Improve Gas Mileage?

Redhatcc

I have herd stories of gas/air mixers, and gas heaters to help the gas warm up before going into the combustion chamber, i've even herd local repair shops talking about moth balls in your gas tank.

At the moment i get 8 miles per gallon :ph34r: ..... does anyone know of a item, or method (besides driving 40 lol), or solution to getting better gas? It doesnt realy bother me gas prices but is sorta interesting since i drive an 03 H2.

... i've even herd local repair shops talking about moth balls in your gas tank. ...
True, some do provide a higher octane level but I would only use them with a gas filter :P.

About heating up the gas, that would give you less power, it would be better to cool and compress the air more and get better injectors/sprayers with a finer nozzle...

... since i drive an 03 H2.
What a tank... suffer or exchange it for something more "usefull" :lol: .

HHO Generator:

http://diyhydrogenhho.com/ (I only peeked at the page, as I was just using it as an idea for you)

Got a buddy that states he gets 60mpg in an old Ford with a unit that produces 2L/min.

I've been researching this myself, however, have yet to find the motivation or the time to try to build one and test it.

Edited by twig123

Well, replacing the 6.0L engine with something more economical, and reducing weight (I think that by default, an H2 is 6400lbs), would be a good start. Honestly, a 3.0L diesel turbo would give almost identical power and torque, with more than double the gas mileage. If you're looking for a silver bullet device, it doesn't exist - there are computer replacements out there that can give you a few mpg back, so that'd be where I'd start if an engine swap isn't something you're interested in ;).

Honestly, a 3.0L diesel turbo would give almost identical power and torque, with more than double the gas mileage.
If it´s an European engine yes :P, NOT the one used in the H1. And how about 3 times the gas mileage with that curb-weight of 2900kg :P.

Check out the forums at these sites:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/

http://www.gassavers.org/

top 10 gas saving tips ----http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2584

http://ecomodder.com/

http://greenhybrid.com/

Although the biggest gains usually come from adjusting tire pressure, and the nut behind the wheel.

Edited by RJM

What a bad site, for real, their top 201 tips...
195. Buy a 'common rail' diesel

If your going to buy a diesel vehicle, ensure it is a new 'common rail' type, as these are approximately 10% more efficient than older diesels.

Must be sponsored by Ford :P.

Anyway, use common sense when you drive, I used to drive 27km with 1 liter of diesel (1035kg car with 150BHP and 320nm torque with no airco), also used the best tires for the car, the most narrow model tires, (195*50 (I think it was 50) on my 16" rims, while there was space for 225 or 235 or so). It´s mostly a difference in "culture and education", while I see that in America they use big engines and high curb weights with an outdated technology, in Japan and Europe they will use small engine G-/super/turbo charged and if possible running on Bio-Diesel / Bio-gas with a light curb weight and the latest affordable technology.

Although the biggest gains usually come from adjusting tire pressure, and the nut behind the wheel.
Indeed, good point, and good balanced ones, lightweight if possible... NO oversized crap that only looks good…
You should watch the Mythbusters episode dealing with this exact same topic, they do allot of the stuff you mention and nothing helped
Yes, with modern engines is has way less effect, however, I remember that old veterans of MX sport did these thing with their carbureted engines and it seemed to work back then, I must say that I´ve played with it 19 years ago as well to get the 50cc bike run a km/h faster :sneaky:, and it did!

a lot of newer deisel engines can run on modified cooking oil with little or no modification, some just need an in line fuel filter. some of the really new cars dont even need modified oil, you can litterally go to the store, buy some rapeseed oil and put it in your tank!

-- obviously it goes without saying to check if your car is capable, if you break it its not my fault :P

Well you could also get those bootleg cars from China. I forget the name of the company now, but I do know the story behind them. A few years back, GM closed a bunch of plants in China. The workers there had kept copies of all the designs and duplicated all the machinery and re-opened the plants. They then started making bootleg GM cars. Like they looked like the same model as current or near-current GM cars but they had their company name on them. They said they had an SUV (it looked like the big Cadillac one) that got 60mpg (converted estimate) and they were showcasing them at a car show in Singapore or someplace. They were showing them off and one guy from the company said they are selling pretty well in China but they can't export them because the car makers in the US are blocking their attempts to sell them in the US. The guy laughed saying how they were too much competition for them to handle or something.

