XP User Picture removed on accident

adiabolist

I'm semi new to nlite, but I've managed to work out all the bugs on my installation except for one. I'm using a Vista theme, and on the start menu instead of a user picture there is just an empty box. I've looked through my options, but I can't seem to figure out what I did to remove the user picture from the installation? I can see a remove user name option, but how did I remove the picture?

XP OEM, all updates, IE7.0, WMP11 all hotfixes, VTP (Icons, common dialogs, cursors, etc, no themes installed from VTP, no 3rd party apps, just the basics)

I've attached my last session.ini, your expertise is much appreciated =)

Last_Session.ini

create the following folder structure in yr xp distributtion :

$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures

Place bmp files of size 48*48 inside "Default Pictures" folder.

Name only one image file as Administrator.bmp and place inside "$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" folder.

This way u can add ur own pictures instead of builtin xp pictures.

Edited by rajesh.kumar

Multimedia / Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

I'll be sure not to remove that one in the future, thanks!

create the following folder structure in yr xp distributtion :

$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures

Place bmp files of size 48*48 inside "Default Pictures" folder.

Name only one image file as Administrator.bmp and place inside "$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" folder.

This way u can add ur own pictures instead of builtin xp pictures.

It occurred to me what it was, I had forced classic logon on first boot. I don't think I was smart enough to figure that out on my own honestly, I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere a year or so ago and after dwelling on my problem for a few days it came back to me. I changed my install to the welcome screen with no other changes and it resolved the problem.

However, I like your solution much better, I'm going to use the $OEM$ folder in the future because I don't want to switch it to classic logon after install. So thanks for that tip!

It appears that you have to use the welcome screen on the first login if you want xp to create whatever it creates that places the user picture on the start menu. The $OEM$ folder worked at allowing me to make custom user pictures, and use them for certain user names, but it didn't add the picture to the start menu. I just added the force classic menu to my reg edits to run after first login.

• 2 weeks later...