Statistic increase in the use of all old MS OS

cannie

that might be a statistic fluctuation. but there is also one possible reason.

People have just massively migrated from desktops to notebooks - even the old ones. In some cases the realized that Win Vista and XP is consuming up too HW much to run them correctly. Win98SE is still good choice for anybody who wants to watch media or browse internet.

At all only very few apps of this type are not compatible with Win98SE.

That's good news! Even a small increase means thousands more users! I'm trying to use my Win 98 box for surfing more, figuring every hit on a website says Win 98 is still alive!

Ah yes, Vista! The ME of the 21st century. The huge push towards Windows 7 tells me that MS has given up trying to repair Vista's image and only wants to leave it behind as soon as practical!

Long live 98! (and 2K, since I run that on my other computer)

I hate to break it to you, but it's not the case at all. Their stats have always sucked.

Just look at the stats from any other such company and you'll see. One prime example of that: hitslink (they have more than 4x the hits and much large number of sites tracked too i.e. far larger sample size, so statistically more accurate/more representative of the overall install base) Their numbers never seem to match any of their competitors (be it hitslink/net applications, statcounter which is even bigger, xiti, onestat, etc). A pretty pic of the overall trend for the last year and a bit here. Nobody else seems to have noticed a similar "trend" (myself included -- we typically have 0 hits/month from Win9x boxes on our site).

When your "increase" shows up on the more reputable counters (and I don't mean as a unexplained statistic fluctuation for a single month but rather as some kind of "ongoing" trend), then you can call it an increase. Right now, it's anything but that.

The descent has been in Vista and Mac.

And that pretty much makes my point. Every other site out there has been seeing record increases in Vista and Mac OS's market shares for many months straight, and decreases with Win9x (even a decrease in Linux this month according to some). And yet again, their numbers are the inverse as everybody else's... The biggest runners up all of a sudden losing ground to the one that's actually been losing the most for a long time? Ya, sure...

The huge push towards Windows 7 tells me that MS has given up trying to repair Vista's image and only wants to leave it behind as soon as practical!

Oh yeah, and when MS started hyping up Vista, it certainly meant they had given up trying to repair WinXP's image and only wants to leave it behind as soon as practical! :rolleyes:

Companies trying to hype up their latest/greatest to promote sales in order to make $ for their shareholders? Tell me it ain't so!

Vista rocks! Flame on...

Edited by crahak

The difference between hitlist and W3C in OS usage statistics is probably caused by a difference in users they sample. If Hitlist would track more hits from the business segment and W3C more from the private segment they will get different statistics and it is possible that the use of win 98 is increasing in some market segements while dropping in others.

I've checked out the W3C stats every month against the precedent since october 2007 and this is the first time that the permanent Vista-Mac upwards tendency is reversed, and also the first time that happens the opposite for the permanent downwards tendency of all other OS.

¿ ?

Edited by cannie

Oh yeah, and when MS started hyping up Vista, it certainly meant they had given up trying to repair WinXP's image and only wants to leave it behind as soon as practical!

Bad analogy, because Windows XP's image is pretty good right now.

Companies trying to hype up their latest/greatest to promote sales in order to make $ for their shareholders? Tell me it ain't so!

The difference is that Windows Vista is still a pretty new OS, and that it still has a bad image.

Bad analogy

It wasn't an analogy (no cars involved anywhere either!). It was sarcasm.

Attempt #2:

Oh yeah, and when MS started hyping up XP, it certainly meant they had given up trying to repair Win2k's image and only wants to leave it behind as soon as practical! rolleyes.gif

See? It never was the case. They've always been doing that, just like any business.

The difference is that Windows Vista is still a pretty new OS, and that it still has a bad image.

Nah. They're doing exactly what they've always been doing about every version of their OS ever, or much like 99%+ of corporations are doing with their products. Business as usual. It's no different.

Looking into my crystal ball, I can already see them hyping up Win 8 once Win 7 has been out for a few months! (what an amazing prophecy! I must have psychic powers of some sort ;)) That must be because Win 7 will suck too? And then what about when it happens with Win 9? Right. Business as usual: companies trying to sell their products. Nothing to see here, move along.

Attempt #2:

Oh yeah, and when MS started hyping up XP, it certainly meant they had given up trying to repair Win2k's image and only wants to leave it behind as soon as practical!

Attempt dismissed. :P Windows 2000 was for business, whereas Windows XP was for the home user.

Windows 2000 was for business, whereas Windows XP was for the home user.

Not so. XP Home was meant for home users but not XP Pro. XP was just as much a replacement/improvement over their existing win2k. Most businesses are running XP these days too. It's not like they only want a subset of their user base to upgrade.

But hey, we can keep doing this for a good while:

Oh yeah, and when MS started hyping up Win2k, it certainly meant they had given up trying to repair NT4's image and only wants to leave it behind as soon as practical!

Oh yeah, and when MS started hyping up DOS 3.3, it certainly meant they had given up trying to repair DOS 3.2's image and only wants to leave it behind as soon as practical!

This is nothing new. All companies do this. It's exactly the same as if he had said Sony is hyping up the PS3 because they gave up on trying to make the PS2 not look like the worst failure ever, or BMW is hyping up this year's model of their flagship car because the old one sucked too darn bad. Whereas, it's just business as usual.

Windows 2000 was for business, whereas Windows XP was for the home user.

2 reasons why Win-xp was "for the home user":

1) M$ retired Win-98/me

2) Hardware driver availability (especially for sound cards) took time to grow for 2K and had matured by the time that XP came out.

In reality, there wasn't much difference (under the hood) between 2K and XP-gold. Back in 2000, M$ pointed to various reasons why 2K was not for the home user. But all those reasons mysteriously dissappeared when XP was pushed out into the retail channel as the replacement for 98/me.

When you look back even further, M$ really never wanted 98 to be seen as a business OS. In their vision of the business world, you had NT4 servers and win-95 desktop clients. When 98 came out, they did not want 98 to be adopted by business users as a replacement for 95. They wanted 95 users to wait until 2k came out, while 98/me was for home users.

What I find strange in the w3counter stats is that the most common screen resolution is 1024 x 768. Either a lot of people have mis-configured screen resolution, or they're using 10-year-old CRT or 14" first-generation LCD monitors.

I would have thought that most displays today would be an even split between 1280 x 1024 (4:3 17" to 19" desktop monitor) and a laptop display (roughly 1400 x 1000). I also would have thought that there would have been some 1600 x 1200, but I don't see any.