Performance Comparison Vista SP2 vs. Windows 7 6801

pallavsuri

i tested boot-time's win7 with 512mb ram and 1024mb ram ;o its the same

50second [ full screen vmware winamp runing on background]

I also tested it with 2gb ram win7 x64, boot time was 45 sec. But the overall peformance of win7 (non-vlited) compare to a vista (almost everything removed) is awesome. Windows 7 is not even a beta 1 release, and the performance its showing is very promising.

I remove a hell of a lot of components using vlite (i only keep about 5-6 things with extreme, paint, notepad, .NET and a few others) with the current installation of Windows 7 6801... it runs at the same performance of my vista vlited install with is great! Did i forget to mention that it is a non-vlited install of Windows 7

so what's was that? Or i read it wrong? :wacko:

I remove a lot of components with windows vista...... Windows 7 (full) runs faster than my fully vlited vista install.

Sorry then, I thought you did it on 6801 :blushing::whistle:

gr8

did u test server 2008 vs 7 too ?

anyway i still love server edition much less bloated with stuff

and the os already tweaked to which i need

No time yet, going to test server 2008 vs win7 soon. Am pretty sure it will be faster than server as well, and if it is then, for the first time am going to say "Congrats Microsoft"..lol :P

ur vista is sp2 beta ?

im wondering if sp2 fix the os to max performance

No, its vista sp1, coz there is no vista sp2 64 bit yet, and i only use 64bit OS, (maybe SP2 x64 is out now, nt sure)

I think sp2 does fix those common performance issues, and adds alot reliability to vista os.

Going to wait for sp2 x64 before i do vistax64 vs win7 x64

Edited by shahed26

if vista sp2 or server sp2 vs win7 have the same performance i wont be surprise

I have a strong feeling, vista sp2 and server sp2 will have very similar performance to windows7.

Vista SP2 will have the tweaks microsoft applied to windows 7 to make it more reliable and run faster (so similar performance compare to win7). But still we will have to wait for the final results when the final version of sp2 releases, and by then we will have windows 7 beta 3 (hopefully).

I think Microsoft as usual thinking bout money money :P , and sp2 vista will be the same as windows 7, but microsoft will charge full amount for windows7 jus for few extra features, eg touchscreen stuffs..

Edited by shahed26

i dont think that win7 pre - beta to beta or rtm will have significant performance increase

just new feathers

win7 is not new whole os its based on vista

its nt 6.1 there not a lot work to do

fmo win7 prebeta is much stable then vista sp1

Edited by aviv00

I agree aviv00, win7 is more like vista second edition, its just ms is calling win7, and not vista SE. (am sure u knw why ms wouldnt link vista name with win7)

Anyways, we will have to wait for beta 1 to see any performance increase over this pre-beta, if there is more speed compare to this pre-beta build, then we can expect more tweaks and more speed in beta 2. And the same performance of win7 can also be gained with vista sp2 (am pretty sure)

Edited by shahed26

Win7 should be a better performer than Vista, although I doubt we'll see huge performance gains (just like XP over 2000 wasn't huge, nor was 2000 over NT4). It should be much more efficient (great for those with laptops and netbooks) and should definitely run faster, but I don't know how noticeable it will be on Vista-era hardware and newer.

Also, totally off-topic, but what happened to whole words and punctuation in sentences? I think Shakespeare must be rolling in his grave anytime someone uses "TXT" or 1337-speek over, you know, actual whole words. <sigh>.

After couple of hours of testing, i see still server 2008 (configured as workstation) is faster than win7.

Boot time for server 2008 = 35sec

boot time for win7 = 42-45 sec

Applications runs slightly more faster than win7, and also multitasking is much more smoother under server 2008.

Its too early to tell, but i think win7 will be more faster, and improve as time goes, just waiting for beta 1 of win7.

gr8 news ;) server rox!

now win7s vs server 2008 ;D

edit:

i think win7s is faster then server 2008

the deleting files is more fast [ deleting the old os 40k files around 8 40secs 1000 items for one sec ]

the counting and the deleting much faster

loading apps and changing windows is just gr8

Edited by aviv00