When I opened this very subject on another forum, some time back, I got a lot of hoots, hollers and wise cracks, but NO substantial suggestions.

In general it appeared that no-one was seriously interested in improving their gas mileage.

I drive a small Suzuki Forenza that was supposed to get a lot better mileage than what I've been seeing in my personal driving. What a big disappointment that was!

Racing down the interstate at 80mph+ doesn't get it!

Driving with a dirty air filter, dirty oil and soft squishy tires don't get it either. :angry:

My solution to better mileage is "Just Cool It" on the highway. Driving 65 to 70mph in the right lane on the interstate gives much better mileage than 80 to 90mph in the high speed lane. It's safer too. :thumbup

Then, I make sure that my tires are inflated to the recommended pressure, plus a little more.

Firm tires roll easier and give better mileage than soft squishy tires.

I exchanged the stock air filter with a "K&N" Air Cleaner, which I clean and re-oil on a regular maintenance schedule.

I use a good quality Pennsylvania Grade motor oil and I add a can of STP on every oil change (every 3000 miles).

I now get about 5 mpg more than when I did nothing to improve my mileage.

I have NOT fooled around with the engine control computer or added any "Gadgets" to my car.

I've done no more than any driver can do.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 :hello:

since i drive an 03 H2.

Well there's your problem.

HHO Generator:

http://diyhydrogenhho.com/ (I only peeked at the page, as I was just using it as an idea for you)

Got a buddy that states he gets 60mpg in an old Ford with a unit that produces 2L/min.

I've been researching this myself, however, have yet to find the motivation or the time to try to build one and test it.

Wanna buy a bridge?

Real suggestions:

1. Inflate your tires to reduce rolling resistance. You can go a little over suggested pressures.

2. Clean out your car. Too much crap in the back is adding to the weight.

3. Easy on the accelerator. You waste the most fuel accelerating. Coast when you can, avoid accelerating into a stop, or a red light. In stop&go traffic, 'smooth' out your speed. The more fluid and smooth your speed, the better. Reduce stop&go as much as possible.

4. Air filter, oil, spark plugs... etc.

5. Its also good to drive the engine hard on occasion. This dislodges buildup of carbon deposits on the inside.

6. Drive slower. Aerodynamics kill your mileage. It takes 4x more energy to go 2x faster. A good sweet spot is 50-60mph for most cars. Blockier cars like Jeeps have a lower 'sweet spot'.

7. Get a higher flow muffler. This reduces the overall work the engine does pushing exhaust out.

8. Get your ECU tuned for better mileage, or get the official firmware updates from your car's manufacturer anyway.

9. Improve aerodynamics. All those novelty stick-ons you have on your car is killing your aerodynamics. Avoid things like roof racks, extra lights.. etc. The less stuff you have on your car, the better. Drive with the windows up at higher speeds too.

10. Avoid A/C. It takes energy to run the compressor. If you can do without, then do so. Run the cabin fan only if its a cool day.

They said they had an SUV (it looked like the big Cadillac one) that got 60mpg (converted estimate) and they were showcasing them at a car show in Singapore or someplace. They were showing them off and one guy from the company said they are selling pretty well in China but they can't export them because the car makers in the US are blocking their attempts to sell them in the US. The guy laughed saying how they were too much competition for them to handle or something.

I can believe 60mpg on a car made of tinfoil with a tiny engine that doesn't follow any emission standards. I think this is the SUV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWy_fASSiQ

Notice how the steering wheel, gently wraps around the drivers face in the crash?

Yeah, its the big bad US manufacturers that are blocking this car from being sold anywhere. :sneaky:

Edited by brucevangeorge

i'm sorry, but in reading this, this is what i read:

"i get 8 miles per gallon, i drive an 03 H2. Improve Gas Mileage? Is there a promising solution?"

answer: no.

you drive a tank with a 6 liter V8 (unless you got some other package).

what on this green earth possessed you to buy that cumbersome monstrosity?