can't access BIOS, windows xp reboot loop

VISTA98

I have this PC with bad windows install which I have given up on over a year ago. But a few days ago by coincidence while searching on google I found a link to a microsoft article that looked like the solution I was looking for. So I go and fire up that PC with the Windows XP CD in the drive, as last time I used it it was setup to boot from CD, only to find out that all the BIOS settings are now lost and the thing keeps booting & restarting from the HDD with bad Win XP install (after selection in boot menu). I am using a PS2 keyboard (no USB connected)

So in order to bypass this I need it to boot from the CD but pressing F2 , DEL , F1 etc does nothing regardless

It shows the Intel motherboard logo , and the mother board is stamped intel. Any one know what key to press?

it should appear on the screen.

One more bet is "Esc" or F12 for boot menu.

You could also try to reset the bios by removing the motherboard's battery for a minute.

Does your keyboard work in Windows ? Or can you activate SafeMode menu using F8 ? (Are you sure about the keyboard connection ?

What brand is the PC ? Or ~what year ?

it should appear on the screen.

One more bet is "Esc" or F12 for boot menu.

You could also try to reset the bios by removing the motherboard's battery for a minute.

Does your keyboard work in Windows ? Or can you activate SafeMode menu using F8 ? (Are you sure about the keyboard connection ?

What brand is the PC ? Or ~what year ?

I know it should but it does not. It occurred to me now that its the battery , but right now I don't have a replacement for the coin type battery. Even so , I've had things like this happen in the past with other PCs, in which case a computer can still boot and it lets me access the BIOS menu, it just wont retain the changes. But not this one. This mobo is operating in "radio silence" or some thing. No BIOS error messages.

I already know what keys to use for various BIOS makers but this is new to me. I tried all the F keys , DEL, ESC, and even shifted Function keys. Nothing gets me to the BIOS. I even went to the Intel website to make sure, and its indeed F2 , but it does not work. (I press it at the BIOS splash screen with "Intel motherboards" logo.

Well, I've also discovered that the BIOS is the one showing the "Windows boot & reboot" screens. Because I've disconnected the HDD & removed the Windows CD but this id*** BIOS is still at it pretending to be Windows boot menu. I even plugged another HDD with a good windows install but I could not boot that one either (normal IDE plug though), its the BIOS that keeps lying to me :).

Any how, the original HDD is SATA, its the same one I've posted about in May 07 here. I couldn't come back to check for replies at the time because i was also having problem with ISP back then. Now when it looked like there is a fix , I can't even boot the PC. Its a P 3 Ghz , win XP pro.

By the way thanks to everyone who replied back then :)

If I go in the Advanced Boot Menu and disable reboot on system failure , I see the Windows boot screen , then it gives me a blue screen saying:

A problem has been detected and Winows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

... BLA BLA

Technical Info:

*** STOP :0x000000ED (0x86F72718, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I already looked thru ms support pages

http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul...e+xp&mode=r

but I don't have the causes they listed, and I can't confirm or negate if it is the forced UDMA by the BIOS or not, I can't even access the BIOS.

Like I said previously its a SATA HDD , with SATA cable, so it should not be affected .. I have 2 other DVD drives (writer & player) hooked via 80 strand IDE cables. This is the original factory setup and they used to work, I used to be able to access even the Windows CD recovery , even though it did not work in the past, but at least I was able to boot with that.

Edited by VISTA98

What I would do:

1) disconnect EVERYTHING (ALL drives, optical, floppies, HD's) and the keyboard (leave ONLY the Display)

If the BIOS settings are "default" it should stop with a BIOS error like "keyboard/interface error, Press F1 to resume" :w00t:;)

It should stall on the initial BIOS screen, possibly showing some BIOS information.

Post this info, depending on if it is an AMI, AWARD or other manufacturer BIOS and depending on BIOS version there may be alternate ways to access (or just reset) BIOS settings.

jaclaz

did that, it says:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device

I noticed something odd (before when the drives are connected), in the bottom right corner it shows a code 00B12, now when I reconnected after I tried what you advised I no longer see that code appear. It used to appear for a fraction of a second after the BIOS logo screen, now nothing (the BIOS logo still shows "Intel Desktop Boards" with P4 logo as well.

You have 2 options i think;

1> Try reset the BIOS with the jumpers, which are normally 3 pins next to the battery with a jumper on 2 of them, remove it and place it on the opposite 2 and then put it back.

2> Corrupt BIOS, in which case you need to search the model and download the latest flash drives on to a floppy and reflash the thing

Edited by Yzöwl
Expletive Removed

Have you tried the Tab key?

This should take away the Intel Logo and usually show you what to press to enter BIOS. If not, maybe bad keyboard or PS2 port?

(Keyboard isn't wireless is it??)

Edited by twig123

keyboard is direct PS/2 by (works fine)

tried the battery removal , no change, I will try the Jumper reset and report back tomorrow.

+

I just remembered that when I select some options from Windows boot menu it lists the drivers its loading then it stops at 440agp (or agp440) , could this be a video driver causing the hang , because I have an AGP expansion card in this system. It came pre installed so I haven't tried removing it yet.

Edited by VISTA98

keyboard is direct PS/2 by (works fine)

tried the battery removal , no change, I will try the Jumper reset and report back tomorrow.

+

I just remembered that when I select some options from Windows boot menu it lists the drivers its loading then it stops at 440agp (or agp440) , could this be a video driver causing the hang , because I have an AGP expansion card in this system. It came pre installed so I haven't tried removing it yet.

I cant see how that would explain you not getting in to BIOS - but yeh it would explain you not reaching windows and blue screening if your card has a driver/hardware fault

The agp440.sys error is UNRELATED to the BIOS issue, and most probably UNRELATED to the booting problem.

The line where booting stops indicates LAST already booted driver, so the one giving proble is the one that will be loaded next (which name is not displayed).

Pretty smart way of configuring the booting in case of problems implemented by the good MS guys, if I may. :whistle:

This might help you for a possible procedure of troubleshooting:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-x...sys/130448.html

jaclaz