Error on Page

Evanhoe

Let us say, for example, that this site uses a code feature that wasn't adopted into the standard at the time your browser came out. THis can cause this type of behaviour. You should be able to find old versions of browsers, like Firefox or Opera, and try using the site with those and see if it works properly for you.

Also, if you have the "error on page" thing down there, you can double-click on it and it will tell you where the error is.

Another reason to get this when the website is perfectly fine and the browser is working properly is that the entirety of the page code is acquired during the GET action, which can cause this. Or, for example, IE is using an outdated locally cached include file (like a JD or CSS or anything) and the one on the website has been revised. if these two files (the new website files and the cached files) do not match up (such as making calls to elements that have been renamed, removed or added) you will get this message as well.

EDIT: there is no simple fix. Recommended steps:

1. Clear temporary internet files (with ie closed).

2. Clear history

3. Clear cookies

4. Reboot (to remove possible session data)

5. go back to the page

6. Post your error (if it comes back) to this thread.

But all in all, this isn't a site issue as much as a software problem imo.

Thanks for the detailed explanations you provided.I'll have a go at the suggested Fixes,and see if that can help solve this thing.Thanks again,appreciated

Make sure you have SCRIPTS ENABLED Evanhoe on your 98 computer..

Goto internet options/security/custom and scroll down to ACTIVE SCRIPTING and make sure its set to ENABLE..

"My assistant" and "My friends" are JAVASCRIPT handled so if you have SCRIPTS DISABLED,you wont be able to use those 2 options...

Good luck :)

Edited by Dude111

Make sure you have SCRIPTS ENABLED Evanhoe on your 98 computer..

Goto internet options/security/custom and scroll down to ACTIVE SCRIPTING and make sure its set to ENABLE..

"My assistant" and "My friends" are JAVASCRIPT handled so if you have SCRIPTS DISABLED,you wont be able to use those 2 options...

Good luck :)

Hi Dude,

Still no luck! Active Scripting is in fact Enabled already. Other than ''My Assistant'' I just discovered,I can't use the ''Options'' button either! Thanks for helping though.

What browser is this happening in mostly?

Firefox for example lets you DISABLE SCRIPTS locally IN THAT BROWSER ONLY.... (Same with Maxthon (MyIE2))

Whats happening is you have SCRIPTS DISABLED which is why you cant use OPTIONS either....

You can try RE-INSTALLING IE and see if that helps....

Goto search and find IE.INF .. Right click the file and choose INSTALL... (It will re-install it)

I think thats the correct way to re-install it,i hope someone will chime in and tell the right way if it isnt but i think it is :)

Edited by Dude111

Firefox for example lets you DISABLE SCRIPTS locally IN THAT BROWSER ONLY.... (Same with Maxthon (MyIE2))

Whats happening is you have SCRIPTS DISABLED which is why you cant use OPTIONS either....

Goto search and find IE.INF .. Right click the file and choose INSTALL... (It will re-install it)

I think thats the correct way to re-install it,i hope someone will chime in and tell the right way if it isnt but i think it is :)

Hi Dude,

I use the IE Browser

I don't have Firefox installed

I tried your tip about reinstalling IE,but it only showed IE4! I use IE6 on this Win 98 computer.

Have'nt tried disabling Scripts yet,to see if that will help.Thanks again.

Hi Dude,

I have Disabled ''Scripts'' as you suggested,but it made no difference,problems still there.I've now re-enabled the Scipts thing.Thanks again.

Try what i suggested with the IE.INF file.. Right click it and choose INSTALL

Let us know if it works :)

Hi Dude,

Tried above,still no success! Pls note:When I searched for IE.INF and checked In Notepad,-it indicated that this was for IE4! Does this matter,as we have IE6 installed on this Win 98 Computer?Thanks.

Problem is caused by out of date browser software and its inability to parse modern code. How do you fix it? - well without wanting to come across as being an a** with you, you already know the answer = upgrade, as Tarun rightly pointed out. Im guessing that your wifes computer is a bit on the old side, that or she is one of those people who really doesent ever want upgrade and cling to 98 for dear life, like some old car (till eventually it rusts out)

Well the rust has made big holes in the foot wells, and its time to get a new motor.

You could pick up a decent machine running Vista home premium from Dell or Fujitsu for very little money. I say decent, compared to what your wife must be using right now, and also im guessing she doesent use it to do anything too taxing like playing Call of duty 4 and video editing etc etc (well if she does id like to know how she does on 98!)

Alternatively, you could upgrade the machine to 2000, which would most likley solve your issue, improve security and the general lifespan of the machine. 2000 isnt too different from 98 in the UI department, so wouldnt really be a learning curve even, plus it should run on similar hardware.

Problem is caused by out of date browser software and its inability to parse modern code. How do you fix it? - well without wanting to come across as being an a** with you, you already know the answer = upgrade, as Tarun rightly pointed out. Im guessing that your wifes computer is a bit on the old side, that or she is one of those people who really doesent ever want upgrade and cling to 98 for dear life, like some old car (till eventually it rusts out)

Well the rust has made big holes in the foot wells, and its time to get a new motor.

You could pick up a decent machine running Vista home premium from Dell or Fujitsu for very little money. I say decent, compared to what your wife must be using right now, and also im guessing she doesent use it to do anything too taxing like playing Call of duty 4 and video editing etc etc (well if she does id like to know how she does on 98!)

Alternatively, you could upgrade the machine to 2000, which would most likeley solve your issue, improve security and the general lifespan of the machine. 2000 isnt too different from 98 in the UI department, so wouldnt really be a learning curve even, plus it should run on similar hardware.

Thanks for the trouble you went ,with the nice speech you provided.We know all that,but the fact remains that a few months ago, we did not have this P--A problem!

To upgrade to Win 2000,Would that not require that we buy OS disk? Thanks.

Alternatively, you could upgrade the machine to 2000, which would most likeley solve your issue, improve security and the general lifespan of the machine. 2000 isnt too different from 98 in the UI department, so wouldnt really be a learning curve even, plus it should run on similar hardware.

Thanks for the trouble you went ,with the nice speech you provided.We know all that,but the fact remains that a few months ago, we did not have this P--A problem!

To upgrade to Win 2000,Would that not require that we buy OS disk? Thanks.