Some questions on nLite with XP64

oao

Hi,

1. I am slipstreaming a retail version of XP64 SP1. When I click to select SP2 nLite tells me that there are previous hotfixes applied which need to be reversed before SP2. Does that make sense for a MS CD? Does it mean that MS applied hotfixes before making the CD? And why do they need to be reversed?

2. If I already registered Windows with MS do I need to keep the Windows SysPrep on the slipstreamed disc, or can I discard it?

3. I am slipstreaming drivers. But some of them have several .INF files rather than one (e.g. Intel chipset and SATA). So should I specify multiple drivers and select ALL?

Thanks.

Edited by oao

oao,

1. Sounds strange to me, but that nLite looks for this condition suggests it is possible. Has the CD been integrated before? If you say OK, does it go well or end in an error?

2. After you install any new OS you will have to register or you can't use it after 30 days. I have seen this many times. I am not familiar with SysRep, so I really can't talk intelligently about it.

3. Just indicate multiple drivers, then select one. NLite will take the proper action.

Hope this helps. John.

The CD could not have been integrated, because it's not writable. And nLite copies it to the HD so a copy could not be integrated either. It IS strange. But when I accept rollback, it continues OK. I am wondering, however, what it exactly really rolling back? It would be good if the nLite author(s) would respond.

Yes, I know about the 30 days, which is why I registered it. But now that I did, do I still need that facility, or can I tell nLite to leave it out? I dk what the implication is, because as far as I know if I have to reinstall I have to register again (there are bypasses though).

The problem is that when there are several INF files I DK which one to pick, and I DK what happens if I specify the folder and let nLite install all.

I get the popup with previous hotfixes also on a new copy. Windows XP PRO 32bit. I'm not sure why but I've always said no to it and it works.

As for the multiple drivers, choose the one that says something like winxp64 or something along those lines at the end.

I dont want to add to the confusion, but just saying that there does exist an intel itanium version of xp x64, which is, *AFAIK* not the same version, prolly different kernel and stuff?, as the "xp x64" as i normally refer to and use. I have no knowledge on the intel itanium or whatever, so walking blind there.

I get the popup with previous hotfixes also on a new copy. Windows XP PRO 32bit. I'm not sure why but I've always said no to it and it works.

I should try no too. But still, I would like to know what this is all about.

As for the multiple drivers, choose the one that says something like winxp64 or something along those lines at the end.

Some don't say xp64, and with some xp64 there are multiple INF in the same folder.

Guys,

I am only guessing here, but I think there are many drivers on the CD that are not installed. There are IDs on the drivers that are used to determine the correct one to install at the required time, as determined by the hardware (via its ID). I suspect when you include multiple drivers that only the ones really needed get installed during Windows install, even though nLite places them all into the ISO. When nLite asks about 32 or 64 bit you must pick the correct one or there is trouble. I assume this is because the HW and drivers have the same IDs for 32/64 bits. You can look in your Device Manager and your INFs and see the IDs.

You might look at your AMD64 folder and see if there is a SVCPACK folder. I do not have one in my original CD folders but I do after nLite has run. If it is in your original folders, look inside and see if you have a bunch of KB... files. I have many after nLite and assume they were added. Another avenue would be to Google search on your CD label (mine is ARMPXOEM_EN) and see what you can find about its content. When I nLite my original CD folders I get Version 5.2.3790.1820. I suspect the last four numbers reflect the SP and possibly hotfixes. Look at it and see what you can determine.

Hope this helps, John.

I am only guessing here, but I think there are many drivers on the CD that are not installed. There are IDs on the drivers that are used to determine the correct one to install at the required time, as determined by the hardware (via its ID). I suspect when you include multiple drivers that only the ones really needed get installed during Windows install, even though nLite places them all into the ISO. When nLite asks about 32 or 64 bit you must pick the correct one or there is trouble. I assume this is because the HW and drivers have the same IDs for 32/64 bits. You can look in your Device Manager and your INFs and see the IDs.

You might look at your AMD64 folder and see if there is a SVCPACK folder. I do not have one in my original CD folders but I do after nLite has run. If it is in your original folders, look inside and see if you have a bunch of KB... files. I have many after nLite and assume they were added. Another avenue would be to Google search on your CD label (mine is ARMPXOEM_EN) and see what you can find about its content. When I nLite my original CD folders I get Version 5.2.3790.1820. I suspect the last four numbers reflect the SP and possibly hotfixes. Look at it and see what you can determine.

1. That was a good guess about KB's. I found KB911164 in the AMD64 folder. Google came up with this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...6&SiteID=17

Turns out that nLite is aware of it and it offers to roll it back, which seems to be the right course.

2. Regarding the drivers: I sort of assumed the same -- that as long as the drivers are all x64, it does not matter that you specify All, but I was not sure.

But it's rather tricky. Some have folders with multiple INF's and the structure and naming of folders does not say whether they are all 64 or what. So one would have to go into every inf and see if they say if they're 32/64.

I would still like to know if I should nLite out windows registration, as I have already registered it.

But afaik reinstalling it (if I need to) requires re-registration and I don't want to find myself locked out because I eliminated that feature and can't re-register.

oao,

If you Install or even Repair/Re-install, MS will require you to register. I think this is how they enforce their license agreement. I have done a couple of Repairs and had to register.

I have an nVidia chip set and the driver folder is 64 bit only, so I point to all. My Catalyst driver is the same way. I am sure I am getting drivers I can't use but no big deal I figure. I should point out that I have not installed on hardware yet and VMware Server does not test HW drivers at all since it brings its own virtual HW and drivers. My experience has always been that drivers I need are all 64 or all 32 bit.

Hope this helps, John.