer support and .net preinstalled...

I'd recommend to not rely on a common list (if there is one) and that you just need to find them for yourself and make some sexy batch script to remove em :)

vultureman :Read what i wrote again. I wrote after windows is installed. Nlite removes like 3-4000 files alone, however, removing the rest of the components, only helps to break windows into an disfunctional operating system, where things are not supported or not working.

If set to break the system, leaving only "bare bones", the iso is 119mb. Which is quite good imho, considering it is xp 64bit, and by default containing more files and stuff then the 32bit xp, even so that xp x64 derives from 2003 codebase.

Edited by TranceEnergy

If I create a CD without adding anything, only removing and tweaking things, its about 120MB with around 1800 files.

I might be able to slim it down even more, but for this I have to fix some things I didn't get around with atm.

But how should I figure out what to delete and what not? After installing I remove a lot of stuff, but thats mainly from installed Software, ect.

From where the heck should I know what ddl-asfdasd is about?

So I ask you to help me and give me kinda advice to figure that out.

But how should I figure out what to delete and what not?

You will need to read a lot. One clue is to look into your drivers.

Here's an example. I have a graphics card which supports hdmi, and thus it is realtek hdmi in this case.

By reading into what the installed realtek hd audio driver files were, i were able to exaclty pinpoint what files i could delete from that drivers package. So i could delete 35 files, and there are 19 files remaining.

So i was inspecting the driver through device manager, and thus finding the knowledge i would need in order to understand what i could remove or not.

Based on one's preference, one could also delete any service that of which are installed by any drivers.

Another example is the Marvell Yukon gigabit drivers, which of latest version installs a service.

This service can be deleted without ill effects to normal operation of the driver, afaik.

The point of saying all this, is that one can automate the entire process of making an install image that would as said automate the process.

I only started out making such automated setup few months ago, and it did not even then take too long before i had a decent setup, imho.

If you feel you are unable to find information fast enough to please your lust for knowledge, i can recommend a software called Eye-IQ. This has helped me in reading from 1200-1500 words per minute.

Do not however, expect anyone to hand down to you what you can remove for your setup, as it would mean the person doing so would need to know all of your hardware, operating system and files installed therein, and most importantly your desires and usage for this operating system.

I stripped every driver to the minimum, but thanks for the suggestion. ;)

I menat more, what am I able to delete from the plain, nLited XP Image. There have to be files wich are only nessesary for special needs, or Images, or never used dlls. Such things are what I am looking for.

Your description : never used dlls - is a matter of perspective.
Yes, for sure.

But how do I figure out, what I need and what I don't?

Should I just rename every dl_ to dll and look up what it might be used to, guessing out of the little bits of information that are given by the file?

And then justtrial and error?

Or is there something "easier"?