w2ksp4 setup formats only 131g of 360g hdd ...

Molecule

new to 2k. and apparently lousy at searches, since I am sure this must be covered elsewhere ...

I just installed w2ksp4 onto a blank 360gb sata hdd (WD). During setup, sp4 stopped looking at 131gb.

I had it format 20g as NTFS, which left 111g as unformatted but identified, and the remainder past 131g as unidentified.

I was hoping I could use Partition Magic 8.01 to setup the rest, from 20 to 360g ... not. It sees a 131 g boundary as well.

I thought I had heard sp4 had fixed the larger LBA (48bit?) for large hdds. Was that for eide fat32s only?

How can I make the rest of a modern hdd visible to w2k and Partition Magic 8?

In case it be the mobo drivers -- MB is MSI p43-neo3f socket 775 with core2duo-e7200, 2g DDR2, etc. Northbridge is Intel P43, southbridge intel ICH10/ICH10R. All devices recognized and working in device manager (no yellow-?). MSI website drivers say xp (no mention of 2k) but msi says their drivers are intel drivers, and the intel site says their drivers support 2k on these chipsets.

was it a limitation of the fdisk that was launched when w2k setup saw a blank hdd? what do I do?

Edited by Molecule

Windows 2000 has indeed fixed the large HD problem, but not during setup. If you have a utility to resize partitions, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098:

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value name: EnableBigLba

Data type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 0x1

4. Quit Registry Editor.

Otherwise there was a discussion here on msfn about 2 years ago (HERE).

sorry to take so long to get back

@ Flip1001 -- that's a great link and it solved the immediate problem right away

@ James A -- ah hah! I needed to search in the slipstreaming forums as well!

that link brings up a major point, about reinstalls on 48-bit hdds

USP 5.1 does remove the 127GB barrier if it's slipstreamed.

It doesn't do so if it is installed normally. This is the safest way, but I better fix it to avoid any confusion :) /Gurgelmeyer B)

Just to be sure about slipstreamed vs. normal, by "normal" does he mean format with 28-bit fdisk, then install from MS original CD, and then install each KBxxxxxx.exe or tweak, or whatever, 1 by 1? By slipstreamed, does he mean build a new install CD, to replace the original MS CD? e.g. roll up all the updates and tweaks and build a new ... "slipstreamed" cd, using hfslip or nlite. So, "slipstreaming" refers to a cd -- and not to an operating system! good God, I'm slow!

I have DL'd what looks like a reasonable w2k update list (thanks to all who maintain the lists -- it is such a hairball, I don't know how they do it). Now I have to choose between nLite and hfSlip, to build a "slipstreamed" cd. Without stepping on anyone's toes, how do I to choose between them?

Before installing from a "slipstreamed cd," I take it I will still need a command prompt to (a) format 48-bit hdds and (B) to slipstream a new cd to install with. I take it, I can use any NT-OS to build the slipstreamed CD? For the re-install onto the original hdd, should I reformat the hdd, or just re-install on top of the old OS?

I was thinking of trying picoXP, a winBuilder boot-land.net project. It builds a bootcd which will loads only a command prompt. Nice -- that will feel like a proper place to start for me. picoXP, and utilities run under it, supposedly can see 48-bit hdds, including ntfs, as well as USB drives. Maybe the dos version of PartitionMagic8 will run under picoXP as well!

thanks ...

Now I have to choose between nLite and hfSlip, to build a "slipstreamed" cd. Without stepping on anyone's toes, how do I to choose between them?

If you add reg.exe into a specific folder(or have it on your system allready), then HFSLIP will make the lba-fix in a way which also works during setup.

HFSLIP can slipstream DX9c in a way which leaves out all the bloat(pictures of gaming devices).

You can use an answer-file to make the HFSLIP process completelly unattended.

Open-source and written in plain cmd syntax, so you can see exactly what's going on behind the scenes and you're able to mod it to your own likings if you see fit.

Last time i checked, then HFSLIP supported more updates for direct integration than nLite did...

Finally, then HFSLIP supports FDV's Win2k IE/Junk Removal Fileset, which takes all the crap out of Win2k and really makes it fly!