How to give XP public IP

Hossam

Hello,

I wanna to give my XP public IP , i already taken one from ISP but when i put it there is no Internet connection

I have Dlink router with dynamic IP & wanna make the XP computer with public IP "Real IP"

thanks

Not that easyh. You see, the public IP belongs to the router, which assigns "internal" IPs to any machines in the network. Unless you ditch using the router (or, if it is a modem too, configure it to bridge mode, if possible), all you can do is to redirect specific ports yiour programs need.

By the way, why do you want a public IP? Depending on the program, there are other ways to get things working that are safer.

Not that easyh. You see, the public IP belongs to the router, which assigns "internal" IPs to any machines in the network. Unless you ditch using the router (or, if it is a modem too, configure it to bridge mode, if possible), all you can do is to redirect specific ports yiour programs need.

By the way, why do you want a public IP? Depending on the program, there are other ways to get things working that are safer.

thanks Alex for ur help , so u mean I have to reconfigure my router first .. Right ?

My router is Dlink DSL-2540T .. Which option i have to configure ?

thanks in advance

Mods, please move this thread to the Network forum.

@Hossam

Please tell us exactly why you need a public IP address assigned to your pc.

I'll use 1 Public IP for VPN ISA server & the other machine (XP) for normal access the internet