Performance Comparison Vista SP2 vs. Windows 7 6801

pallavsuri

That article is so vague I don't really know what they're doing to compare performance between a pre-beta, debug-build (unoptimized) OS code versus retail-build (optimized, unchecked) code. Basically they say it's the same because the process and thread count is similar, and skype crashes? That's the article? Come on, better journalism please. I expect no less from dailytech, but it's still mostly trash.

edit:

i think win7s is faster then server 2008

the deleting files is more fast [ deleting the old os 40k files around 8 40secs 1000 items for one sec ]

the counting and the deleting much faster

loading apps and changing windows is just gr8

Yes, win7 is faster when it comes to deleting copying files, and apps are also faster on win7. But overall experience with win7 was not great, as the explorer kept crashing, and multitasking was also for some reason not smooth compare to vista on my 4gb ram.

Am gona install win7 again, and give a try, and compare with vista

it's pre-beta, what do you expect?

pre-beta is just an insight of what is to come, ms don't release them publicly to the masses for a reason

this will shape out very nicely, just wait for the rtm

it's pre-beta, what do you expect?

pre-beta is just an insight of what is to come, ms don't release them publicly to the masses for a reason

this will shape out very nicely, just wait for the rtm

And this 6801 build is for developers only...

• 3 weeks later...
After couple of hours of testing, i see still server 2008 (configured as workstation) is faster than win7.

Boot time for server 2008 = 35sec

boot time for win7 = 42-45 sec

Applications runs slightly more faster than win7, and also multitasking is much more smoother under server 2008.

Its too early to tell, but i think win7 will be more faster, and improve as time goes, just waiting for beta 1 of win7.

There's always Server 2010 to look forward to.

You say slow file transfers were fixed in SP1 but they aren't that much faster than pre-SP1 and certainly are not as fast as XP SP2 was.

I admit I might be slightly subjective as I haven't used XP SP2 as my main OS for a while but there was certainly a noticeable slowdown between XP and Vista SP1.

My question was more of a "Have they improved the file transfer speeds" which seems to have been subjectively answered with

but in windows 7, file transfer is super fast
so I am happy :)

You say slow file transfers were fixed in SP1 but they aren't that much faster than pre-SP1 and certainly are not as fast as XP SP2 was.

Wanna bet?

Get a stopwatch and a copy of XP & Vista.

Just because it 'feels' slower to you doesn't mean it is.

I have been using for about 3 hours and not to jump the gun, but it works just fine so far. the boot time the same but apps open up faster and more cpu does not seem to work as hard doing the same things as before , surfing playing music and downloading at the same time on a 2160 clocked to 2.4ghz a 2 gigs of ram with a 1950pro vid and a new 1.5 ter bite drive I just got. This is on a clean install of vista ultimate I did on Monday so that may also be helping me. the ram us is down about 15% too on a non-tweaked system at 43% with nothing open was at 60 on clean install , I will say on first boot my core usage was at 100% for like 10 min I went and made a turkey sand and came back and it was at 0 on both cores . And has not gone above 20 yet, lol I think they got something right folks. I would not be afraid to try on a clean install. As that is what I can talk about. But I never had any of the issues with vista that I have seen on the net besides it being a resorce hog. Lol well good luck to all those that are brave enough to try!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup

• 1 month later...