Statistic increase in the use of all old MS OS

cannie

Well 98Guy, that's easy to explain. It's the "EMAIL ONLY" crowd, most of who are slowly learning (or groping their way around) the Internet, and have almost no computer hardware acumen. They upgrade by buying a new machine and throwing away their old one. They are the Great Silent Majority of the Internet. We all know a few; think your uncle mike, aunt Jane and maybe mom, or even grandma.

regards

--bigjet

crahak, you're ignoring whether the OS version was successful or not. With DOS these are incremental upgrades.

Not so. XP Home was meant for home users but not XP Pro. XP was just as much a replacement/improvement over their existing win2k. Most businesses are running XP these days too. It's not like they only want a subset of their user base to upgrade.

No, Windows 2000 was for business. Why do you think there are Windows 2000 Server versions that are almost identical to the client version?

Microsoft has always maintained a home and business line-up. Win9x, WinXP and Windows Vista are for home users. WinNT4, Win2000, Win2003 and Windows 2008 are for business.

Oh yeah, and when MS started hyping up Win2k, it certainly meant they had given up trying to repair NT4's image and only wants to leave it behind as soon as practical!

Ignoring the fact that WinNT4 had gotten a long run and 6(!) service packs.

No, Windows 2000 was for business. Why do you think there are Windows 2000 Server versions that are almost identical to the client version?

Microsoft has always maintained a home and business line-up. Win9x, WinXP and Windows Vista are for home users. WinNT4, Win2000, Win2003 and Windows 2008 are for business.

Win2003 and 2008 are SERVER products, meant to be used in business SERVERS. The workstations are meant to run WinXP/Vista, the same way they were meant to run WinNT4 Workstations paired with NT4 servers, and Win2000 pro with Win2000 server.

Ignoring the fact that WinNT4 had gotten a long run and 6(!) service packs.

I really think he was being sarcastic. Besides, the business market is more resistant to changes. They won't replace half of their computers because they are too slow to run the newest Windows version, so it wasn't practical to abandon NT4 before the SP6a.

I've checked out the W3C stats every month against the precedent since october 2007 and this is the first time that the permanent Vista-Mac upwards tendency is reversed, and also the first time that happens the opposite for the permanent downwards tendency of all other OS.

Trying to find a meaning, I wonder if the world economic crisis has made people more conservative. If you don't have money you don't buy a new car, and also you try to keep using your old computers instead of buying new ones, not only at home but also at any great or small corporation or enterprise.

1. Install XP/Vista
  2. Install Adobe Flash
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiIC5qcXeNU

you now have the best thing to ship on a 9x OS and all the functionality of Modern OS :)

/i keed.

seriously though why bother checking web stats to determine that other people are running 9x at this point? I would think that if your running a 10 year old OS youve gone way beyond the 'caring what other people think of you' stage.

why bother checking web stats to determine that other people are running 9x at this point?

Well, in fact I don't have any kind of personal interest in it. I use XP all day long at work, and Win98 only at home (double boot, essentially to backup/restore XP and for the Internet), and of course everyday I mind only my own business.

I am a member of this forum only to enjoy the pleasure of sharing ideas with other people, no personal interest at all.

I found that stats and it called my attention the unusual of the data, then I shared the news only for the pleasure of sharing it. And suddendly it came to my mind a possible explanation and I also shared it. That's all.

It is great to be in a forum in which the other members don't consider you to be a donkey only because you use a different OS. Hurrah!!!

And I am not against anybody. The world is great and there is a place for everyone of us.

Edited by cannie