HfSlip and full slipstreaming

anthonyaudi

Hey guys I am new to using HFSlip and I am trying to figure some stuff out

can someone help me with the few questions I have.

Right now I was able to successfully slipstream SP3 into my cd as well as most of the updates. When I go to Windows Update after I am done my installation I have few updates that I can't install for some reason. (I'll get to these in a minute)

My main concern right now is the dotnet 1.1///2.0sp1//3.0//and 3.5

I put the exe files of the dotnet's in the hfguirunonce folder. During my installation it launches the setups for the dotnet's but it always fails it gives me an error on every dotnet. There is no specific error it gives me it just fails.

My objective was not to push any buttons during the install I just want everything to be installed after I'm done my install.

That is one problem I have I'd like to have my dotnet's to be installed during my installation.

My second problem is I'm not 100% sure why during my installation it does not ask me to answer any questions except for the name of the computer and it I want to register my windows. I was using Nlite before and I would answer the questions. I'm sure HfSlip has it's own answer file but I don't know how to use it I downloaded the hfanswers but I'm not really sure how to use it can someone explain it a little to me?

Finally my third problem is there are 2 hotfixes and an update that cannot install during my installation which I don't understand how to slipstream

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)

and

Cummulative Security Update for Active Killbits for Windows XP (KB956391)

and

Update Root Certificates that has no Hotfix KB number attached to it.

Can someone PLEASE help me

thanks

Anthony

Edited by anthonyaudi

I can't address the dot net with hfslip. Dotnet is more of an application and not part of the out of the box operating system. As far as the system prompting for information, you can specify it in your winnt.sif. You can readily find info on winnt.sif files on both the web and in the forums. HFSLIP does not create nor modify the winnt.sif file. Depending on options you chose in NLITE, NLITE will create/modify your winnt.sif file.

welcome to HFSLIP anthonyaudi! for further detailed info here TommyP's HFSLIP ...

for dotnet you may try any of these:

Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20080603), Create silent switchless .NET installers for Win2K/XP/2K3 x86

[updated].Net Framework All in One x86(incl 3.5SP1) 13/08/08

RogueSpear's Runtime Collection

as for your other concern, asking for the PC name is the only part i recall being asked to provide info (as far as my installs are concerned) ... but technically, if you have winnt.sif in use, your install should go unattended :)

cheers!

All done dotnet installed perfectly!

Now I need to know if I can get around

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157) to make this install silently..I can't get it to install silently.

I have it in HFGUIRUNONCE because if I put it in HF it does not install

is there a little reg patch that I can put in SVCPACK and just put the Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157) in the HF and it will install?

After that the only thing that my Installation is doing is still asking me to answer questions like the computer name and to register windows and stuff and I really have no idea why...I put the winnt.sif with all the correctly answered questions in the SOURCE folder and then created my SOURCESS folder but it does not work

did I have to put the winnt.sif in the SOURCESS folder??

You can put the winnt.sif folder in either the source prior to running hfslip and it will copy over everytime you run hfslip. If you are using the sourcess folder to make a bootable CD, then put it in the sourcess folder. The sourcess folder is the finished compilation. Are you sure it's winnt.sif and not winnt.sif.txt? It's a common mistake if you let windows do you a "favor" by hiding file extensions.

yup its winnt.sif i dont know why it always asks me for a computer name i have no idea its VERY annoying

also I would really like to know if theres a way around

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157) <--- to make it install silently (because if I put it in the HF folder it does not install and if I put it in the HFGUIRUNONCE it asks me to press agree)

Open your winnt.sif file and you should see this:

[userData]

FullName=xxxx

OrgName=yyyyy

ComputerName=zzzz

If you are running a VM with the same computer name, you will be prompted for a computer name.

As far as the windows search thing, pls read the first stickied post on this forum.