Abit Fatal1ty F 190HD Motherboard Problem

ben100014

Hey, everyone, it seems as it has been forever since I have been online here, anyway, let me cut to the chase. My mother wanted a way to record and playback television without using TIVO or a similar brand. So, my father(who essentially taught me everything I know about computers) and myself set off to build our first HTPC. The problem is that the ABIT Fatal1ty F190HD will not post with two dimms, the dimms work fine individually and are definitely are not the problem and they are installed in the correct DIMM Slots. The Mobo seems to post with 1 dimm perfectly in either slot 1 or 2. So, in an effort to resolve this problem, my father and I attempted to raise the DDR2 voltage of the memory which has been suggested elsewhere, this did not fix the problem, either. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Edited by ben100014

... my father and I attempted to raise the DDR2 voltage of the memory which has been suggested elsewhere, this did not fix the problem, either...
That was what I was thinking of too before I came to the line you wrote, however, I still do think it´s a memory incompatibility problem that sometime scan be solved by a BIOS update, if not so, try different type of memory sticks.

You do not say what RAM you have tried -- was it bought as a matched pair? Is it PC6400 or PC8500?

At present the Overclockers UK and manufacturer's forums are full of experiences like yours. If a reasonable over-volt doesn't cure it, the standard advice is to RMA the pair. Unless you have loaded all 4 slots, in which case try a slight north-bridge over-volt first.

You do not say what RAM you have tried -- was it bought as a matched pair? Is it PC6400 or PC8500?

At present the Overclockers UK and manufacturer's forums are full of experiences like yours. If a reasonable over-volt doesn't cure it, the standard advice is to RMA the pair. Unless you have loaded all 4 slots, in which case try a slight north-bridge over-volt first.

It is 4 gigs of dual channel memory (2x2 gigabytes) PC6400 Crucial memory. We also tried 2 gigs of dual-channel G. Skill memory (2x1 gigabyte) which is also PC6400 , but at the present moment it will only post with one gigabyte of memory in either case. And thank you James for the suggestion.

Edited by ben100014

• 2 weeks later...

It is 4 gigs of dual channel memory (2x2 gigabytes) PC6400 Crucial memory. We also tried 2 gigs of dual-channel G. Skill memory (2x1 gigabyte) which is also PC6400 , but at the present moment it will only post with one gigabyte of memory in either case. And thank you James for the suggestion.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

We also tried 2 gigs of dual-channel G. Skill memory (2x1 gigabyte) which is also PC6400 , but at the present moment it will only post with one gigabyte of memory in either case.
One thing left, besides the PSU, the motherboard seems to be faulty.

Sorry, I missed your reply to my questions -- but my reply would have been the same as puntoMX. Trying memory which is both a different brand and a different size and finding nothing works, just leaves the motherboard as the common factor.

• 3 months later...