Autocad/engineering Laptop

sven

Hey Everyone,

I need your advice for a laptop for university. i need a semi-powerful laptop that can run autocad 2009 and other 3D drafting programs moderately to pretty well (pretty well would be prefered) but under 999$ canadian. The university Recommends this computer, http://www.mcgill.ca/emf/laptop/, but if i can get similar specs for cheaper that would be great.

I was looking at the 14 inch dell inspiron, but i would have to upgrade the parts and it might be better to buy the one from the school.

Thanks a lot

Sven

Toshiba = EEEWWW!!!!

Honestly, stay away. I can't count the number of half-broken Toshiba's I've had to fix in the past couple of years. Their quality control is terrible, and their customer service isn't that much better either.

If you're serious about using CAD software on the laptop, you'll want to look into one of the OpenGL targeted graphics cards. This means looking for a Quadro or FireGL based notebook. I know you can get Lenovo's with Quadro cards for not that much money - roughly $1200 base price. With modelling and drafting tools, the graphics card is just as important as the processor. The Dell Inspiron lineup just doesn't cut it here...

I'd look into a Lenovo Thinkpad T61. The base price is about $950, and you'll want to upgrade the CPU up one notch (T8300) and buy some RAM upgrades from NCIX or the like (should be less than $100 incl shipping). All in all, it might break the $1000 budget slightly, but the increased quality will more than make up for it (just ask any serious business person).

Hey Everyone,

I need your advice for a laptop for university. i need a semi-powerful laptop that can run autocad 2009 and other 3D drafting programs moderately to pretty well (pretty well would be prefered) but under 999$ canadian. The university Recommends this computer, http://www.mcgill.ca/emf/laptop/, but if i can get similar specs for cheaper that would be great.

I was looking at the 14 inch dell inspiron, but i would have to upgrade the parts and it might be better to buy the one from the school.

Thanks a lot

Sven

SVEENNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! :hello:

Go for the Thinkpad like Zxian suggested. ;) Or a MacBook Pro (you'd definitely break the $1000 budget with this one, hehehe)! :thumbup

Go for the Thinkpad like Zxian suggested. ;) Or a MacBook Pro (you'd definitely break the $1000 budget with this one, hehehe)! :thumbup

MBP doesn't have the OpenGL based graphics card... ;)

Yeah, I know. But you know me and how obsessed I am with my MBP. :P Spreading the word... :whistle:

+1 For Lenovo, they have great notebooks, and since Cluberti showed me that they have the option to build your own, so with a 1680*1050 or even a 1920*1200, 12 cell battery pack and so much more options, I must say that there is not much left other than Lenovo.

I was a Dell fan before but they are WAY over priced now.