Important Info About Windows 98 From Brian Livingston

Bug_zs

Guys, even though this is a Windows 98 forum, I think what I found in Brian Livingston's

newsletter http://windowssecrets.com/comp/081030 about the latest MS patch MS08-067 is important to see.

* "Are Windows NT and Windows 98 machines susceptible to the security hole?"

Windows NT, 95, 98, and Me are supported by Microsoft only for customers who PAY A FEE. As a result,

Microsoft releases patches for these operating systems only to people who have Premier support contracts with the company.

However, as was reported on the Patch Management blog by Eric Schultze of patch-management vendor

Shavlik.com, Microsoft has provided a fix for this problem to customers who pay for NT patches.

Sooooooooooo, it looks like we have to find someone on this board who has access to a

"Premier support contract" and will upload these 98 patches to Rapidshare so us 98ers are keeping our asses covered.

I hope this helps y'all out.

Bug_zs

P. S. By the way, Livingston's free newsletter is always full of goodies.

Unfortunately, it costs a good amount of money to keep someone on the payroll (or some group of people) who still have access to and knowledge of the 9x and NT4 codebase. It costs tens of thousands of dollars to write, test, and package a hotfix for issues on these platforms, so yes, only customers willing to pay a somewhat exhorbitant fee for a hotfix for a platform that is out of support (and heck the 9x codebase is no longer even maintained) will get one.

Also, redist of Microsoft code is strictly forbidden, so if you guys want to do this on your own outside MSFN, I can't stop you, but we won't discuss it here as per forum rules. Thread closed.