Norton Internet Security 2009

Guest Sweden

Hello!

I have a problem with a nLited version of XP when I try to install

Norton Internet Security 2009, it install fine but the problem is

that it cant start.

I have probably removed one or more components or services

that is needed for it to work properly but i dont know how to find

out which onces, someone knows or have any ideas?

I know these are required:

Terminal Service

Taskscheduler

Terminal Service was needed to install it, but now i dont know more... Any ideas?

Sweden,

Couple of suggestions:

Since Norton's is a paid for program, e-mail their support and ask them the question.

Attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini and tell us what you are doing and with what.

Enjoy, John.

Thanks for your reply John!

Here is my Last session, i have contacted Symantec but i havent

told them I have a nLited version of XP because i think they wont

help me if i tell them that. Anyway, do you have any suggestions?

/Sweden

F_reg_ende_session.ini

Edited by Sweden

Sweden,

I can see you have taken out a lot of stuff, but I can't read many of the entries. It does look like you have removed some networking stuff. I know that Norton's programs are going to use the Internet, so possibly that is a problem. Does your browser work OK? I guess my only suggestion at this time is to put about have of the things back you have removed and see if it will start.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by 'won't start'. Does it show up in the Task Manager at all? - for a second then disappear? Are there any errors or messages? Does Norton have any log file anywhere?

Really grasping at straws here.

Good luck, John.

Removing Volume shadow copy service, is in general speaking, a bad idea. Afaik this works with windows core when doing updates, winsxs background stuff etc..

System event notification is also a bad idea, and can actually generate problems, i would never remove that.

A good example of some bad idea to remove is f.ex windows firewall here on xp x64, if you do that with nlite.

However, that doesnt mean the service cant be removed, and steel keep lan browsing capability.

I would also put back in Snmp, or at least make a list with "keep files" in nlite, and a batch to recopy some of the files u need for printer support.

Other candidates are "message queuing" of course, and possibly "protected storage".

Also removing ports support (under hardware support) is a bad idea. Windows will not install what it cant find of devices anyway.

Well the basic serial port is an issue, but its a MS "bug", can safely be uninstalled and if disabled from bios it wont be reinstalled.

To be short, dont remove anything under hardware support, unless you really know you 100% never will need it.

i only remove

AGP filters

ALI IDE Controller

AMD IDE Controller

ATM Support

Battery

Brother Devices

CMD PCI IDE Controller

CPU AMD

CPU Intel

Intel PCI IDE Controller

Iomega Zip drive

Modem Support

Multi-port serial adapters

PCMCIA

Ramdisk

Secure Digital host controller

Teletext codec

Toshiba PCI IDE Controller

VIA PCI IDE Controller

Windows CE USB Host

from that in my current install, because its not a laptop, and i dont need a modem. The rest is stuff i dont have nor ever will use anyway. Brother hardware= bloat ware anyway.

Battery removal is questionable since this has been an issue with certain versions of windows combined with internet explorer updates. Not necessarily combined.

Finally, take in mind that what Nlite labels as "you need this service for that other service to work" compability, isnt always true.

Testing and trying, is what works.

Edited by TranceEnergy

By wont start i mean norton shows up a popup saying: "This Norton product cant start".

Thanks for you reply TranceEnergy!

I will look into what i can take back to find out whats missing.

Thanks anyway!

On your norton issue. And please dont take this in the wrong way.

Forget about it. If you have paid for it, okay that sucks, but still the same, forget about it.

Norton = Sucks beyond my wildest geekiest nightmare.

Go freeware instead.

Arm yourself with avast, spybot, comodo if u like, windows defender, advanced windows care, etc.

You WILL be better off. I know it's only my word for it. But still. Also considering locking down your internet services and suchs.

Make sure you get a 100% stealth protected at http://www.grc.com/default.htm - Shields up.

Use Firefox as browser, and enable things as NoScript etc. Even better get Portable Firefox, i use that 100%, and love it.