Improve Gas Mileage?

Redhatcc

Driving 65 to 70mph in the right lane on the interstate gives much better mileage than 80 to 90mph in the high speed lane. It's safer too. :thumbup
That´s normally the left lane (high speed lane), so you have no cars to brake for and you can drive relaxed without taking over ;) (You know I´m joking I hope :P).

There are a lot of recent things on TV and radio saying you can save your gas mileage by driving below 40 and staying off the highways.

I was always confused about science until i learned about money. To think about how fast we've gotten our processors in our computers in the past 20 years! Think of this one! My first car I got used in 1998. It was a 12 year old car called the 1986 Subaru. It had no name. It was a 2WD/4WD (switching) station wagon. It got 32MPG highway. I know it got this because at some point during my short owning tenure, the gas gauge broke and I had to keep track and determine how many miles I needed to drive before I would run out of gas. In 2001, I bought a BRAND NEW car, a Hyundai sedan. It only gets 29MPG highway. Is this a step backwards? Don't you think they can make cars get better gas mileage by now?

Well, yes they can, they do but you can't buy one. My college professor told me a story he had when he was buying a car in 1978. I forget the exact name (he told me this story like 8 years ago) of the car, but it was one of those larger models like a Lincoln or Cadillac. He had bought the car at the dealer, but they had to order him one and said to pick it up in a couple of days. He came back later and he got the car from them and drove it home. He said that it felt different for him driving it and when he got it home he opened up the hood to take a look around. Inside he said instead of the normal air filter (you older guys remember those big air filters right lol) he had seen on cars before, this one had one that was very large and thin. He didn't really think about it but noticed other parts in the engine that looked strange to him. He soon realised that the car got very good gas mileage. I can't remember how much he said that model originally got, but it was between 8 and 16mpg. He did some testing and determined that the car got 80MPG! He received a phone call about a week after getting it and the dealer said that they had given him the wrong car. They said his car was supposed to go to someone else and they got his real car in. He brought the car back and switched it out. His replacement car was different and did not get the same good gas mileage. He also said that the engine looked like normal engines do. He used this story (for us in class) to explain why some parts of computers (err mainframes) were more advanced than others, secretly complaining about money slowing down technology. He had previously been an engineer for Lockheed before becoming a college professor.

Those HHO coolant systems look pretty cool, but I just don't understand how using HHO instead of standard air is so much better for the car.

He had previously been an engineer for Lockheed before becoming a college professor.

By any chance was he also abducted by aliens any time in his childhood? :unsure:

We all know about the conspiracy by car manufacturers to give us fuel thirsty cars whilst they do have already in production new engines that they only give to a few chaps under a very strict non disclosure agreement.

Obviously they do so because if they mass produced them they would be so cheap that they could sell more new cars and completely ruin the maintenance workshops for the old models. :w00t:

jaclaz

He had previously been an engineer for Lockheed before becoming a college professor.

Those HHO coolant systems look pretty cool, but I just don't understand how using HHO instead of standard air is so much better for the car.

If that where the case, then i would have thought he would have noticed more than just "the airfilter was big" and i dont think he would have just dumbly returned the car either... :/

as for the HHO bit, i agree too - go to that site and watch some clips, especially the explosive hazards one - constantly the site tells you to not mix metals and use only stainless through the system.

umm, ok... makes sense, you dont want to make a nice little hho generator just to have it eat itself away before going bang. But ummm... what do you think its doing to the inside of your copper sleaved cylinders with stainless pistons and aluminium engine block? :S

:blink:

Seriously?

Wikipedia:

Oxyhydrogen

Oxyhydrogen is a mixture of hydrogen (H2) and oxygen (O2) gases, typically in a 2:1 molar ratio, the same proportion as water.[1] This gaseous mixture is used for torches for the processing of refractory materials.[citation needed]

Automotive

Oxyhydrogen is often mentioned in conjunction with devices that claim to operate a car using water as a fuel. Because the energy required to split water exceeds the energy recouped by burning it, these devices reduce, rather than improve fuel efficiency.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyhydrogen