Network has to be reset at each boot. Vista H.P. x64

Porkrinds

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with the Intel G33 chipset. The onboard chip is reported to be a Intel 82562V-2 by Vista. There is no native support, a driver is required for this to work from a clean install. I have tried drivers from Dell and directly from Intel. The problem I am having is that when I restart my machine, the device does not aquire a DHCP lease. I can not ipconfig /renew as it fails. I don't suspect my router, because all other devices work. I have to manually disable the device and re-enable it in order to get an IP address. Once done, the device gets an IP almost instantly. I have not tried manually assigning an IP, but that could be one solution.

Basic specs:

Intel Dual-core E2200

4GB 800MHz DDR2

Nvidia 7900 GS Video, PCI-E.

Clean Vista Home Premium install from Dell OEM DVD. 64-Bit. :ph34r:

known, and annoying Vista bug. Infact its the only real bug in vista i have been hit with.

My laptop would say "identifying" in network centre, yet my internet would work, network access wouldnt, i couldnt stream media either since i wasnt "on" the network. every so often it would actually identify the network for about 2 seconds, before tripping back out again.

MS changed the way DHCP requests are made in Vista, your options arent great either.

i have mine working ok now, but it has been a pest for the past few weeks, i got a new router and the problems started.

Vista doesent like getting addresses from some non MS DHCP servers - so thats option one, run a proper server.

Option 2 is to get rid of SP1.

Option 3 is to use a fixed IP address.

i went for option 4, reg hack.

However there are varying results here, works for some people and not others. Microsofts guide on fixing it didnt work, but did help somewhat. Before doing this you will need to find outy the GUID of your network adapter that you want to fix, the GUID represents the GUID of the network interface card in your computer. To find the GUID for the interface you are using, run a command prompt as Administrator, and type:

net config rdr

and then hit enter.

WARNING: Only apply this patch if you are having problems and dont apply it to all your NICs

HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS\INTERFACES\{GUID}

Change

DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag = 0

ADD DWORD

DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle = 1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\TCPIP6\PARAMETERS\

ADD DWORD

DisabledComponents = FF (hex)

Hope this helps :)

Edited by FthrJACK