Windows 98 shutdown problems related to certain applications

Sfor

Windows 98 does suffer from many issues related to the system shutdown procedures. This time I would like to gather some informations about possible explanations and/or solutions related to application caused shutdown issues.

I've encoutered a few applications causing the system to shut down incorrectly. In the same time there are no problems with system reboots.

After running and then closing one of the problem causing applications, the system works correctly. But when powering down, it stops at the shutdown screen. After a forced reeboot the Scandisk is started. The pesky applications do not show any error messages or unhandled exceptions. Without running them, the system powers down correctly. I can replicate the effect on many Windows 98 running computers. All do have polish Windows 98SE USP 2.1, IE 6SP1 installed.

One of the pesky applications is the Gothic game. It was localized to the polish language, so I can not be sure other language versions will cause the same symptoms.

Edited by Sfor

I've compared all the files versions from the Microft's article with files on my computer. All of them are the same version or newer. So, it looks like the Gape's Unofficial Service Pack 2.1 did install the shutdown suplement, already.

I do have the Unofficial Explorer Lockups SHELL32.DLL Fix and browser .DLL fixes installed, as well.

If you have 1 GiB or more of RAM you may be encountering the infamous memory allocation troubles with W98SE. Before I sorted it out, I had similar behavior with the nVidia drivers that was not fixed by the shutdown supplement. Installing HIMEMX made that problem go away and shutdown has been clean ever since.

If that's not it, then you are in for a long slog to go down the hang-on-shutdown troubleshooting checklist until the behavior changes. Good luck.

My 2 cts : issues of the kind are likely caused by virtual device drivers (vxd) manageing incorrectly, or not at all, the messages that VMM broadcasts to all vxds before allowing Windows to shut itself down.

Check those offending applications for them having dynamically loaded VxDs. You can use a GUI tool named "vxdview" ; in fact I know of two different such tools going by the same name, either will do.

If it is in fact an inadequate VxD hanging your OS at shutdown, I'm afraid you can't do much anything save for finding an updated version of the app or its vxd, or stop using the app, else live with the inconvenience.

--

Ninho

It appears the system does not shut down correctly when Fiolog.vxd is still present after shutting down the application.

Fiolog.vxd

File I/O Logging VxD for Application Defrag

I do not know if a newer version of this file is available.

-----------------------

A further investigation revealed the Fiolog.vxd is a part of the Windows Defrag system. It is enough to disable Task Monitor to get rid of the Fiolog.vxd. Now, there is no difference in the VXD list before and after running the application.

Since the Fiolog.vxd monitors the file operations it is possible to form a theory, the Windows does not shut down because of unfinished disk operations. Further evidence is the fact the Windows does the Scandisk check after switching the power off, when it stucks at the shutdown screen.

The good question is, why there is no problem with the system reboot? What is the difference with unfinished disk operations between power down and reboot procedures?

Edited by Sfor

It appears the system does not shut down correctly when Fiolog.vxd is still present after shutting down the application.

So you nailed it down... You /might/ be able to unload the reluctant vxd "by hand", or rather using some dedicated dynamic-vxd-management app. Caution !

(added) If Fiolog is the one thing that bugs you, change the defragmenter's settings so it does not "optimize programs so they start faster".

Then check running processes for "taskmon.exe" : you do NOT want to have it in the list. Perso I have never found it to be any worth in lettin the defragmenter monitor the programs' starting phase. YMMV. (/added)

The good question is, why there is no problem with the system reboot? What is the difference with unfinished disk operations between power down and reboot procedures?

This last part is easy to answer : power down uses ACPI (unless on very old mobos which used APM), rebooting does not need it.

ACPI is a mess which does not always work correctly (since it was invented and imposed on the industry by the devious brains at M...soft).

Cheers

Edited by Ninho

Well, I was able to get rid of the Fiolog.vxd through disabling the Task Monitor in the Msconfig. But, it changed nothing. So, Fiolog.vxd is just a side effect, not the cause.

As for the ACPI. I do believe the applications closing and disk buffers emptying are done before using the ACPI functions. So, since the disk operations were not concluded, it seems the ACPI is not the problem.

Edited by Sfor

Impossible to diagnose such things with so vague information and without access to the affected system, as you understand, besides I guess you're at least as qualified as I or anybody. All I've been trying was to suggest leads you could follow, in particular ACPI may be a factor, or not.

I would go on trying to chase errant VxDs, using a trial-and-error approach.

Good luck !

Try using nopey with different commandline parameters, see if any of the combinations results in a clean shutdown.

I must say I'm having such shutdown problems myself on a random basis, but since I'm basically keeping my machine on 24/7 and only rebooting every 3-6 days when resources go too low, I haven't wasted any time chasing for the bug.

Well, I noticed unfinished shutdown may occur after having application crashes during the current session, probably those directly related to kernel32.dll.

But bad drivers, plugged-in USB devices and other factors may contribute to this, so it's hard to pinpoint the issue, especially when it happens due to concurring events.

Try using nopey with different commandline parameters, see if any of the combinations results in a clean shutdown.

It seems NOPEY's shutdown functions are not working correctly in Windows 98. The "shutdown -force" and "poweroff -force" functions are closing the applications. However, some applications are not closed (with the system shell included), so the system keeps running.