Why RapidShare? :(

lama

Rapidshare only cares about how legal the files they host are if they get a complaint. There are of course a lot of legal issues but If you use you personal webspace to store a copyrighted file, it is possible that your ISP could tell a complaining copyright holder who you are. Sites like Rapidshare would only have your IP address and possibly your billing info from their resellers (which is more like their money launderers) but most uploaders get around that by buying accounts via resellers or ebay so that if traced back, it wont lead to them.

not saying anyone on this forum is that hardcore about it. most of the members here just want to avoid the 'grey area' of the EULA.

Yeah that would suck... I never do that :P The only files I host is my own stuff :P Photos, free programs, mods for games, stuff like that.

Man I haven't used rapidshare in years..

People don't understand that they can find your IP address easy, unless you are using a proxy right?

Yeah when it comes to copyright infringement, getting their IP address is less useful than it used to be. Sites like rapidshare add just another link in the chain of evidence a copyright holder has to follow to find a user. which further delays the process. and if the infringing IP address is a shared network (companies,universities,etc) they may only have 1 or 2 IP addresses to the outside world but have hundreds of users.

assume for a minute that you are responsible for one of these networks. if you were to receive a complaint that a user somewhere inside your network had recently infringed on someones copyright or was actively sharing a file with the outside world, you could easily relay that users identity/location on your site. but if someone contacts you and asks about a user who 6 months ago accessed rapidshare and downloaded a file, you would need to sift through a potentially massive logfile(assuming you archive that long) to find where the user was. That still doesn't guarantee that you would be able to tie that logfile entry to a specific person.

Well, you are all right regarding the illegal stuff, however one may need a quick means of distributing perfectly legal stuff (homemade videos/pictures, own scripts/applications, etc) and they do not own a personal web space, neither can they afford a paid one.

The nasty part is that some people have static IPs while others (like me, for example) have dynamic IPs. This means the latter cannot put up a stable HTTP/FTP server and share the link, since a disconnection/reconnection would immediately change the IP and the link would die.

Of course, for immediate file transfer, one can quickly share files through rejetto's HFS (HTTP File Server), for example, and send the link through instant messaging, e-mail, SMS, etc. But when the recipient may delay the download for an unknown period of time, there's no guaranteee that the file will still be reachable.

So the easiest way to distribute material - be it perfectly legal or not - remains the usage of free hosts, for having a stable domain that can be linked to.

Personally I had to use such hosts many times - e.g. updates on the WLL project - since my old account at Fateback only allows files of max. 200 kbytes. Nothing black or gray in my project AFAIK, but the lack of stable webspace forced me into using such alternative hosts.

Well, you are all right regarding the illegal stuff, however one may need a quick means of distributing perfectly legal stuff (homemade videos/pictures, own scripts/applications, etc) and they do not own a personal web space, neither can they afford a paid one.

ummm yeah and bittorrent is for sharing large files... like free linux distros. yeah... thats it linux distros....

/jk i know there are legit uses for it but the primary reason it still exists because or piracy and other non legit uses.

• 4 weeks later...

If you only have a file or two to share, then RS is very useful. I use it for my students sometimes. Recently they've overhauled the site and made the downloading for non-members much more palatable. A 30 - 60 second delay and even if you have a couple of large files the wait between downloads is way reduced. There are also other services which are quite good including MIHD, Mediafire, and others which aren't as annoying as easyshare or megadownload and the like. In fact, there are a large number of these hosts out there now, and they've completely changed the way we think about sharing. The FTP scene has all but disappeared and gone the way of the old BBs and terminal screens.

The issue of privacy, though, is a real one and one that needs to be addressed. If the pigheads at the RIAA and MPAA would ever get their heads out the dark places their in, they might just find that the internet offers them an unparalleled opportunity to broaden their markets and range. TV broadcasters who are currently locked into a limited number of primetime slots, and thus revenue, end up killing perfectly viable and well-liked shows because of very tight competition. If they expanded their audience by expanding thier primetime slot reach, they could increase advertising revenue, give us more flexibily in viewing (which makes us happier), and generally achieve a win win. Instead they both fight thier customers trying to maintain a rapidly outdating business model. Sigh. The consequences for us are an unprecedented attack on our privacy and liberty. MAny have already experienced the consequences of unprotected data and invasion of our personal privacies.

Our only defense, at this point is to password compressed and encrypted files (such as rar, ace, winzip and others can do) when using these hosts. Even GMail auto scans your mail and any attached zip files. I know because I tried to help someone long distance do an installation setup. Their isp required the MAC as identifier and the new machine had a different MAC. I sent a MAC spoofer in a zip file so she could get online and do updates without having to wait until the next day to reach the isp and then wait some more. GMail wouldn't let the zip file through until I passworded and encrypted it and then changed the extension to .doc! This stuff is a pain.

Tapping telephones is easy and the phone company was always a private one, but nevertheless, there are still very strong laws in place against wiretapping (well, okay, they've been watered down a lot by the current administration, but the concept is still there). WEith the int3rnet, however, there is an unabashed attack on our privacy rights and seemingly no shame attached to it. Why are we all still electing these clueless legislators??? Not long ago the German government was caught red-handed distributing a trojan and one legislator there when informed it would only work under windows suggested banning any other operating system!!!! these sorts of people are protecting us??? Anybody remember Orin Hatch of Utah who wanted to allow companies to physically damage anyone who accessed their computers from outside if they could??

Under the circumstances, rapidshare is doing very well. They provide a fast service and rose to the top of the heap very quickly. I wouldn't say they suck as much as that you need to be a bit circumspect if you're going to upload files that are not legit, or questionable. Use WinRar and encrypt.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion?

Use sharebee, or something like that so your users can choose. ;)

Trust me, from someone who frequents It-Leaked, you learn which sites you like best.

Bodango has a waiting period, but only after you download a file and no limit (I think)

Mediafire has no limit as far as I know and no waiting.

zShare is decent, but they have a short wait.

Sharebee is what I use. Useful. Multiple mirrors on sites so downloaders can choose.

All-in-all, I think Mediafire is the most useful for a single site, but if you don't mind an extra click, ShareBee rocks.

EDIT:

I forgot about RapidShare - it's over used and horrible.

Same with MegaUpload

Edited by Belak51

I refuse to use RapidShare. To start, I am not willing to pay to download files. RapidShare isn't like Newsgroups here. Second, even if I would use the free service (the 1 file per 24 hours) it usually is a waste because so many people upload files in many peices. And in addition, most files on RapidShare are warez and seems to be a popular site to host such files.

• 2 weeks later...