A few notes and questions.

mustang509

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is a list of components I have left in my build of vista sp1. I have also included a few notes. I slip streamed sp1 and upon doing that a few of the options to remove things disappeared. WLAN and FIREWALL are no longer on the remove list. Not a bad thing I wanted to keep them anyhow. I wanted to keep network and sharing center because I have wireless. You need to keep printer and file sharing (server) to make it work on my computer. I don’t believe it’s listed as a being needed on the compatibility list for it. I ended up loading my slipstream DVD to make sure it worked on there and it did. I have been reading and experimenting with combinations for days and have ran out of DVDs. My goal was to get a close to full functional copy of vista on a cd-rom. I am close my copy is down to 715mb. I was hoping someone could look over what I have left and recommend what would be safe to remove without losing any real functionality. When I look at the compatibility and comments I can’t figure out what’s still safe to remove. I am close and have a full functioning copy working now. I traded windows media player for vlc. Not that I wanted to just that I couldn’t figure out any other way to get close to 700mb without dumping it. One last note not sure what I have deleted but diagnostics don’t work like it should when I try and repair my wireless network it just says see admin windows can’t repair. Well if nothing else hopefully a few of these notes might help someone. Sorry I got carried away but I would like to say thanks in advance for any help. As a note the things with an asterisk I would like to try and keep. If anyone has any ideas please fill free to chime in. and please let me know what your suggestions would do since I am not clear on the things left on the list. They all seem to be needed.

*Disk Cleanup

*Notepad

*Paint

*Ethernet network adapters

*Floppy Disk Support

*Modem Support

*Printer Support

*Windows Image Acquisition

*WLAN Support "option not removeable after slip streaming sp1"

*Firewall "same as above option to remove gone"

*Media Metadata Handler

*Shell event sounds

*Windows Aero Theme

*Windows Photo Viewer

*File and printer sharing (Server) "needed for network and sharing center"

*Internet Explorer

Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD)

*Network and Sharing Center

Network Explorer

Quality of Service (QoS)

*Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) "needed for netstat and other tools"

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

Computer Browser

*Desktop Window Manager "aero desktop didnt work right without it"

DHCP

*Diagnostics "not sure what is missing but diagnose and repair network dont work like it should"

DNS Client

Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)

Interactive Services Detection

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

IP Helper

IPsec Policy Agent

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Network Access Protection Agent

Network List Service

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

Quality Windows Audio Video Experience

ReadyBoost

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Remote Access Connection Manager

SSDP Discovery

SuperFetch

Task Scheduler

TCP/IP NetBios Helper

Telephony

TPM Base Services

Universal Plug and Play (UPNP)

User-mode Driver Framework

Windows Color System (WCS/ICM)

Windows Connect Now

Windows Event Log

Windows Remote Management

Windows Time

Windows Update

*Beep

Component Cache (winsxs)

*Disk Defragmenter

*IMAPIv2 Burning Support

*Jet Database Engine "office 2000 wouldnt install right without it"

MDAC

Microsoft HTML engine

Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ)

Remote Differential Compression

Removable Storage Management

*Run a legacy CPL elevated

Software Quality Management (SQM)

*User Account Control (UAC)

*Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (Shimgvw)

Again thanks for any help or comments.

Any one have any ideas on why the wireless diagnostic doesn’t work. That’s the only reason I kept the “diagnostic” and “network and file sharing” features. The error just comes up “Windows can’t resolve the problem please contact your network admin or ISP”. No option to reset the network or any other options that used to come up. Thanks in advance.

I'll give you the best advice you will ever get when trying to make a vlited vista install image.

Imagine it was xp and kill vista components.

Basically in almost all fields, if it doesnt exist in xp, you dont really need it. In just about every component this is true. Depending on what you want to keep this of course varies.

However, remember that Vlite isnt a dream machine. There's still things you would have to do manually in order to achieve a slim system.

You should be able to run vista with 10 or less services, and still have all hardware support. Tablets/wireless/lan/ssl, etc.

TranceEnergy point well taken I will do some looking on features that xp has since I don't have a copy. I guess there is no point in keeping the "network and file sharing" or "diagnostics" if I have to do them manually. Seeings how the WLAN is already in there I will just configure it manually. Thanks for the reply.

Take in mind f.example ipv6 in xp needs dhcp service somewhat as u cant enter manual ip adress.

In vista you can easily enter a static ipv6 adress to that end. Always an exception to any rule =)

Ipv6 doesnt matter anyway if your ISP or your adsl modem does not support it. Which personally, i think is sad.

One more thing, or two or three (added as i went along ;))

Sometimes a service will not start, if a service has been deleted, whereas the "asking" service has a written dependency to the *deleted* service.

So here there are knowledge to be made.

In many cases, the written dependency inside windows registry, can be deleted.

And thus the service whos deleted service dependency can once again be started, and it is business as usual. =))

One might argue and state the fact that why does not windows simply "see" that the service dependent on is deleted.

So here one can clearly see the operating system is not capable of determining if the service truly needs the deleted service.

1)

Grofluigi recently stated he was deleting the shell hardware detection, also known as Autoplay, etc, which is a service that Windows Image acquisition depends on. However, by all reasoning and common knowledge, the obvious question becomes, why the hel!! or much more what should the common need of those two services be?

The answear to that maybe such as "quick copy/fax/email" or such similar functions of hardware devices as printers/scanners etc.

2)

The thing here then to remember, that while a service may start without such services that are originally marked as dependant on, one can only be sure of that the service can start and do basic functions. One can not automatically root out that other functions, such as seen dependencies in 1) would work. Seeing as things not always would seem logical, doesnt mean there's not nothing true to such dependencies.

3)

By default of 1 and 2 here, if one has prior knowledge to such programs as nlite and vlite, one can recognize WHY it is difficult to write good descriptions for such components removals.

Having said that, there are threads such as "what to not remove for programs".

However, it does not seem much efficient to me, one might want to initiate either a unique website to that end, or like a subforum at least. There is far too much information, equivalent of writing a whole book to it, to attempt to put it all in a single post. Even if one did attempt, be sure that forum limits at some point would be tested to the limit to what size the post may be.

TranceEnergy all I can say is wow !!! And thanks for all your feedback.

Although I believe you are correct in all your points you have left me more bewildered than my original post lol. I am not looking for a hand out was just wondering if someone might have an answer on what I could still safely remove. I know that’s a per user and application question as we are all looking for different things. I started out to just remove the bloat in vista then got the bug to get it down to a full functioning program in my thoughts. That being said I guess all I am looking for is the most functional lite version that I can burn to a 700mb cd. If I cant get there from here may as well just stick to a full dvd version. Although I don’t believe that to be the case since I am so close even though I had to get rid of Windows Media player. As you might tell my lite version still works with MS Office lol.